Options

46 Posts

08-30-2017

RO

87 Signins

865 Page Views

• Views: 865
  • Message 1 of 73

IdeaCentre AIO Y910 cooling mod. It's possible, it's done and it's amazing! cooler heatsink upgrade

2017-09-21, 17:13 PM

Dear fellow AIO Y910 owners,

In case you have an i5 CPU, i guess you're just about OK with the default cooling system since you're hovering about 65C in full load.  As far as fan noise goes, you're your own judge on that.

In case you have an i7-6700 CPU, well...92 to 95C under full load and a laptop fan screaming in bursts at over 4000rpm is what we should expect.

Well...no more. Sorry i probably obliterated my warranty, but i like the machine too much to return it.  I just, let's say, enhanced the cooling system a bit.  I don't want to disable turbo, i don't want to run it with all the plastic cases off. I just wanted to enjoy it.

I completely removed the CPU cooling system and installed an Arctic Liquid Freezer 120, using:

the existing 4 holes in the mainboard

the LGA1151 pins supplied with the cooler

the AMD bracket supplied with the cooler, but modified by drilling 4 addt'l holes at exact location to fit the pin setup

one 12" fan supplied with the cooler, running at 800-1350rpm. didn't bother to install the second fan for a push/pull effect because...well see for yourselves:

Before (Y910 stock cooling)

Idle 45C, Load 93C, Fan Speed 3800-4500rpm

After (Arctic Liquid Freezer 120)

Idle 28C, Load 54C, Fan Speed 820rpm constant.

Gallery attached HERE.

Please be aware that attempting a similar setup will void your warranty, you're doing so at own risk.

But it's worth ;)

Mod:  edited Subject line to add more keywords

Solved! See the solution
Options

2444 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3397 Signins

42030 Page Views

• Views: 42030
  • Message 2 of 73

Re: Ideacentre AIO Y910 cooling mod. It's possible, it's done and it's amazing!

2017-09-22, 1:18 AM

Huge improvement... wow!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

105 Posts

01-24-2017

US

330 Signins

1810 Page Views

• Views: 1810
  • Message 3 of 73

2017-09-22, 19:17 PM

I really appreciate the excellent work you have done with this mod. I commend you! Also really appreciate your posting the info and pictures so anyone else with high temps in this model now has a layout to help solve things, if the choose to try a DIY fix.

Frankly, I feel you have created a template here for how cooling should be handled on most or all high end AIO systems. Liquid cooled with the cooler/fan installed on the outside should come stock from the factory.  They could do this with a little adjustment to design, and at the prices they charge for these systems still make plenty of profit. Just the money saved on tech support and returns should help defray the greater initial cost.

zerozoneice, well done!

Options

13 Posts

10-20-2017

US

22 Signins

203 Page Views

• Views: 203
  • Message 4 of 73

2017-10-20, 7:49 AM

Very nice MOD. Couple questions...
What did you have to do to allow for the cooling tubes to exit the computer?
What did you use to mount the fan externally?

Options

50 Posts

10-26-2017

US

66 Signins

484 Page Views

• Views: 484
  • Message 5 of 73

2017-10-26, 16:11 PM

Did you have to install any brackets to the back of the motherboard like most coolers?

Options

46 Posts

08-30-2017

RO

87 Signins

865 Page Views

• Message 6 of 73

2017-11-01, 12:52 PM

@dwoodone:

a) a bit of DYI to cut (3-4cm) the plastic backcover just above the top of the foot stand, so the tubes can fit.

b) right now sitting on my desk, like a tail :) but you can use adhesive velcro or something if you want to stick it to the back cover (like it was in one of my photos)

@themuffstuff:

no work needed on back of the board. The bracket already holds the existing holes for default cooler. you just need to use a combo of the Arctic Cooler components for this job: the AMD bracket and the Intel screws, if i remember correctly.

More than a month in, system performs beautifully. Right now idling at 26C (desktop work) with ambient of 24C. Load goes to max 56C (using synthetic CPU benchmarks, not real-life usage). Whisper quiet, fan never goes above 820rpm :) The only thing that makes this system louder under heavy gaming is the Gtx1070's fan which still never goes above 50% and is worlds apart better sounding than the laptop cpu fan used by default in this AIO.

Overall super stable, quiet and fast.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

13 Posts

10-20-2017

US

22 Signins

203 Page Views

• Message 7 of 73

2017-11-01, 14:28 PM
Ok, thank you. I was figuring that you had to go through the panel right above the base but I wanted to make sure that a bit of panel was all that blocked the way and not structural parts on the chassis.

So does the fan and pump on the Arctic Cooler power off the same point as the old fan?

And what controlls the pump/ fan speeds?
Or is it just a fixed spped?

Thank you in advance for your input. This is a solid solution to make this system the gaming machine it can be.
Options

46 Posts

08-30-2017

RO

87 Signins

865 Page Views

• Message 8 of 73

2017-11-01, 17:10 PM

afaik we did a custom connector to be able to use the small 4pin one on the motherboard (it's the only fan header). It drives now both the pump and the fan, should be able to adjust speed but so far it hasn't gone above 850-ish RPM. If i put my ear next to the back of the AIO, i can hear the pump more than the fan...it's an amazing piece of kit this Arctic.

compared to the hairdryer that was before, it's almost surreal now running 100% on all cores and not hearing a thing.

be careful though after you drill and install the AMD bracket, you need to carefully place the pump and securing it in place is tricky, we used tiny nuts (lol, check one of the pictures in OP) and first time the pump didn't work at all. The reason was that the nuts corners' were slightly pressing against the plastic casing of the pump, not allowing the fan inside to spin properly. Lots of trial  & error but in the you'll love this machine again.

Btw no need to upgrade the 1070 yet for 2 reasons: it's fast enough and "fast vsync" setting does a very good job, and 2nd, AMD doesn't play nice with Hackintoshes yet. I hear Vega 56 is equivalent of gtx1070 but it's power hungry and loud as well. Not a good trade-off (yet) just to be able to use the monitor's Freesync feature.

Wish it had a 4K IPS screen, but then we'd lose the 144Hz which, once you experience even in desktop, it's hard to go back to choppy 60Hz. For now running 1080p in HIDPI mode, good for my eyes.

Options

13 Posts

10-20-2017

US

22 Signins

203 Page Views

• Message 9 of 73

2017-11-01, 20:01 PM
Well, we shall see how this goes. Just ordered from Amazon. Hopefully "custom connector" doesn't mean I'll have to rewire stuff.

As far as tight clearances for the nuts...I am considering machining pins that use an allen head cap screw into the pin rather than the nut on the stud as it is now. The round Allen head should have more clearance than the nuts do.
Options

50 Posts

10-26-2017

US

66 Signins

484 Page Views

• Views: 484
  • Message 10 of 73

2017-11-02, 2:12 AM

Fast Sync is useless on 144hz monitors because you are never going to go above that with a 1070. 1080 would be a good upgrade, or even a V56 w/ power saver, pulls about the same TDP as a 1070. Would make use of freesync for sure, now we just have to figure out what is the freesync range...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete