Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

IntroductionForum Housekeeping
All Forum Topics
Options

227 Posts

09-12-2008

Atlanta, GA USA

504 Signins

4269 Page Views

• Views: 4269
  • Message 1 of 29

Moving Model-Specific Linux info into the linux folder is a bad idea

2009-04-07, 8:43 AM

Why are all model-specific guides being moved out of their respective forums and into a 'special interest'?  Is the rationale for this fear that linux talk scares normal windows-loving folks?  I think the posters that posted in the respective forums put the posts in the right place. 

Model-specific info should go into a model-specific area.

Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22142 Signins

317265 Page Views

• Views: 317265
  • Message 2 of 29

Re: Moving Model-Specific Linux info into the linux folder is a bad idea

2009-04-07, 8:50 AM

Hello garytr23,

since Linux is not an official Lenovo OS, it´s same as WIN7, we´ll try to keep Linux issues together at one place, also their are not model, but hardware specific.

I hope that´ll answer your question. :smileyhappy:

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

227 Posts

09-12-2008

Atlanta, GA USA

504 Signins

4269 Page Views

• Message 3 of 29

2009-04-07, 9:22 AM

Not quite the same, Linux is actually a mature platform that lots of folks use for work and school.  If not in the regular model forums, maybe there's a way to organize the useful model-specific guides within the Linux Section?  There's been quite a few threads like this that contain important information about how to get it running on a specific model and dumping them here makes them harder to find.  Without better organization, more will keep popping up in the Model-specific forums because that's the most natural place for people to ask questions about this right now.  Generic linux knowledge from others doesn't help them get their laptop running, but rather it's contributions from people that own similar models, who congregate in the model-specific sections.

How about we make subfolders within the linux section for specific series of lenovos so you moderators will move fewer threads around and can put them in a more sensible place?

Message Edited by garytr23 on 04-07-2009 02:24 AM
Lenovo SL300 Owner
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22142 Signins

317265 Page Views

• Views: 317265
  • Message 4 of 29

2009-04-07, 9:38 AM

Hello garytr23,

feel free to contribute your ideas at Marks thread, members ideas are highly appreciated there. :smileyhappy:

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

2827 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

10663 Signins

147393 Page Views

• Views: 147393
  • Message 5 of 29

2009-04-07, 12:00 PM

garytr23, good thought!

lets think in this way as well...i am sure you must have seen most of the persons asking for compatability issues regarding various distros,most of them are first time users as well,if linux threads are posted in model specific boards as you mentioned they may no longer get highlighted due to the fact that other kind of issues crop up for users and linux threads may be sidelined

Your idea seems good!  but to have a better exposure it would be good if we do have a seperate linux section.what do u say of having model specific issues on linux within the linux section?what are your thoughts regarding this idea? 

Options

227 Posts

09-12-2008

Atlanta, GA USA

504 Signins

4269 Page Views

• Message 6 of 29

2009-04-07, 16:25 PM
well, that's what I'm suggesting.  Create line-specific sections within the linux section, because only owners of sl-series (for instance) will have experience with sl-series linux issues.  And they tend to hang out in the sl-series threads.  
Lenovo SL300 Owner
Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Views: 3923
  • Message 7 of 29

2009-04-08, 21:24 PM

I'm not sure why "unsupported" OSes deserve to be in a ghetto.

Sure, it's a nice ghetto, but it's still a ghetto.

I posted my thread on Ubuntu on the SL-400 in the SL thinkpad forum because as a thinkpad SL owner, that's the forum I go to most often, and thought many users, whether they run linux or windows, would find it interesting to talk about running ubuntu on their SL-400 laptop.

I don't like being in a ghetto.

Options

227 Posts

09-12-2008

Atlanta, GA USA

504 Signins

4269 Page Views

• Message 8 of 29

2009-04-09, 22:54 PM

wrote:

I'm not sure why "unsupported" OSes deserve to be in a ghetto.

It's probably not as evil of Lenovo as I'm tempted to think, but still, my assumption is this is supposed to be more of a community support site, and not an official Lenovo support medium, so I wonder how much Lenovo's OS preferences should matter.  
I, as a member of the community, enjoy helping other folks, and it seems like the moving of the threads would inconvenience them more than whatever is gained otherwise.  
Going to suggest it in Mark's thread at some point. 

Anyone agree/disagree with my proposed solution of model-specific sections under the Linux sections or have a better idea?

Lenovo SL300 Owner
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23523 Signins

803305 Page Views

• Views: 803305
  • Message 9 of 29

2009-04-10, 0:32 AM

garytr23 wrote:

It's probably not as evil of Lenovo as I'm tempted to think, but still, my assumption is this is supposed to be more of a community support site, and not an official Lenovo support medium, so I wonder how much Lenovo's OS preferences should matter.

You are correct - this is designed to be a user-to-user site and while Lenovo pays the bills, it's definitely not an official support channel.  Says so right in the first paragraph of the forum rules.  There are a few Lenovo employees roaming around in here helping out, but there's no guarantee of any official response from any of them.

The reason we created a Linux board and move threads here is because there are so few Linux users compared to the rest of the forum members.  If we left those threads in the model-specific boards, they would likely languish with few responses.  Our intention was to bring you together regardless of model since your common interest in Linux would allow you to help one another.  It was not intended to isolate you in a "ghetto".

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Views: 3923
  • Message 10 of 29

2009-04-10, 0:38 AM

wrote:

wrote:

The reason we created a Linux board and move threads here is because there are so few Linux users compared to the rest of the forum members.  If we left those threads in the model-specific boards, they would likely languish with few responses.  Our intention was to bring you together regardless of model since your common interest in Linux would allow you to help one another.  It was not intended to isolate you in a "ghetto".

This is demonstrably untrue. 1: There are plenty of linux / windows dual booters out in the world. 2:Look at how many responses the Ubuntu on SL400 thread got, and it got almost all of them while in the SL thinkpad forum.  That post was specifically about running Ubuntu on an SL400, and it was posted in that forum with full knowledge of there being a linux board.  It was not languishing.  It was however, exposing many windows users to the fact that they had another choice of OS to use on their laptop, and a source of information on how to do so (the thread) and they did NOT have to wander through the linux subboard looking for info on their specific model.

Just because you didn't intend to put my thread in a ghetto doesn't mean you didn't.  And by ghetto, I'm using the meaning of the word of a forced segregation, not the poor part of town.  The ubuntu on SL400 thread was posted where it was on purpose.  It was moved against my will.  I would appreciate it being put back where I posted it unless I broke some specific rule posting it there.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms