Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MsT10a
Paper Tape
Views: 214
Message 1 of 4

All-In-One Y910 27ish: Overclocking on CPU (k-processor) isn't working

Dear forum,

I have a Y910 27ish AIO (ideacentre) with i5 6600k and GTX 1070. I like the unit as good all around performer.

I runned into the issue, that overclocking (i.e. getting higher turbo multiplier to work) is not allowed at the Y910. Despite the CPU sitting extremely well below the temperature range and also the watt consumption beeing very far off the limit, I cannot overclock the CPU. The CPU is a pre binned 6600k which is delid and custom liquid metal prepared, so temperatures are extremely low^^ (I had that CPU from my old PC). Upgrading the i5 6400 to the 6600k yielded a high performance gain (at least +20-35%), but not beeing able to overclock the CPU despite temparature, voltage and watt requirements are well below any maximum (the machine comes with a 6700k also, which uses more power), is a bit sad Smiley Sad

On the Z170 mainboard from the old PC the i5 got to about 4,7ghz (all-core), which is really a performance boost compared to the 3,6ghz locked (all core) turbo the i5 6600k offers as standard. Of course I don't think the Y910 could handle that, but 4,4ghz would be reasonable while not beeing much over the i7 6700k's power consumption and voltage spikes.

I contactedthe Lenovo support about it, bout I just got the answer to wait for a bios. Buying a 27 AIO with "upgradability" in mind which was one of the main points of this specific AIO and later on not beeing able to upgrade even to the 7000-series from intel is bad enough. But then no overclocking on k-processors, makes it even worse Smiley Sad 

Is there anything I could do with the Y910 AIO in order to upgrade CPU performance? (it ist just too slow to keep up today, the GTX 1070 helps, but the CPU cannot handle the loads). An upgrade to the i7 6700k doesn't seem to make sense.

As I read I could also not use any modded bios, because the bios is protected unfortunately.

DmdlC
Serial Port
Views: 190
Message 2 of 4

Re: All-In-One Y910 27ish: Overclocking on CPU (k-processor) isn't working

Hi MsT10a!

The poor bios from this Y910-27ISH can not handle the overclocking possibilities for the "K" versions of the cpu. Unfortunately Lenovo decided to make this machine "end of life", so no security updates for the bios and of course no feature updates for newer cpus like Kaby lake or "K" versions...

I have the version with i7-6700, 32 GB ram and GTX 1080 which optimal performance in most actual games. I use the undervolting trick for keeping the temps below the critical value 85 °C...

Best regards

DmdlC

MsT10a
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 3 of 4

It is a bit confusing to hear that the support for Bios Updates is that poor currently. The maschine was released in october 2016, that means the whole thing is not even 3 years away from its release, my unit is about 1,5 years old. Really strange, that a AIO that is capable of upgrading lacks features that even laptops have. I can understand them not supporthing the i7 8000-series, but i7 7700k is also not supported I read (of course, not really that much improvement). Only changing graphics card is not really futureproof. I use the AIO for work, as it is really neat to have it at exhibitions or for a solution that requires no hassle. But its really sad that a product like this suffers from this kind of service : (

DmdlC
Serial Port
Views: 162
Message 4 of 4

Unfortunately, Lenovo built this beast of a machine: Best AIO ever. Unfortunately, Lenovo is not at all the company that can handle gamers or hardware enthusiasts.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors