Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legacy
Punch Card
Views: 659
Message 31 of 37

Re: What's DOS

I wonder what comes after Fanfold Paper. I hope it's not that icky paper on rolls that early fax machines used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lenovo Essentials B590 (20208), Windows 7 Professional SP1
I blog, therefore I am
Legacy
Punch Card
Views: 657
Message 32 of 37

Whatever it is, 10 posts is not the threshold to achieve it. Sigh...

Edit: 11 posts doesn't do it either. Double sigh...

I blog, therefore I am
Highlighted
k9gardner
Paper Tape
Views: 512
Message 33 of 37

As a new Lenovo owner, but a veteran in the IT industry, I don't find it at all humorous to be labeled in this way.
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 506
Message 34 of 37

Since I started my IT career in the days of punch cards and paper tapes, it's entertaining when we get flack over the ranking system..

What's DOS? was placed first because Mark wouldn't let me put Moth there and I wanted something eye-catching. Nailed that!

The rank names don't mean anything at all other than an entertaining, random walk through tech history. I could have just as easily called them 1, 2, 3 etc. It's the formulas behind the names that matter.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Summer-Sailor
Paper Tape
Views: 426
Message 35 of 37

I started out in PC's over 40 years ago loading drivers into memory above 640K on DOS 2.x.  My first chipset was a 8086.  I consider myself an expert on MS-DOS version 3.x though the shell introduced in the 80's on 5.x  and 6.x (not 4.x, that was primarily IBM).  I was a beta user as MS Windows 2.x was first rolled out.  I provided Windows 2.x, 3.x, 95, 98, ME, NT, XP, 2000, Win 7, etc support for clients throughout my career and obtained Microsoft Certified education along the way.

My first question to the Lenovo forum was a simple one that the phone tech support person could not readily answer.  It should have been obvious.  It was a legit question.  It was not from a novice.  I found the "What's DOS" moniker attached to my community user name to be highly insulting and childish.  Who thought of this and why?  I do have a sense of humor ... however, it's not a joke to insult your customers.  I hope it's not typical of Lenovo support that I hope to receive in the future.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 422
Message 36 of 37

Since I started my IT career in the days of punch cards and paper tapes, it's entertaining when we get flack over the ranking system..

What's DOS? was placed first because Mark wouldn't let me put Moth there and I wanted something eye-catching. Nailed that!

The rank names don't mean anything at all other than an entertaining, random walk through tech history. I could have just as easily called them 1, 2, 3 etc. It's the formulas behind the names that matter.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Legacy
Punch Card
Views: 376
Message 37 of 37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syV2LkGpQB0

I blog, therefore I am

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals