Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

02-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 5

I want to be sure I understand Lenovo Support

2021-02-25, 19:20 PM

As noted in a couple recent threads, I happily purchased my Lenovo Legion Y740 laptop for business/development and home, and for the last 16 months the only dis-satisfaction I've had is with the very low battery life.
( Legion Y740-17IRHg Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 81UJ )

But now the battery no longer holds a charge. This just happened suddenly. It seems to have happened after a recent firmware update, which I got after my warranty expired. Given that many people here report similar issues I can't in good conscience accuse Lenovo of sabotaging of my device. Technically I know that's not probable. But the timing of this is really suspicious.

OK, I play the game like a good soldier : I had the warranty - for only 12 months - maybe I should have got it for 5 years. I checked the forum. I looked for Support. I am doing what's expected.

It seems to me that once Lenovo has the sale, they are very hands-off. There are links to service providers, no links to connect with Lenovo Support. I feel like they took my money, gave me some temporarily great hardware, and then dumped me in the cold. Is this the wrong impression?

I eager check the frequent Sales emails, knowing they're probably never going to go below a price point of 68% off retail. That's fine, it's a game, but I've been watching in the hope of buying a couple more laptops ... until this battery situation.

Lenovo : What would you do with this battery situation if I had the 5 year warranty? Could you, would you solve this problem? I'd glady buy a new battery from you every year, even to just keep the poor 2 hour charge. Sell me batteries and take my money there, I'm OK with that. But don't sell me an expensive laptop and then dump me, because that will be the last of my money that you will ever get. Please, sell me a battery now. I'll pay you to make this pain go away. But don't ignore me. Don't disrespect me. Don't turn something good into something really bad.

So do I understand this correctly? Before I indignantly take my business elsewhere and tell everyone I know that I would never buy Lenovo again, is my perception of any of this wrong? BTW, I work in international IT, I have a lot of contacts in large and small businesses - and Consumer Reports loves getting information about companies and the performance of their products.

What can we do to remedy this consumer dis-satisfaction issue? I've contacted a couple local service providers. I'll buy a battery from them - but I won't pay for "repair services" because that moves this from simply insulting me to insulting me AND taking more of my money. I have limits.

Thanks.

Options

2250 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

245 Signins

11491 Page Views

• Views: 11491
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:I want to be sure I understand Lenovo Support

2021-02-26, 11:30 AM

Hi CaptainStarbuck,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The Y740-17IRH is quite a power hungry beast, and looking over the specs, I wouldn't expect this to be a pc that is expected to run long on battery.

According to the psref documentation for the device, the estimated battery life for the Integrated Li-Polymer 76Wh battery is:

• MobileMark 2014: 6 hr

MobileMark 2014 is a highly unreliable battery life measuring program, and the new 2018 is only slightly better, unfortunately there's not many other programs out there, most brands use MobileMark from what I've seen, except for Apple I believe, they have their own. 

It's normally a good rule of thumb to expect half of the estimated battery life, as the testing has been done with the computer being idle and running bare minimum settings (power saving power plan, lowest brightness etc). In this case, up to aprox 3h +/- depending on usage.

Most consumer devices come with AC adapters that give 45 to 65W, while gaming devices and high power demanding devices come with up to 260W AC adapters.   And looking over the specs while also seeing that this device has 230W slim tip AC adapter, it's a good indication that it's not really meant to be long on battery power.

All battery devices I believe has a 1 year warranty, but I do believe the battery in question is still in good condition, and you check this by running a battery report:

Step 1. Generate a Battery Report:
- Follow the steps below in order to generate a Battery Report in Windows 10:
- Right-click the Windows Icon in the bottom left corner and select "Search"
- Type "cmd" into the search bar, right click the program showing up and select "Run as Administrator"
-----
- Copy and paste "powercfg /batteryreport /output "C:\battery_report.html" into the command prompt window. Without the quotations.
- Using Explorer navigate to C:\ aka the root directory. You should see a file labeled battery_report.html. 
Check here on how to read it.

In the event there is battery degradation (Wh comparison), then you can try to run a battery calibration to help improve it:

Battery Calibration Programs:
Download the One Key Optimizer from this link and install it: 

To calibrate battery in the One Key Optimizer.
1. Start the application - there should be a light blue icon on the desktop after you installed it.
2. Click on the tab named "Save energy".
3. Underneath "Save energy" there are 3 more tabs. Click on battery saving.
4. Click Calibrate
Now the calibration will start, note that this can take several hours

If you are certain it was a firmware update that caused this, and that the device was working better before this, then depending on the firmware update (some are one way streets), we can try to do a system restore or worst case, try to do a factory reset of the device. Please see the steps below:

Step 2. Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :

- Stay disconnected from the internet when performing the rollback until Step 3. is complete, so you don't have any instant updates that might re-cause the problem.
- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows + I” keys.
- Click “Update & security”
- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.
- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”
- After some elapsed time after last update(10+ days), this option is often not available. Please continue below.

Step 2.2. System Restore Point
- There should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"
- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  
- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.
**Note: System Restore Points will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Step 3. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.
- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.
- Click the "System Icon"    
- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"
- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

- Perform updates as necessary through Lenovo Vantage or from the Support Page.**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

I believe the battery life is what it is for this device and that it's normal, but again, depending on the firmware update that might have caused issues (it being reroll-able or not), a factory reset might do the job (if the firmware update is no reroll-able, then it is unlikely the OKR will help) 

Step 4. OKR - One Key Recovery
**This is a complete factory reset of the computer
**Loss of data can occur, so we advise you to backup your data if possible.

- Completely shut down the device.  
- Press the Novo Button :  It is the small reset hole on most devices that you need a unfolded paperclip to reach. 
- In case you do not own a device with a OKR button. You can also find out where it is or what reset function it is for your device at the support page under.

Knowledge Base & Guides -> User Guides -> And clicking the User guide(Not HTML one) in the list -> Ctrl+F to search the document for "Reset" and/or "Novo Button" / "Novo Hole"

- When the system boots up, a menu will appear, select System recovery and follow the recovery process.
- When entering the Windows environment again. Perform step 3 before allowing any Windows updates.

Hope this helps shine some light on the subject and possibly help.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

10 Posts

02-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-02-28, 22:47 PM

You moved my question about "Lenovo Support" to a forum about "gaming laptops" and then you provided a lot of great information about solving a battery problem.

But you did not respond to any of my questions about Lenovo Support.

I already have questions posted in this technical forum. I was not asking a technical question here. I was asking about how Lenovo does Support.

So - unless you can point to something that actually responds to my inquiry, please move this thread back to the forum where it was posted - and a solid answer to specific questions there is most welcome.

Thank you.

Options

2250 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

245 Signins

11491 Page Views

• Views: 11491
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-03-01, 8:49 AM

@ CaptainStarbuck wrote:

You moved my question about "Lenovo Support" to a forum about "gaming laptops" and then you provided a lot of great information about solving a battery problem.

But you did not respond to any of my questions about Lenovo Support.

I already have questions posted in this technical forum. I was not asking a technical question here. I was asking about how Lenovo does Support.

So - unless you can point to something that actually responds to my inquiry, please move this thread back to the forum where it was posted - and a solid answer to specific questions there is most welcome.

Thank you.

I do not have the power to move the post around on the forums, so this was not me. I'm just a guy trying to shine some light on the technical aspect of the post.

Best Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

10 Posts

02-24-2021

United States of America

8 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-03-04, 17:56 PM

I understand, Voithos. You have my thanks and apology.

Whomever moved this thread did so incorrectly. That action sort of answers my business question : Lenovo seems to think it's OK to avoid business issues, and they think we're OK with getting bounced around a technical forum. Other companies do this. I've stopped doing business with them. I guess we won't be buying any more Lenovo laptops either. That's really unfortunate. I like the product, except for the battery and related policy. It's a shame when a company creates a great product and then ruins the customer experience with policy. Oh well.

Another view on this : Perhaps Lenovo management does not know what happens in this forum, or that customers who want to spend more money have no way to do so. Maybe the people who want to earn more money for Lenovo are oblivious to the actions of those who have so effectively cut off paying customers from further purchases (battery / parts/ services). That's still a management issue, and if they let that happen without fixing it, my end perspective is the same - I can't continue to do business with the company, as much as I want to. Wow, so bad.

ευχαριστώ
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms