Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkdnnlr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 320
Message 1 of 5

Re: Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

Andy, this is a general problem. Neither for Windows nor Linux there is a BIOS option that let's you choose S3 sleep. What is the reason that there is S3 support for the almost equivalent X1C6 but not for the X1Y3? Can we expect a BIOS update supporting S3 sleep in the future?

In general I fancy your suggestion of having a specific Linux thread for the issue. But actually there is one, which has been consistently ignored by Lenovo (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen-S3-Sleep-BIOS-Update/td-p/42274...). So unless there are at least some answers there I think that it is quite bad style of trying to divide the community over this issue.

I would assume that this should be more pressing, especially regarding the upcoming X1Y4 and possible bad publicity about a battery that doesn't even last one night in standby. 

Lenovo X1Y3
Ubuntu 16.04
Administrator
Administrator
Views: 314
Message 2 of 5

Hello,

There are at least two threads in the Linux boards. If you have Linux installed please post in the relevant discussions. I also advise placing in your signature or posting which Linux version you have installed; a piece of information which is more than frequently omitted by most userers.

This topic is for those who have Windows installed. Sorry to be hard, but end of discussion on this theme.

edit: typo

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 281
Message 3 of 5

That's unfortunate. 

On Windows, the computer drains a ton of power when sleeping. Having all the updates and latest BIOS, and using the powercfg patch files Andy linked here just made wifi connection patchy, without fixing the power drain issue. I have not used a single laptop where I can close the lid the night before with 60% battery, and open it the next day to 0%, until I met the X1Y3. But who cares right? We have already paid the $$$ anyway, it is not like we can still ask for a refund... 

On Linux, there are ACPI fixes that other people have mentioned that worked, but it is not a native solution provided by Lenovo, and definitely not an easy fix for the faint of heart.

To make a unilateral decision and call the case closed is both premature and unresponsible. But then again, to some people, we as consumers 'don't have to right' to get a fully working product after paying $$$ for a supposedly premium business laptop, so who are we to complain. 

Given how strong the other specs on the X1Y3 are, this is truly a missed opportunity. Looks like we got our nail in the coffin guys!

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 249
Message 4 of 5

@shockingpants wrote:

That's unfortunate.

To make a unilateral decision and call the case closed is both premature and unresponsible. But then again, to some people, we as consumers 'don't have to right' to get a fully working product after paying $$$ for a supposedly premium business laptop, so who are we to complain. 

Could you clarify please because there is obviously something I'm not getting here, who is calling the case closed? Separating the Windows and Linux discussions will most likely help work toward solutions for both instances because the discussions remain focused on the specific OS.

If you would like to have the discussion closed I can assure you that that is very unlikely to happen; we very rarely lock discussions down. If you don't wish to participate in a constructive discussion you have the ability, if you wish to, to unsubscribe if subscribed and not re-visit it.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Highlighted
shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 229
Message 5 of 5

"Sorry to be hard, but end of discussion on this theme."

Reading back, I over reacted for sure. But it sounded like the end of discussion to the whole theme i.e. sleep issue on the X1Y3. I apologize.

"If you would like to have the discussion closed..."

Really? After a paragraph of calling me out for misconstruing what you said, you decided to do the same with my intentions? Wow... good job.

It is frustrating for the consumer to live with these issues with no possible solution on the horizon. I can see how it is equally frustrating for the forum admin to get all the flak. 

I guess the silver lining is that 10 pages and several other threads in, we are finally getting a response from an admin. Hopefully, we get a solution before X1Y4 comes out.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals