Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Desktops
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

12-14-2016

Australia

37 Signins

317 Page Views

• Views: 317
  • Message 1 of 16

Fan Speed in Y900 gaming Desktop Box Becomes loud and Noisy - How to Fix Please ?

2017-01-26, 11:45 AM

Hello everyone,

Only my 2nd post at the forums I think and after my recent one I ended up going with the Y900 Gaming Desktop and bought a 30 inch UHD 4K Ultra monitor to go with it and it flies and I love what Lenopvo has done with the design and features of this machine, it is awesome...:-) and with the GEForce 1080 card in it, the graphics are like nothing I have ever seen, I am just digging it, super job Lenovo....:-)

Anyways, I have only had the machine for several weeks now, runs well except the last 2 weeks every so often after a while of computer usage for a few hours when I am playing a game say Watch Dogs 2 or WOW or general PC use, the fan iside the box will start churning over really fast and become loud and my PC will sometimes become unresponsive but not all of the time, sometimes I can kleep playing away or using the PC in general and it runs as expected. Surely this shouldnt be a problem wityh a PC that is not even 2 months old.

I have searched google and Lenovo forums and read a few tips on a possible fix with the best one seeming to be:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/Y900-DIY-model-CPU-a-bit-loud-Any-suggestion-of-replacement/td-p/3379200

accesing the BIOS and changing the system fan setting from smart auto to manual and seting the minimum PWM to 10%. Can anyone confirm for me please if this is an acceptable fix or something that should/shouldnt be done or does anyone have any other fix for this issue so that I can get the fan to stop running really fast and loud.

Cheers Everyone,

Chris...:-)

Options

5234 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8344 Signins

132878 Page Views

• Views: 132878
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Fan Speed in Y900 gaming Desktop Box Becomes loud and Noisy - How to Fix Please ?

2017-01-26, 16:21 PM

The fan(s) are getting loud because the Gtx 1080 generates a lot of heat when you are gaming, the 30 inch UHD 4K monitor is much more taxing on the graphics card than a 24" HD 1080.  That it's becoming unresponsive suggests that you've reached the thermal limit of something, and limiting the fan speed would not help. 

First, ensure that you are at the latest BIOS version, the bios controls the fan speed and other critical hardware functions (run 'sys info' to see version.)   Next, I suggest you install hwmonitor (the free version) to monitor the temps the next time you game, and track the temps of the individual components, and identity potential problems.  You may be able to install optional fans (ie. 2nd front fan), spreading the heat load over more fans will reduce the speed they need to operate at.    Also important is where it's located, is it in a confined space like the knee hole of a desk? 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

25 Posts

12-14-2016

Australia

37 Signins

317 Page Views

• Message 3 of 16

Re: Fan Speed in Y900 gaming Desktop Box Becomes loud and Noisy - How to Fix Please ?

2017-01-29, 4:14 AM

Cheers Biggal for the advice..

I did a bit more research and the 1080 fans seemed tobe causing issues with a number of people over at the nvidia forums..

As I had a new machine which had I think the driver before the recommended update to fix the fan issue, I donwloaded and installed the latest driver and everything is going well so far..

Cheers,

Chris

Options

25 Posts

12-14-2016

Australia

37 Signins

317 Page Views

• Message 4 of 16

2017-02-05, 9:31 AM

Hey Biggal,

The fan issue still persists and is now becoming very frustrating. I updated to the latest Nvidia drivers for my GE Force 1080 but the problem still persists intermittently. I also tried as suggested by Lenovo support to update to the last BIOS/Firmware version for the PC however all this has done is not fix anything and removed the turbop boost option from my Lenovo Nerve Centre. I have sent a support e-mail to Lenovo 2 days ago and I'm sure they will get back top me soon enopugh.

It's now at the point where I am thinking of taking it back to the store for a replacement as I might have what is termed a "lemon" !. The fan will just spin wildy after 5 minutes use or go well for 6 hoprus then when I shut down a game it will start. After spending $3,600.00 on this PC, IO just want it to start running right and not have this fan issue on and off.

There surely has to be some fix but if not the machine will be going back to be replaced as it is under warranty.

Cheers,

Chris

Options

5234 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8344 Signins

132878 Page Views

• Message 5 of 16

2017-02-05, 12:54 PM

Which fan is spinning wildly?   Have you seen any of the temps be higher than expected after gaming?   Posting a screen capture would be helpful.   And what brand & model is the 1080?   Post a screen capture of GPU-Z. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.
Options

25 Posts

12-14-2016

Australia

37 Signins

317 Page Views

• Message 6 of 16

2017-02-07, 12:22 PM

Hi Biggal,

I'm a bit of a noob with all of this but I no longer have turbo boost in lenovo nerve centre so I cant see what temps are after gaming and Icant check the temps when the monitor shuts down as it then re-boots the system. I have checked my PC temps at times though with HW monitor whilst Iam playing and they are well within range of what is expected.

The lenovo nervbe centre disappered for some reason when I was asked by Lenovosupport to update my BIOS/UEFI stuff believeing that was the problem to fix the fan issue.

The brand model of the 1080 is Nvidia GeForce 1080 and how do I post a screen capture of the GPU-Z ?

Cheers,

Chris

Options

5234 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8344 Signins

132878 Page Views

• Message 7 of 16

2017-02-07, 13:45 PM

I wasn't looking for anything from Nerve Centre.  HWMonitor provides current and, most importantly, max temps for all temp sensors within the system.   If you have it running during a gaming session, then you'll see the max temps of the entire system. 

There's multiple ways to screen capture with Windows, but the simplest is to select the Window to capture, press the Alt+PrtSc keys together, paste capture into Paint, save; to upload to the forum, click the 'Photos' button above and select that file. 

High-end cards like a GTX 1080 are sophisticated computers themselves, and have a BIOS like a PC.   GPU-Z shows the BIOS version and other information, and I'll research if there was a heat/fan control issue fix in a later version of the BIOS.   In addition, it would be useful to get captures of the GPU-Z Sensors tab Window after a gaming session, one with the average for all the sensors selected, and one with the highest selected.   (Start GPU-Z right before a session and capture right after so the average values are not poluted by the card in idle state.)

Options

25 Posts

12-14-2016

Australia

37 Signins

317 Page Views

• Message 8 of 16

2017-02-19, 23:20 PM

Hi Biggal,

Just an update on this one. My PC is curerntly at the Lenovo Service centre in Sydney being looked over to be repaired/fixed. It has been there since 16 February so hopefully they can work out what's going on and sort it out and hopefully my machine will be back to me this week all ready to go.

There was a school of thought from the Lenovo customer serice person I have been dealing with that possibly my machine wasn't being booted up in the right priority and it had somehow changed over in the BIOS hence why the dropouts and machien switching off with the high fan RPM but I'm sure the guys at the service centre will sort it out but worst case if the machine is a lemon at least I get a brand spanking new one.

Cheers,

Chris

Options

5234 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8344 Signins

132878 Page Views

• Message 9 of 16

2017-02-20, 1:20 AM

Hi Chris,  thanks for the update, and given that it's a new machine, was the right thing to do.   -Al.  

Options

25 Posts

12-14-2016

Australia

37 Signins

317 Page Views

• Message 10 of 16

2017-02-28, 6:54 AM

Hi Biggal,

After my machine was picked up by DHL and transported to the Lenovo Service centre in Sydney from the retialer I purchased it from in Brisbane, it arrived there on February 16. 

After several mesages and e-mails back and forth with a customer service rep who was great in responding to me and 2 calls to find out what`s going on, I got an e-mail this afternoon to say that the machine has been repaired and is on it's way back to me.

I needed to know what was going on and what the actual issue was and what was causing it to do what it was doing so I called the support number up and spoke to a very hepful guy called Azim who told me that after extensive testing, what they found the issue and what they have done is completely re-positioned and re-seated the CPU heatsink and aplied brand new thermal paste and then tested it extensively over 2 days and no further issues and I got the e-mail this afternoon to say that machine has been repaired and is back on its way to me. 

I'm not tech savy enough and have an extremely limited knowledge of heat sinks, paste etc... but it seems like to me that they found the issue and have completely re-done whatever it is thet needed to do and the machine is good to go.

Sounds good andnow i can get to using the machine that I paid good dollars for in a few days when it gets back.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms