cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnLFP
Paper Tape
Views: 815
Message 1 of 6

How to add additional SSD to Legion T730 Desktop? Drive bay bracket doesn't work with SSD

I have a Legion T730 desktop with two 3.5" hard drive bays that use the plastic holder in the attached image below.

I'm trying to add an additional SSD to one of the drive bays, but the SSD brackets I have won't work. The problem is that the T730 has the SSD and power connectors fixed to the T730 case, so the bracket that attaches to the plastic holder has to hold the SSD drive in a specific spot so it can plug into the connectors.

The second attached image shows my SSD drive plugged into the connector without the bracket. The drive isn't supported by anything and it's just hanging loose, so this isn't a permanent solution.

Is there a special SSD bracket designed to work with the T730?

ssd_tray.jpgPlastic bracket to connect drive to drive bay  ssd_connector.jpgSSD drive plugged into fixed connector in back of drive bay

JohnLFP
Paper Tape
Views: 777
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to add additional SSD to Legion T730 Desktop? Drive bay bracket doesn't work with SSD

Solved!  I found an SSD holder that works. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZWX6PD

The Legion drive bays are designed for standard SATA drives with the connectors in the lower left corner of the front of the drive. When you put a SATA drive in the Legion's plastic drive holder upside down, that orients it perfectly for the connectors that are fixed to the back of the drive bay.

The normal SSD metal trays don't put the connectors in that exact spot, since usually SSDs are connected with flexible cables.

The only SSD adapter I found that works is shaped like a 3.5" SATA drive on the outside, but has a separate connector inside it for the SSD. The end result that is that it looks like a SATA drive going into the bay, which can plug in correctly.

xc_mezcal
What's DOS?
Views: 584
Message 3 of 6

Re: How to add additional SSD to Legion T730 Desktop? Drive bay bracket doesn't work with SSD

Hello JohnLP,

How did get the new ssd plug in? I currently have a hd drive, a nvme and an optical drive pre-installed into T730. So I didn't find any cable available for an additional ssd drive.

How did you connect yours?

Thanks!
JohnLFP
Paper Tape
Views: 569
Message 4 of 6

Are there two hard drive bays?  If so, one of them should be empty. Those two drive bays have fixed SATA plugs at the bottom. You just have to plug the SSD holder into that plug. No need to touch any of the SATA.

xc_mezcal
What's DOS?
Views: 555
Message 5 of 6

Thanks! I see that that plugs now! It's quite hidden!
Dyomster
What's DOS?
Views: 290
Message 6 of 6

Thank you, will try this out!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors