Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsFedora
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

05-21-2021

Germany

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 11 of 42

Re:T14s (AMD) Trackpoint almost unusable

2021-05-21, 8:51 AM

Hi,

grundsätzlich kann ich mich den Beitragenden hier anschließen. Auch ich habe mich für den Kauf eines T14s (Modell: 20UJS00K00) entschieden, da ich die traditionell gute Linux-Unterstützung und den TrackPoint sehr schätze. Dies waren auch diesmal die Hauptargumente für meine Kaufentscheidung. Entsprechend enttäuscht/genervt, bin ich von dem TrackPoint.

Dem Bugtracker [0] ist zu entnehmen, dass offenbar ein Patch existiert, welcher das Problem behebt. Leider findet sich dort kein Hinweis darauf, ob es dieser Patch in absehbarer Zeit in die Paketquellen der Distributionen schafft, um das Problem auch für uns/mich abzustellen. Hat hier evtl. jemand weitere Informationen dazu?

Ich möchte gern probieren, ob der in [0] verlinkte Patch auch bei mir das Problem behebt. Jedoch bin ich nicht geübt im patchen eines Kernels bzw. eines Kernelmoduls. Kann mich jemand auf ein gutes Tutorial verweisen, welches erklärt, wie dabei vorzugehen ist?

[0] https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=209167#c1

Options

12 Posts

05-23-2016

Belgium

10 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 12 of 42

2021-05-21, 9:29 AM

@oglattermann du schreibst im englischsprachigen Forum...

@oglattermann found a kernel patch [1] the seems to fix the problem. He's looking for help how to compile a kernel.

Options

5 Posts

05-21-2021

Germany

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 13 of 42

2021-05-21, 9:45 AM

Oh my, I'm very sorry. Somehow I confused the language.

But yes, there seems to be a patch for the problem [1] and I'm looking for some advice how to apply it and rebuild the module. Please point me to a tutorial you know, so I could try.

[1] https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=295733&action=diff

Options

28 Posts

10-01-2012

Austria

45 Signins

302 Page Views

• Views: 302
  • Message 14 of 42

2021-05-21, 10:00 AM

This absolutely depends on the distribution you're using.

Some provide easy methods to build a kernel with custom patches, some require you to check out the kernel via git, etc. For some systems following a guide and breaking the kernel will break your systems, others allow you to build simple packages and have a backup.

Simple rule of thumb: If you have to ask here for help on how to compile a kernel instead of using a search engine to learn the basics you're bound to hit trouble on the road.

I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me you need to learn the basics first, because without providing even simple details about your environment here you're asking for trouble, which might cause an un-bootable system or even data loss.

My suggestions:

• Read, read and read again. About kernel building, patches, distribution packages, rescue kernels etc. Don't expect this forum here to be able to provide you with a step-by-step guide.
  • Install the distribution you're using in a VM.
  • Find sources specific to your distribution on how to compile a kernel.
  • Try to follow these steps exactly, without modifying anything.
  • Test the kernel in your VM.
  • Patch it if it still boots.
  • Build it.
  • Test it again.
  • Install the kernel on your laptop if it still boots in your VM: either via copy/paste, a package or other distribution specific methods.
  • Cross your fingers and hope.

Also be aware that your system might be secure booting, so a custom built kernel needs your custom keys or disabled secure boot (which then brings you one step closer to a more insecure system).

Sorry again, if this comes across as rude, that's not my intention. I've just built and broken and rebuilt and hardware-killed so many systems in the last 20 years, I'm simply aware of what could go wrong.

Options

5 Posts

05-21-2021

Germany

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 15 of 42

2021-05-21, 11:06 AM

Thanks for your reply and your honesty.

I'll do some research, read and try my first steps using a virtual machine. Since I'm intersted in learning something about kernel patching and builds it seems the right approach to take some time and do it right.

For my shiny new T14s I hope the patch make it into the Fedora-Kernel soon. The TrackPoint is useless otherwise.

Options

10 Posts

06-04-2021

Germany

18 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 16 of 42

2021-06-05, 23:07 PM

Hey there, is there an update on this? I raised a ticket with the Premier Support which just dismissed it and lectured me that only Ubuntu 20.04 LTS x64 is supported. I then checked and figured out that the issue persists even then. So this is an issue that slipped through certification and hopefully gets a higher priority... It indeed makes the TrackPoint barely usable.

Options

5 Posts

05-21-2021

Germany

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 17 of 42

2021-06-19, 19:57 PM

Hello Mark,

Is there any update you could possibly share with us here?

Were you able to make any progress with the vendor to fix this annoying behaviour? Do you have by any chance a time frame when a fix could be expected?

Excuse me for pushing this. Please understand that this issue is a real pain point in an otherwise nice piece of hardware.

Regards, 

Otto

Options

775 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

504 Signins

5996 Page Views

• Views: 5996
  • Message 18 of 42

2021-06-20, 2:13 AM

Hi @oglattermann 

There are a few threads to this issue

- Elantech were looking at this and I'm hoping we get a fix via FW update, that's the best solition. Still to be confirmed and I need to go and nag for an update.

- There is a workaround upstream to prevent the jumping to the corner thing that at least makes the lost sync event slightly less painful in the meantime.

- I'm working with the AMD folk to see if we can get SMBUS functionality enabled unstead of using PS2. That's a longer term thing to improve touchpad functionality - only just started.

Mark

Options

1 Posts

07-04-2021

Germany

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 19 of 42

2021-07-04, 10:20 AM

Thank for looking into this bug. I also experience this quite annoying problem on my T14s (AMD) using Ubuntu 21.04. The trackpoint cursor often suddenly jumps to an edge/corner.

Is there an interim solution (workaround) to this problem? Or do I just have to wait for a fix in FW/kernel? What is your suggestion?

Edit: Since I now completed two workdays on my new T14s, I would like to increase the severity of this bug: Given this bug, it currently is *impossible* to productively work with the T14s using the Trackpoint!

Options

6 Posts

06-25-2021

Germany

17 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 20 of 42

2021-07-07, 10:59 AM

Hi @MarkRHPearson ,

Is there any update on this issue, or maybe a timeline when this should be fixed?

Best

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)