Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsFedora
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

08-10-2020

Netherlands

14 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 1 of 3

Fedora systems with NVIDIA cards only?

2020-08-10, 20:39 PM

Today the P1-gen3 appeared on the website. And what I already feared reading the PSREF: there is no NVIDIA-free P1 available anymore. While this option did exist for gen2.

This is really disappointing, as when the Fedora-support was announced, it was announced for the gen2, so I expected it to also be available without an NVIDIA-card.

I do not understand why computer-manufacturers deliver NVIDIA-graphic cards for Linux system, while anyone in the business knows that NVIDIA is actively obstructing the Linux community to support their cards. And I'm sure that Lenovo and the Fedora community did their best to support the card. But that only holds right now. We saw in the past, when Wayland was introduced, that it is perfectly possible for Fedora to drop the support for NVIDIA-cards in the future.

One might say that in that case you could simply disable the NVIDIA-card, but even this could lead to unexpected results. (Like flickering of the screen, system failed to wake up out of sleep. Search this or other forums for more examples)

So what happens is that you pay more for the NVIDIA-card, but the actual performance of the system is worse than without it. (This is, when you do not need it, if you want to play games, or do heavy video-encoding or GPU-calculations, the card might be useful - for now)

According to PSREF there will be a X1 Extreme without NVIDIA-card in gen3. (While this option did not exist for gen2) As I understood this machine is effectively the same, although it won't get Fedora-support.

So apart from venting my disappointment, I also have two questions: 

1. is the X1 Extreme really the same (fingerprint-sensor and such?). 
  2. And will it be possible to buy one without operating system? PSREF says that the Windows is optional. But this is also mentioned for the P1, but I don't have the option to buy one without DOS on the website.
Options

15 Posts

08-10-2020

Netherlands

14 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Fedora systems with NVIDIA cards only?

2020-08-11, 11:52 AM

I stand corrected, after two sessions of random clicking on the site. I did see a P1-gen3 with integrated graphics (without NVIDIA) after all!

I'm really happy with this. Now I only have to press F5 until the end of August (presumably) to wait for the Fedora option to appear...

What I had to do was: (This is in The Netherlands)

• Choose the cheapest base configuration
  • select an i7-10850H or i9-10885H processor
  • The option integrated graphics appear

When you select another base-configuration, even if you choose one of the above processors, there are only NVIDIA-card options. I do not know why, though. Can someone explain how the configuration-scheme of Lenovo works?

Options

11 Posts

08-11-2020

United States of America

16 Signins

110 Page Views

• Views: 110
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Fedora systems with NVIDIA cards only?

2020-08-11, 16:29 PM
The X1 Carbon Gen 8 is Intel graphics, also.
Fedora Project Leader. Ask me anything! (But please don't send me private messages on this forum. That doesn't scale! If you have a question, someone else probably does too — and someone else might know the answer better than I do anyway!)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms