Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

IntroductionForum Housekeeping
All Forum Topics
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23523 Signins

803305 Page Views

• Views: 803305
  • Message 11 of 29

Re: Moving Model-Specific Linux info into the linux folder is a bad idea

2009-04-10, 1:10 AM

Sxooter wrote:

It was however, exposing many windows users to the fact that they had another choice of OS to use on their laptop, and a source of information on how to do so (the thread) and they did NOT have to wander through the linux subboard looking for info on their specific model.

OK, we are not going to have an OS war here, so you can stop right now.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Views: 3923
  • Message 12 of 29

2009-04-10, 1:18 AM

What's with the hostility?  I was making a point about the fact that I prefer to discuss things about the SL series in the SL series boards?  If your only argument is that I'm somehow starting an OS war, then it's pretty weak.

At no time did I say "down with windows!" or anything like that.  I did make the points that 1: the post was doing quite well in the SL board, and 2: Many people who might not otherwise have thought of using Ubuntu on their SL series laptop might see that they can.

I can see no OS holy war in my posts.

I can see serious defensiveness in yours.  

If you have a point to make in response to mine, please do.  I find your response argumentative and counter-productive.

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23523 Signins

803305 Page Views

• Views: 803305
  • Message 13 of 29

2009-04-10, 1:39 AM

Sxooter wrote:

I can see serious defensiveness in yours.  

No, what you see is a veteran of the Windows / OS/2 conflict.  It bred an instinctive distaste for the smallest hint of an OS war brewing, so knock off the advocacy chatter.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Message 14 of 29

2009-04-10, 1:45 AM

Sigh, it's not about advocacy.  It's about the SL SERIES laptop.  If you're running an SL series laptop, which board are you going to go to most often?  The SL thinkpad board.  If you're a dual booter running linux, you'll go there.  If you've only ever used windows, and didn't even know you could run linux on one, you might see that post and think about trying it.

The post that was moved had NO ADVOCACY IN IT!  You are seeing what you expect to see.  If I had phrased my previous post as "So that SL series owners would know they had another choice" instead of "windows users would know they had another choice" would you have seen it any differently?

My point is that I have an SL400.  I post about using my SL400, both as a windows machine and a linux machine.  I run two OSes, to do two different jobs.  I post in the SL thinkpad forum because that's the laptop I have.  

You are the one seeing advocacy.  I just have things to get done, and my laptop with two OSes is the tool to do that.  I prefer linux for work, since it's more stable and integrates better with my job, which involves making linux servers happy all day.  I use windows for windows specific things, like games (games on linux suck hard) and a few windows specific apps I can't run under wine every now and then.

Now, do you have anything to say about any of the rest of my post?  Or is the supposed advocacy all you can see?

Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Message 15 of 29

2009-04-10, 2:15 AM
I'm watching south park, and this whole thread has me feeling like I'm trying to explain the fish sticks joke to Kanye West.  :smileyvery-happy:
Options

227 Posts

09-12-2008

Atlanta, GA USA

504 Signins

4269 Page Views

• Views: 4269
  • Message 16 of 29

2009-04-10, 3:10 AM

--> sxooter 

hehe, c'mon man, i'm deliberately trying pretty hard to make a point while avoiding starting a flame war, let's not make the mods angry like the rules say we shouldn't.   The nice thing about this particular forum is we possibly can get attention from Lenovo employees to help us out.

Message Edited by garytr23 on 04-09-2009 08:16 PM
Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Message 17 of 29

2009-04-10, 3:11 AM
Seriously, I'm not trying to start a flame war.  I've asked in both of my replies for Jane_L to look at the rest of my post, and she just keeps coming back to advocacy, which was never the point of my post to start with.  My last comment expresses my frustration at a moderator being unable to discuss the topic at hand and continually coming back to being anti-advocacy instead of discussing the points we're both trying to make.
Message Edited by Sxooter on 04-09-2009 08:12 PM
Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Message 18 of 29

2009-04-10, 3:27 AM

wrote:

Hello garytr23,

since Linux is not an official Lenovo OS, it´s same as WIN7, we´ll try to keep Linux issues together at one place, also their are not model, but hardware specific.

I hope that´ll answer your question. :smileyhappy:

About the hardware versus model thing.  I think that the average user who buys a specific model, like SL or T series thinkpad, doesn't wanna think about what video card, network card, acpi interface (i.e. thinkvantage / volume buttons, screen brightness controls) touchpad, hdmi, usb, memory card reader, firewire, sata, dvdwriter etc models / hardware they have.  If they want to set up dual boot on a specific model, they can either trawl the linux board and try to figure out what hardware they have from various posts and how to make it work and what problems that hardware has, or they can look for a post on their model, which, if it's got plenty of action going on, is likely to cover the hardware variations within that model well enough they don't have to read a bunch of different posts.

So, I disagree that it's about hardware specifics.  For me, it's certainly about the model, and knowing who else with my model has made it work, and how variations in the hardware of that model have affected getting it to work.  

I think that for Joe User, it's more likely they'll start looking for help on running any other OS under their own model's board than in a generic win7 / xp / linux board which may or may not have posts about their model.

Many users of other OSes, be they linux, XP, win7 or whatever, dual / triple boot, so for them, the natural board to go to is the one for their model.

With all the various models of thinkpad / ideapad out there, what's the chance of seeing a thread on my model on the first page or two of the linux or winxp forum compared to seeing an active thread on XP or linux or whatever on the first page or two of the forum for my model?

The ubuntu on SL400 post I started in SL thinkpads forum was quite active, and had stayed on the first page or two since it was started, which made it more accessible to the average SL user who was looking to setup dual boot like I had.

I think this thread has a point, that's been derailed by a side argument between myself and JaneL.  I'd like to see it get back on track, and discuss the merits of leaving model specific posts in model specific boards.

Options

227 Posts

09-12-2008

Atlanta, GA USA

504 Signins

4269 Page Views

• Views: 4269
  • Message 19 of 29

2009-04-10, 3:35 AM
ya, I totally agree with you.  I was checking that thread a lot.  There were actually 4 or 5 threads in the SL series forum started by different individuals.  I think a "SL Series and Linux" section underneath the SL Series forum would be the most sensible solution.
Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
Options

281 Posts

10-01-2008

Denver, CO

461 Signins

3923 Page Views

• Message 20 of 29

2009-04-10, 3:40 AM

That would rock.  What would be even better would be if you could have a preference setting that merged sub boards into the main board for you.  So, Joe user who's happily using Vista and not at all interested in linux wouldn't see the linux threads, but Sue Linux could click a box to have one or more subboards just show up as though they were a part of the main SL thinkpad board.

Then everyone could get what they want.

Also, if you were viewing the SL board and went to search it, and you had a keyword like linux, debian, ubuntu, redhat, etc in it, it would automagically pull in the appropriate sub board.

This thing with dumping all linux users into one big sub board seems highly non-optimal for linux users, and possible counter-productive to folks who are just curious but not likely to go wandering off too far looking for linux help.  This is especially true if they look in the linux board and the only posts for their models are very specific, or several pages down the list.

Oh well, we'll see what the mods have to say about it, they run the place.  :smileyindifferent:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms