cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hippi-viking
Serial Port
Views: 597
Message 1 of 6

ThinkCentre M73: newer BIOS updates disappeared?

Hello,

A few days ago, I noticed that the M73 BIOS has been strangely rolled back on the support website without any notice.  Currently FCKT91A is offered for download for the non-tiny versions, whereas I downloaded and installed FCKT93A last month.

Does anybody know what might be behind this "secretive rollback"?

Cheers.

Mod:  edit the Subject line to add ThinkCentre

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 579
Message 2 of 6

Re: ThinkCentre M73: newer BIOS updates disappeared?

I too, noticed the same thing yesterday.  What gravely concerns me is that these two missing updates had mostly Intel processor security related fixes and microcode.  I've seen a BIOS update removed soon after publication, when issues were found, but not two, and not months after the fact.  I use my M73 desktop (direct Ethernet cabled to my router) for all banking and financial work, if there's an issue with these updates, I'm thinking I should stop using it, and direct cable a laptop. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
hippi-viking
Serial Port
Views: 486
Message 3 of 6

Indeed it is quite concerning. So as Lenovo's sloppy, opaque attitude towards BIOS changelog documentation (only "security update"/"maintenance update", at best a LEN-number which cannot be found in their advisory listing, no CVE numbers). It is still better than 3rd party manufacturers - they don't even provide BIOS updates -, but still there is quite some room for improvement.
Do you know how should Lenovo be contacted for an explanation on this matter? I looked all over the support page, but it only leads to this forum.

As for your use case, mine is pretty similar... Sadly no current hardware (like since the 486s or better yet the Amigas) Smiley Happy can be trusted. I don't think the laptop would be any better either... Try putting in a firewall between the router and the cable, that might give you more insight what's going on behind the scenes. (Though I don't think we are really in a bigger trouble than we were in the past years, we can just see more about it.)

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 472
Message 4 of 6

The BIOSes were removed because they were discovered to have an error with writing some SMBIOS information using some specific tools; the error is being corrected and a new BIOS will be released as soon as possible.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

hippi-viking
Serial Port
Views: 455
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the insight Andy!

Sorry for overthinking this, but in these paranoid "post-Snowden" times more information and transparency is the way to go.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 163
Message 6 of 6

BIOS version 94, with the SMBIOS fix, was released yesterday:   M73 Desktop - BIOS/UEFI page

On a somewhat related note, when will the M73 be tested and supported for Windows 10 1903?

f-m73 bios 94 readme snip.PNG

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals