Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsFedora
All Forum Topics
Options

NVIDIA driver likely causing unsafe shutdowns of SSD (X1 Extreme 2)

2020-08-13, 9:29 AM

I have Fedora 32 installed on my X1 Extreme Gen 2 (i7 9750H, GTX1650, Intel SSD), with full disk luks2 encryption.

After I installed NVIDIA driver, when I shut down my machine, the Lenovo banner and fedora splash screeen does not appear normally like that on open source drivers, and a few dmesg show up, saying things like "failed to finalize dm devices, ignoring" which I believe is related to my encrypted SSD.

Then I installed smartmontools, finding that my SSD has 63 unsafe shutdowns which is very concerning. Meanwhile, the boot time can be as long as 30 seconds which is definitely not right for a machine like this, and I believe unsafe shutdowns are the cause.

Any ideas?

Options

15 Posts

08-10-2020

Netherlands

14 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:NVIDIA driver likely causing unsafe shutdowns of SSD (X1 Extreme 2)

2020-08-13, 17:53 PM

The answer you are not waiting for:

1. You are using an NVIDIA-card on Linux.... don't do that. (Ok, probably not your fault. Lenovo, help us!)
  2. You are using the closed NVIDIA-drivers on Fedora. This basically means that you won't get the superb help you normally get from the Fedora community. Fedora is really centered around having their own eco-system that they can control fully. You choose to use something out of their control, so it's hard to help you there. Maybe it could be an option to try another Linux-distribution for which using the proprietary NVIDIA-drivers is more common. Like Pop!_OS. 
  3. It's NVIDIA's closed driver, so the one who can really help you, is NVIDIA. Might sound cynical, but in my experience there are some people working at NVIDIA, who are really keen on helping users with problems with their drivers. Check their forums and mailing-lists for help.
  4. Investigate it somewhat more yourself. (Also needed if you want NVIDIA's help). I'm wondering how long it takes to shutdown. Should only take a few seconds. If it takes longer it is probably waiting for something, and after a while it will kill this 'thing' the hard way. Might be the cause of the unsafe releases. On a terminal, type 'journalctl'. Then type: '/System is powering down'+enter. (without the quotes). This will show you the log from the moment you requested the system to shutdown. Scroll down and see if you see something strange. Note that while it would be nice to have a nice and clear shutdown-log. It is quite common that some errors appear. Don't panic immediately, but try to find something that can be related to your problem. The log should end with 'Journal stopped'. (And start again with '-- Reboot --'
Options

2020-08-13, 19:16 PM

It only takes a few seconds to shut down. I've read the journals and didn't find anything special. They are basically the same either with intel graphics or nvidia. The unsafe shutdown count does not increase every time I shut down my machine, but does increase slowly during my day to day use and I never unsafely power off my computer. So it's hard to actually locate the problem.

I don't want to use nvidia at all but it seems the HDMI port is hard wired to nvidia card. I cannot use an external monitor with integrated graphics: totally unusable in xorg and very low fps in wayland. So I'm basically stuck with a laptop that doesn't work with an external display. Since I only have a HDMI cable, I haven't tried connecting through usb-c port, can anyone provide some information?

Options

2020-08-13, 19:21 PM

The slow boot problem mentioned in the original post seems irrelevant, I managed to speed up boot time by using this command: sudo systemctl mask NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Options

236 Posts

12-17-2018

United States of America

380 Signins

2486 Page Views

• Views: 2486
  • Message 5 of 8

2020-08-14, 10:09 AM

So I have been doing some testing around the X1 Extreme Gen2 and external graphics.  It looks like you can driver external monitors via HDMI when in Hybrid mode and not use the NViidia proprietary driver. If you are running Fedora 32 or Ubuntu 20.04 the external HDMI and USB-C ports work in pass through mode when using the nouveau built in driver and Wayland  instead of Xorg for display.  Note: I have seen some issues related to suspend/resume in this configuration. The take away here is Fedora will look into nouveau and Wayland to determine the cause of the suspend/resume issue (collecting data to open ticket to Fedora) where as stated already they will not look into the NVidia close source driver.

Options

2020-08-14, 13:05 PM

Thank you for the information. Indeed external monitor can be used under Wayland through HDMI, but the fps is quite low, especially when I switch to external display only (less than 30 I think) and it's painful to look at (I'm using 1080p screens). 

Is it possible to use intel graphics for external display rather than nouveau?

Options

236 Posts

12-17-2018

United States of America

380 Signins

2486 Page Views

• Views: 2486
  • Message 7 of 8

2020-08-14, 14:50 PM

The problem is the ports are wired to the nvidia dGpu so the nouveau driver is the one handling the display but since you  are in hybrid mode the main driver is the Intel driver so there is a kind of handoff of data to make it work and that is probably where the bottle neck is.  How are you measuring the frame rate?  Any information I could get for the Red Hat team that does Fedora would help them to improve this in the future

Options

2020-08-14, 16:04 PM

I don't really know any tools that can show fps on desktop environment, the number is just my estimation. 

I did some tests again. The difference should be very observable when using gnome, clicking the "activities" overview on the top left corner. The animation of windows overview is very smooth on laptop, but sluggish with an external display. However, when doing some lighter tasks such as opening and closing windows, the animations remain smooth.

In a wayland session, under Settings -> About page, the graphics drivers appear as llvmpipe/Intel graphics. It seems the first one, llvmpipe, is for NVIDIA card. After some searching, I got to know that llvmpipe is a software accelerated driver, so maybe this is causing the poor performance?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms