Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahernandez1
What's DOS?
Views: 476
Message 1 of 21

problems with my 3g connection

hello, i'm using this phone as we know it comes from at&t

now i'm in Dominican Republic and activate it with claro Rep Dom wich works in the same 3g band that at&t does, but i cant get the 3g connection just the edge connection, and the option to select 3g or edge is lock, i can select nothing,

someone can help me with this issue or does someone have found the same problem?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 2 of 21

Re: problems with my 3g connection

ahernandez wrote:

hello, i'm using this phone as we know it comes from at&t

now i'm in Dominican Republic and activate it with claro Rep Dom wich works in the same 3g band that at&t does, but i cant get the 3g connection just the edge connection, and the option to select 3g or edge is lock, i can select nothing,

someone can help me with this issue or does someone have found the same problem?

This sounds like you may have to contact the carrier. Do you have a SIM card installed from that carrier?

I would call the carrier, and see if the APN's are set up correctly.

Thanks,

J

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 3 of 21

Try the app Tweakker by Tweakker in the Android Market. I think that it is

now completely free.

The app will set your APN settings for you....

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
picasssaa
What's DOS?
Message 4 of 21

I have the same problems with phone, but I'm from Belarus. Tweakker don't helped. APN settings is correct, but on tab "select network" is "automatic" and i can't choose nothing. Please, help.

ahernandez1
What's DOS?
Message 5 of 21

all the information about the apn settings are correct, they works i can access to the internet but just with the edge connection, but as i told you before i cant get the 3g connection.

please if someone have solved this problem help us....

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Message 6 of 21

@ahernandez

What country are you in?  Does AT&T have a 3G agreement with the carrier there?

edit:  Nevermind.  You are in DR (previous post) 

Found this on the AT&T website:

http://www.wireless.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?MNC=CING&CIDL=214&dropFormChoi...

Dominican Republic
INTERNATIONAL WIRELESS CARRIERS, COVERAGE, AND SERVICE
Network CarrierCoverageAvailable ServicesTechnology & Frequency
ClaroGSM/GPRS coverage in major cities and towns
GSM/GPRS Coverage Map
UMTS coverage may be limited to major population areas.
  • Voice
  • Data
  • EDGE
  • 2-way text messaging
  • UMTS 850; GSM/GPRS 850/1900
    OrangeGSM/GPRS coverage in Santa Domingo; spotty coverage throughout the islandUMTS coverage may be limited to major population areas.
  • Voice
  • Data
  • EDGE
  • 2-way text messaging
  • UMTS 900; GSM/GPRS 900/1900

You may not be able to place calls to international destinations other than the United States while roaming in this destination. Calls can be completed within the visited destination and back to the United States.

Comment in the spirit of COMMUNITY: "Share experiences / expertise, engage in the discussions, and offer advice and suggestions."
    ahernandez1
    What's DOS?
    Message 7 of 21

look, i guess that information is for roaming plans, but i have my cellphone unlocked and activated with claro dominican republic, wich works in the same band, so this is why i dont understand why this cell doesnt work with the 3g band, i have a friend wich activated a blackberry torch from at&t in claro and he can works with no problem with the 3g band.

Moto Sr Moderator
    Moto Sr Moderator
    Message 8 of 21

picasssaa wrote:

I have the same problems with phone, but I'm from Belarus. Tweakker don't helped. APN settings is correct, but on tab "select network" is "automatic" and i can't choose nothing. Please, help.

I was advised of the following:

1. If the network only supports 2G, the user will not be able to see or select the 3G band from the list of networks.  It will be locked to 2G.
    2. If the user is in an area that is not covered by 3G, the user will not be able to see or select the 3G band from the list of networks.

ahernandez1
    What's DOS?
    Message 9 of 21

yes i know but in my case claro works in the 3g band with at&t, as i told you before a friend on mine has a blackberry torch from at&t and he has 3g connection with no problem.

do you understand?

Moto Sr Moderator
    Moto Sr Moderator
    Message 10 of 21

@ahernandez

My apologies.  I guess I did not go back far enough in this thread to get all those details

So your friend with the AT&T Blackberry can do what you cannot, even though

• both of you are in the same area (using the same towers, not in the same country) and
    • using local SIM cards from Claro Dominican Republic. 

OK.  Let me think on this...

FYI: I have minimal experience traveling with an unlocked CDMA phone and using a local SIM, so if anyone else can weigh in that'd be great!