09-16-2020

US

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 6

Updated bios on my lenovo 315x and ni signal to screen

2020-09-16, 7:43 AM

I just replaced my old motherboard and processor and didn't work so bought a 2nd hand 315x and there was a update for the bios and I did it . Then when rebooted nothing happened no signal to the screen nothing.  I downloaded the drive to flash drive and won't read them and can't get into the bios scree. Wity no signal any help please 

Solved! See the solution
Options

865 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

106 Signins

4991 Page Views

• Views: 4991
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Updated bios on my lenovo 315x and ni signal to screen

2020-09-16, 10:08 AM

@ Kennedk4 wrote:

I just replaced my old motherboard and processor and didn't work so bought a 2nd hand 315x and there was a update for the bios and I did it . Then when rebooted nothing happened no signal to the screen nothing.  I downloaded the drive to flash drive and won't read them and can't get into the bios scree. Wity no signal any help please 

Hi Kennedk4,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

BIOS updates are crucial updates, but they are also the most volatile ones if they go wrong. Normally a BIOS update will take around an hour to complete. 

If at any point during the update it gets interrupted. F.ex : There's a power shortage in the house, This is what's called a bricked computer/motherboard that will most likely be needing a repair.

In the event the BIOS update finishes the update, and something has gone wrong, or the BIOS update failed during the update so that it black screens, it can most often then not be fixed by doing a hard reboot/cold boot.

Step 1. Hard Reboot + Static Discharge

• Press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds, until the device turns itself off.
  • Remove all cables attached to the device (power, hdmi, external mouse/keyboard, etc)
  • Ensure device is switched OFF
  • Wait aprox. 20 sec
  • Re-attach all necessary peripherals, then startup again.

Step 2. Try to boot it through Recovery.

• - Perform a restart while the computer is booting 3 times in a row.
  • - On the 4th boot, see if it will enter Advanced Startup Options.
  • - Now enter the BIOS. Navigate to the EXIT tab and select "Load Optimal Defaults"
  • - Click "Exit Saving Changes" or F10.

Step 3. Open the device and physically flash the BIOS by removing the Lithium Battery (CMOS battery)

You'll have to check the Hardware manual for your device to see how to navigate to this.

The HW manual is under "Knowledge Base & Guides" on the Support Page, then the "User Guides" section.

Best way to see what a CMOS battery looks like is to google it, as it differs a bit.

Looks like a small silvery coin on the motherboard.

**NOTE: Only perform this step if the device is outside warranty.  

If the device is still within warranty and the device is bricked, I'd suggest contacting Lenovo support for your country directly (mail, e-ticket, phone) and see what can be done. Most likely it will have to be sent in to be assessed by an authorized technician.

Good luck

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

09-16-2020

US

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2020-09-17, 5:42 AM

This is the correct way for a desktop more a laptop.  I need to do it on my desktop 

Options

865 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

106 Signins

4991 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-09-17, 7:53 AM

@ Kennedk4 wrote:

This is the correct way for a desktop more a laptop.  I need to do it on my desktop 

Hi Kennedk4,

You are correct.  I have now made corrections to my original post to reflect the procedure better for a desktop device.

Hope it clears some things up.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

5 Posts

09-16-2020

US

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-09-17, 14:41 PM

So none of those worked when I did the reboot 3 time and on the 4th the fan all went on and pressing the f1 key but no signal.  And I have the bios file on a flash drive is there something I'm missing 

Options

865 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

106 Signins

4991 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-09-18, 7:59 AM

@ Kennedk4 wrote:

So none of those worked when I did the reboot 3 time and on the 4th the fan all went on and pressing the f1 key but no signal.  And I have the bios file on a flash drive is there something I'm missing 

Hi Kennedk4,

Have you tried disconnecting the HDMI/Display and leaving the device for awhile ? Are you able to connect via VGA ? If possible, try this.

Were you able to try step 3 or is the unit still within warranty ? Removing the CMOS battery, then reattaching it again.

In the event this does not work, then it's hard to discern what has happened. Usually when the BIOS update finishes successfully (reaches 100%) without any external interruption, but devices black screens, then this has a high success rate, and when it doesn't then the update got so botched it bricked the motherboard.

Regards

Voithos

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete