Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsFedora
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

09-22-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 7

how to wipe and reinstall lenovo packages on carbon x1

2020-09-29, 2:42 AM

I bought the Carbon X1 that comes pre-installed with GNU/Linux, but there are a couple problems:

1. I want my hard drive encrypted. Lenovo does not ship the Carbon X1 encrypted.
  2. I ordered a 500 GB NVMe but as far as I can tell it was shipped with logical volumes that only use 250 GB of drive space.

The BIOS reports I have the correct size NVMe but parted shows it was not set to use the entire drive. I guess I can resize the partition and logical volume, but I would like to encrypt the drive. And usually I always want the ability to wipe out a system and start from scratch at any time.

My question is are there Lenovo specific drivers installed? dnf doesn't show anything that looks like Lenovo stuff or any COPR repository but I do notice there is a fedora-cisco-openh264 repo that I will need to include. I know there is a fingerprint reader and GNOME software updater shows weird updates.

For instance, right now GNOME software updater is telling me there are updates ready to install for Thinkpad embedded controller firmware, Lenovo system firmware, Synaptics Prometheus. dnf check-update doesn't show these though there are some firmware updates listed generically.

If were to reinstall fedora 32 from scratch what are the Lenovo specific items I would need to install to get the full system functionality?

Answer
Options

877 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

536 Signins

6551 Page Views

• Views: 6551

Re:how to wipe and reinstall lenovo packages on carbon x1

2020-09-30, 14:27 PM

Hi @LokiCat 

Apologies on the disk size issue - that's a known manufacturing issue which we're working on with some urgency as it is embarrassing that we didn't catch. Our preload image is based on the 256GB drive and the partition isn't expanded as part of the first boot on Fedora to fill the rest of the drive as happens with Ubuntu. You should be able to expand the partition to use the full size easily.

For shipping with encryption - afraid we're not supporting that yet. Interesting challenge to solve that one :)

For your original question - just grab the Fedora installer off the Fedora site, it's what our preload image is based on with no extra bells and whistles. The only thing you'll be missing is the user and legal documentation (grab it from /opt/lenovo on your current install and stash it somewhere, otherwise it should be showing up on our support site really soon).

I recommend doing the firmware updates (especially the fingerprint reader firmware) but those are all through LVFS and separate of Fedora. Doesn't matter what OS you install they will show up.

Let me know how it goes

Mark

Replies(6)
Options

51 Posts

08-19-2020

Germany

87 Signins

555 Page Views

• Views: 555
  • Message 2 of 7

2020-09-29, 7:23 AM

There should be no extra package included:

https://fedoramagazine.org/lenovo-fedora-now-available/

That’s part of why the only thing you’ll see on the laptop that doesn’t come from an official Fedora repository is a set of PDFs providing documentation and legal notices.

As for updates, these are firmware updates and not package updates. You can install them with 

sudo fwupdmgr update

So you can just reinstall Fedora as usual

Answer
Options

877 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

536 Signins

6551 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-09-30, 14:27 PM

Hi @LokiCat 

Apologies on the disk size issue - that's a known manufacturing issue which we're working on with some urgency as it is embarrassing that we didn't catch. Our preload image is based on the 256GB drive and the partition isn't expanded as part of the first boot on Fedora to fill the rest of the drive as happens with Ubuntu. You should be able to expand the partition to use the full size easily.

For shipping with encryption - afraid we're not supporting that yet. Interesting challenge to solve that one :)

For your original question - just grab the Fedora installer off the Fedora site, it's what our preload image is based on with no extra bells and whistles. The only thing you'll be missing is the user and legal documentation (grab it from /opt/lenovo on your current install and stash it somewhere, otherwise it should be showing up on our support site really soon).

I recommend doing the firmware updates (especially the fingerprint reader firmware) but those are all through LVFS and separate of Fedora. Doesn't matter what OS you install they will show up.

Let me know how it goes

Mark

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

09-22-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-10-01, 1:40 AM

Great! @ Iluha wrote:

There should be no extra package included:

https://fedoramagazine.org/lenovo-fedora-now-available/

That’s part of why the only thing you’ll see on the laptop that doesn’t come from an official Fedora repository is a set of PDFs providing documentation and legal notices.

Great! That's exactly what I had hoped, just wanted to ensure that is it correct.

As for updates, these are firmware updates and not package updates. You can install them with 

sudo fwupdmgr update

Thank you. I didn't know about the fwupdmgr command.

Options

4 Posts

09-22-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-10-01, 1:59 AM
Thanks for the info. This is all good news. I'll post an update after I encrypt and reinstall.
Options

4 Posts

09-22-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-10-04, 2:22 AM

Today I did a fresh install of Fedora 32 on my Carbon X1. The reasons for this as stated in original post are 1) I wanted my drive encrypted, 2) I order my X1 with a 512 GB drive, but it was partitioned to only use half of it. The unused drive space could be reclaimed using parted and lvm tools but since I wanted full disk encryption, I needed to do a fresh install. While it wasn't too painful there was one issue that slowed down the process. I'll post my experience here in case anyone else wants to try the same thing.

1. Installed Fedora 32 Live on a USB stick. I wanted Cinnamon Desktop so I grabbed the Cinnamon spin.
  2. Booted the Live Disto (hit enter at the BIOS screen to select USB boot device)
  3. Once in the Live session, I ran the installer on the desktop
  4. When I got the disk partitioning part I selected custom install so I could see what was going on.
  5. In the customized partitioning I selected automatically partition so I could see how the system would do it.
  6. It choose the same partitioning scheme that the machine was shipped with, but I noticed that it was still only using half of the drive space (/home was only ~256 GB)
  7. I noticed that the shipped partitions were still on the drive, see pic

8. When I tried to delete the existing partitions, the installer refused to remove /boot and /boot/uefi, giving me the error "cannot modify protected device". It acted like the partitions were mounted but I couldn't see that they were

9.I exited from the installer

10. opened a terminal, ran parted and deleted all of the existing partitions on the drive

11. Went back into the installer, saw the old partitions were gone, setup the drive the way I wanted with encryption (Under Volume Group Modify button, select encrypt there to encrypt the entire logical volume. Apparently it's possible to encrypt only parts of the volume like encrypt /home but not /boot)

12. When I tried to do the install though, installer crashed hard complaining about a protected device or partition

13. Went back to parted to check that all partitions were indeed gone (they were)

14. Rebooted into the Live USB again.

15. Ran parted again, all partitions are indeed wiped.

16. This time the disk partition step went smoothly. Again be aware of the dual encrypting scheme that gets choosen. If you want full encryption on the LV do that using the encrypt radio button in the Modify menu (under Volume Group)

17. No problems installing

18. Booted into the fresh install (encryption worked and was prompted for password)

19. dnf update

20. dnf install fwupd # to get the firmware manager

21. fwupdmgr get-updates

22 fwupdmgr update

23. step 22 will prompt for a reboot

24. BIOS screen shows firmware updates occur

25. I ended up in a working fresh install

Anyone that wants to replicate this to get full disk encryption will have to delete all disk partitions before trying to use the Live disk partitioner. I think it would be sufficient to  boot into Live (or any rescue/live distro), run parted and remove all partitions, reboot into Fedora Live again so the installer does not see any exisiting partitions on the drive. It should go easily if you do that beforehand.

Options

877 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

536 Signins

6551 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-10-05, 13:53 PM

Hi @LokiCat 

Thanks for your detailed notes and glad you got it setup correctly. I haven't seen that issue with the installer claiming the UEFI partitions are protected myself, but I haven't admittedly tried the custom installer myself. I'll have a look and see if I can reproduce (usually I do the install and click on the "I want to make more space available" option and then delete all partitions).

Hope you enjoy your new X1 Carbon :)

Mark 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms