Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsFedora
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

04-02-2020

Netherlands

31 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 1 of 5

Should I reinstall Fedora on my P1G2?

2020-10-31, 15:09 PM

I bought my ThinkPad P1 Gen 2 before it was fully supported by Lenovo for Fedora. I installed Fedora 32 on it and I ran into some problems then. Now that Lenovo supports my laptop for Fedora I thought that maybe my problems can be solved by reinstalling Fedora entirely. I already back-upped all my files and they weren't a lot so that will not be a problem. Let me put up some links which I think would help anyone trying to help me:

My problem is this:

I have an integrated Intel graphics card and a discrete Nvidia graphics card (I think it's Quatro T1000 but not sure entirely). When I installed Fedora initially, I used the open-source nouveau drivers but when I plugged in an external display it would not show anything since the hdmi port on my laptop is connected to the discrete graphics card. The solution I had then and which I still use is to install the Nvidia drivers and enable in the BIOS "discrete graphics only". I am using this with xorg instead of Wayland. It works well but I would really like to use both my graphics cards since that will enhance my battery life significantly.

My suggested solution:

• BIOS update (using this link?)
  • Change the BIOS so that it has:
    • Secure boot disabled
    • Sleep mode set to "Windows" (or "Linux", I am not sure)
    • Let both graphics cards be used
  • Reinstall the Fedora 32 from scratch
  • Update all packages with dnf
  • Update all firmware with fwudp
  • Install the Nvidia drivers using the support page I linked above

My question:

If I do this, would this fix things or make things at least better? If so: should I use xorg or Wayland? Is "Windows" sleep mode better or "Linux"? And most importantly: could this make sure Fedora uses both my graphics cards while still being able to plug in external monitors?

Options

1363 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

580 Signins

7050 Page Views

• Views: 7050
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Should I reinstall Fedora on my P1G2?

2020-11-01, 16:59 PM

Hello,

Of course you want to install Fedora!

So for your list of "todo" items:

A)  System bios:  Select the "SUPPORT" button at the top of this page.  Plot in your serial number in a search box.  From the screen for your EXACT SERIAL NUMBER, use the automated driver program to find your latest BIOS, then install it.

1)  IF your IT department policy requires the latest BIOS to be installed, check to see if your BIOS is updatable under Linux. Not all Lenovo BIOS are, but a project is in place to make more and more of them available.  If your BIOS is only available under WIndows, either plan on dual booting, or find a work around.

B)  The latest Fedora 33 Workstation installation USB works fine with SECURE BOOT ENABLED.  Use the Fedora Media Creator app to download it and burn it to a USB drive.

C)  For the nvidia graphics card activation, an accountants attention to detail is necessary.  So EXACTLY WHICH nivida card is installed?  Then you need to plot out exactly which driver to install.  Several drivers are available for most cards, but not all of them provide the same functions.  Install drivers first from the Fedora "dnf" repository.  Second the noveau group. and lastly the nvidia site.

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

Options

9 Posts

04-02-2020

Netherlands

31 Signins

165 Page Views

• Views: 165
  • Message 3 of 5

2020-11-02, 12:34 PM
To be clear: I already have Fedora installed :) Will the BIOS instructions you gave be the same then?
Options

1363 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

580 Signins

7050 Page Views

• Views: 7050
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-11-02, 15:50 PM

Hello,

Yes, Lenovo has two official ways to obtain and install the BIOS update files.  The most common way as I mentioned above is from within Windows 10 operating system, with UEFI BIOS mode active, download the windows executable .exe file for your exact serial number from support.lenovo.com.  Then on Windows desktop first closing every other running program, using the "X", as administrator running the .exe file.

The other supported way is to use a Linux package tool named fwupd.  So from inside linux following the instructions for fwupd, and getting the BIOS file installed.  (I have never used this.)  For this process Lenovo publishes the BIOS image to a third party web page.  Then if and only if, the fwupd program finds a BIOS for your exact machine published on that web page, it will install.  Especially within the Lenovo peer to peer Ubuntu forum are a number of posts describing this process in more detail.  Including the  webpage URL.  At this time there might be an official posting on the Lenovo Knowledge Base.  This process under linux is relatively new for Lenovo, so a growing number of systems have BIOS files published.  Check to see if yours is there.

So if your machine is not on the fwupd list today, and you install to single boot into Fedora 33, if you want to install a newer release of BIOS than what is present today, you will need to get creative on how to activate a windows.exe program from within Linux.  If you do not use a procedure recommended by Lenovo, your results may not be perfect.  The consequences of improper installation of BIOS files are often dramatic, so be careful.

Sincerely,

Usedtoberich

Options

236 Posts

12-17-2018

United States of America

380 Signins

2486 Page Views

• Views: 2486
  • Message 5 of 5

2020-11-02, 17:08 PM

For your P1G2 LVFS via fwupdmgr is the proper way to get updates for all firmware.  This will update the BIOS, EC and fingerprint firmware as well as any Thunderbolt updates that may be needed. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms