Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Glendor
Paper Tape
Views: 186
Message 1 of 5

Cube won't wake with keyboard or mouse

My Y720 Cube goes to sleep on command or timer; monitor, mouse, keyboard, and cube lights go 'dark' except the illuminated power button which blinks to indicate sleep.  The USB ports stay powered so my phone or tablet will still charge.  All is normal as best I can tell.

The proble is when I try to wake it.  I used to wake it with the mouse or keyboard, but now that doesn't work.  When I click the mouse or keyboard, the lights inside the case, and the "Y" on the front flash, then the computer goes completely dark - even the power button goes dark - no longer flashing.  The USB ports go unpowered and the phone or tablet say no longer charging.  The only way to wake it from sleep is to push the power button for 1-2 seconds. 

This problem only started after I changed the power supply.  The original 450w PSU that came with it crashed when playing games at 1440p.  The problem was definately a PSU problem, I tried two identical GPUs (RX 480s) and I could trigger the crash at will by running a benchmark that used 1440p resolution.  I purchased an EVGA 450w PSU and installed it.  BTW: I've been building custom gaming rigs for years, so I have some experience in swapping PSUs.  The crashing problem was resolved completely, but this wake w/ keyboard problem started around the same time.  I thought it might be the PSU, so I swapped it for a 650w Corsaire PSU but the problem continues.  I can't find any setting in the bios or Win10 settings that can resolve it.  Any thoughts?

BTW, maybe it's related, maybe not, but this motherboard will not update the bios.  I even spent two hours on the phone with Lenovo, and even bought an extended warrenty trying to get the bios updated, and nada, nope, won't update.  

Claude

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 182
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cube won't wake with keyboard or mouse

Is it actually resuming from sleep when you press and hold the power button, or is it cold booting.    I as because it could be that the system is throwing a BSOD when trying to sleep, and if so would not be able to resume.    

You might try running a sleepstudy from a Command Prompt (Admin)   powercfg /sleepstudy   to see if there is a component or driver that is refusing to go into a low power state.   

Also check for the presence of a C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP or C:\Windows\Minidump\*.dmp files that coincide with the sleep cycle. 

Cheers,

Glendor
Paper Tape
Views: 167
Message 3 of 5

Re: Cube won't wake with keyboard or mouse

Definately waking and resuming, not rebooting.  All the tasks I had open, are still open.   There is no memory dump and the minidump folder is empty.  

My gut is telling me this is a setting somewhere that I just can't put my finger on.  I could be wrong, and it could have something to do with the motherboar that will not install the latest bios.  The bios problem started before the PSU upgrade.  

Lenovo offered to have a tech come out and install a new mobo, but I hated to go through that trouble...

Claude

Glendor
Paper Tape
Views: 130
Message 4 of 5

Re: Cube won't wake with keyboard or mouse (CORRECTED)

Somehow, I managed to get it to wake with the keyboard, and when it does, it is almost instant on, just a few seconds.  I also discovered that if I try to wake it with the mouse, and it goes into that 'deeper' level of sleep, with no lights at all, and requiring the power button to wake up, it is more of a reboot than when it wakes from the keyboard.  I wonder if the failed wake is closer to a crash, and boot/recovery.  

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 126
Message 5 of 5

Re: Cube won't wake with keyboard or mouse (CORRECTED)

Windows has three power conservation modes

Sleep Mode

The current state is written to RAM and system powers almost all the way off, maintaining just enough power to maintain the RAM and sense keyboard mouse input etc in order to resume, and if the battery gets week, the system will hibernate.      From this mode the system resumes in seconds.

Hibernation

The current state is written to HDD and the system powers completely off, which means there is no power/connection to the keyboard or mouse.     From this mode you will have to press the power button, and the resume will take longer as the previous state is read in from the HDD.       This mode is usually not enabled on desktops

Hybrid Sleep

This is a combination of the two, the current state is written both to RAM and the HDD, and the system powers almost all the way off,  maintaining just enough power to maintain the RAM and sense keyboard mouse input etc in order to resume.

Hybrid sleep is what your desktop should be configured to do, because it is the best of both worlds, your system will resume fast if the power is never interrupted, but should there be an outage, it will still be able to resume by reading the state from the HDD, but you will have to press the power button to start it up.

It sounds to me like you have hybrid sleep disabled, and the system configured to Hibernate after a period of time.    These settings are configured the Control Panel

• Right-click Start, select Run, and in the Run window type:   powercfg.cpl   and press Enter
  • Locate your currently selected Power Plan and select Change Plan Settings
  • From the next window select  Change Advanced Power Settings

I would recommend you set your sleep settings similar to what I have set on my system which is shown below.   I have mine set to 30 minutes before entering sleep automatically, but you can chage that to your preference

If you want to force sleep immediately, Press Windows key + X, followed by U, then S

Capture.JPG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors