Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Desktops
All Forum Topics
Options

46 Posts

08-30-2017

Romania

87 Signins

865 Page Views

• Views: 865
  • Message 71 of 76

Re:IdeaCentre AIO Y910 cooling mod. It's possible, it's done and it's amazing! cooler heatsink upgrade

2020-08-13, 21:37 PM

Just an update, swapped the 256GB default SSD for a Sabrent Rocket 1TB M2 and this thing flies...apparently in the Y910 specsheet they said we have only 2 channels of PCIe (M.2 SSD / PCIe 3.0 x 2) but it seems there's all 4 of them. I got 3300MB/s read and 3100 MB/s write, LOL :)

The Sapphire Pulse RX5700XT runs very fast and quiet, in desktop mode (even some games) the fans do not even spin.

Just bumped in an article of some guy who modded a Lenovo BIOS to remove the WIFI card whitelists... :)

https://medium.com/@p0358/removing-wlan-wwan-bios-whitelist-on-a-lenovo-laptop-to-use-a-custom-wi-fi-card-f6033a5a5e5a

So there may be hope....thing is due to our socket the max we can install is a Kaby Lake which is not soooo great of an improvement over our Skylake i7.
For me running MacOS Catalina might be hope to get a BCM94360 Wifi card (if it's not whitelisted, which i assume it is) and have everything running smooth.
For any of you running MacOS on the Y910, beware that AppleHDA is not working properly, there's a single mapping that works but only the microphone, not the speakers...duhh. So we have to use VoodooHDA instead. Also the Intel Webcam is not working.

By the way, our BIOS is rewrite protected. Mod (if any) can be flashed using SPI-programmer+SOIC8 clip only

...meaning most likely any mod job has to be done custom per-machine and with physical access to it

Options

2 Posts

07-26-2016

United States of America

65 Signins

935 Page Views

• Views: 935
  • Message 72 of 76

Re:IdeaCentre AIO Y910 cooling mod. It's possible, it's done and it's amazing! cooler heatsink upgrade

2020-09-25, 18:37 PM

@ skunkerdz wrote:

Hey guys...

over one year ago I have done the cooling mod from zerozoneice too. I love this mod and was really happy with it. But three months ago I bought an "Alphacool Eiswolf GPX-Pro" All-in-One Watercooling-Kit for the Geforce GTX 1070.  I removed the backside of the case again and used a "Bosch Multicutter" to edit the case and making space for the water pipes. The system runs like a charm and now cpu und gpu are on max. 50 degree heat even on full load. I also changed the fan from the PSU, because the stock one was to loud. If anyone needs additional informations, feel free to ask me here in forum.

Hi, saw the eiswolf cooler you installed on your GTX 1070 and was thinking about doing the same to my RTX 2080 blower that gets obnoxiously loud unless I set the power target down to 80%. How well does the GPU sit in the computer without the metal holder? The pcie slot is the only thing holding it in at that point right?

Options

51 Posts

11-23-2017

Germany

79 Signins

686 Page Views

• Views: 686
  • Message 73 of 76

2020-10-17, 14:57 PM

Hi there,

great work with all your cooling mods! Thank you for your inspirations!

With the undervolting trick of the CPU (-0,164 V here) I stopped the very loud standard fan noise in summer 2017 when I bought this AIO (the version with i7 6700 and GTX 1080)... I also removed the metal cage around the GPU so the GPU fan can work very much better now... Modifying the GPU voltage/frequency curve and the fan curve with Afterburner helped further...

But I still was dissatisfied with the very hot temperatures of the CPU (>80 °C), GPU (>86 °C), SSD (>65 °C) and HDD (> 50 °C) under full load when playing games...

So here is my solution for this great AIO:

I found out that all the hot air from the GPU part is blowing through the CPU part, and than the CPU fan is blowing it out of the AIO case. So the CPU is going very hot even it has nothing to do...

Normally the CPU is going up to >90 °C for example in the Valley Benchmark which I used to demonstrate my solution because it gets all the hot air from GPU... And that although the CPU has nothing to do there...

I had the idea to take two simple USB fans and put them in front of the two ventilation slots of the case and cover the rest with tape. I covered also the slots at the bottom of the case. So the fans blow all the air into the case and the air is constantly blowing out at the top slots of the case.

At room temperatur of 23 °C the CPU is in idle around 32 °C and the GPU is around 35 °C... SSD (33 °C), HDD (40 °C)...

Under load with Valley Benchmark the GPU goes to the to 81 °C like in a normal tower case with good air flow but now the GPU stays at 1860 MHz boost clock. Normally the GPU falls back to standard clock 1607 MHz after a short time at temps >= 82°C.

The CPU stays around 50 °C which is very good now (standard temps here would be > 80 °C).

While running Prime95 normally the CPU get temps > 90 °C, now it stays at 78 °C.

Maybe this idea helps other owners of this great AIO. A really cheap and easy solution for people who are not in the mood for major modifications to their AIO to lower the temperatures like with the water cooling mod... ;-)

Best regards

Options

1 Posts

01-10-2021

Mexico

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 74 of 76

2021-01-10, 10:06 AM
Sorry for asking but, do you know if the monitor itself is also connected directly to the psu? Cuz im wondering if its possible to get an regular external psu, connect everything to the new one even if i have to place the whole pc on top of it. I just got a 3070 an it shuts down after an hour of gaming. PS: dont have the money to build a new pc right now. Thank you.
Options

20 Posts

12-29-2017

United States of America

28 Signins

375 Page Views

• Views: 375
  • Message 75 of 76

2021-01-10, 14:21 PM
Monitor is comnected solely to the Motherboard, since the display board is integrated into it. You could buy and external display driver for that specific monitor but I have only seen them go for 100 bucks or so, and at that point it would be used as just a monitor. If it shuts down like that, then the system is overheating somewhere. If it is the psu, you can buy some usb fans that you can tie to the psu intake / exhaust so that you can give it that extra boost of fresh air. The fan on the psu is tiny and really only assists in pulling the warm air up from the psu faster.
Options

2 Posts

07-26-2016

United States of America

65 Signins

935 Page Views

• Views: 935
  • Message 76 of 76

2021-01-17, 2:42 AM

If you don't care about a mess of wires, you can get a second psu to power just the 3070 with the help of a 24pin jumper, then the internal psu would still be powering everything else. Or, you can just turn down the power limit on the 3070 and make it work on the internal psu.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms