Indonesia

65 Signins

3446 Page Views

• Views: 3446
  • Message 1 of 2

A suggestion

2008-11-04, 0:02 AM

Hi All,

Most of people coming to these forums do not know what system they have.

I have one suggestion that I think can be very useful for Mods as well as other users, and most importantly noobs.(forgive me if it was considered already)..

During registration, user profile should ask information - the type of Lenovo system (type/model/operating system or systems).This information can be viewed on member's profile page.

This will help specially noobs to understand their system details before entering into forum. It can be kept optional(by uncheck option), but at least it will make users aware of it before asking for help.

Signature is a way, but it is optional by default and unknown to all noobs.

Sticky thread might be another solution, but stillit doesn't make sure every noob reads it.

Dh.

3000 N100-0768DKU
XP Home 5.01.2600 SP2
Ubuntu 8.04(hardy)
Options

7634 Posts

11-19-2007

US

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: A suggestion

2008-11-04, 3:31 AM

DH,

Thanks for the suggestion! 

I originally planned to make model and serial perhaps mandatory fields during the registration process, so that we could look up information like warranty status, country of origin, and parts lists without having ask for that information from members.  I also thought that when we had a tip, we might be able to send out as a private message to all members who had a model it would apply to.

After a lot of discussion, it was decided not to do this, as some members might join before having any Lenovo system just to talk to others about it.  Other concerns were that we might be asking too much.

Obviously, we could make these optional fields...

There were a few other technical reasons why we didn't add other items to the registration process...

However, you really do make a good point and offer some other alternatives including changing default on the profile, or maybe even including a sample profile for new members...

Certainly more food for thought...  

Thanks!

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete