US

15 Signins

146 Page Views

• Views: 146
  • Message 1 of 18

Legion C730 Cube M.2 NVMe Clip or Tray

2019-03-31, 15:39 PM

Hello, 

I purchased a new Legion c730 from the Lenovo site. I looked at the specifications when purchasing and saw it allowed for an M.2 NVMe SSD on the motherboard. I purchased a Samsung 970 Pro which I received Friday. When I opened the computer I realized the M.2 slot was there but there is no way to hold the card down. I contacted sales and was transfered to support. Support was unable to assist me and stated that they do not support upgrades. After further research I went the parts store and found that the motherboard for my computer is supposed to have a blue clip that clearly stands out in the pictures of the part. My motherboard is missing this clip and therefore I'm unable to install my M.2 card. 

I have been unable to find that blue clip in the store as a stand alone purchase, so it seems my computer was built without it, most likely over looked during the build process. 

Is anyone familar with where I can get this clip? Or is there a tray that is compatible with this motherboard that I can install? 

I am not sure who to contact about this at this point. I have no issue installing this clip myself, I've built numerous computers myself, but the holes on the motherboard seem to be different than others I've seen, so I suspect something generic won't work. 

Attached is the picture of the motherboard. The blue clip stands out in the picture behind the connects in the front of the pic.

Thank you for your assistance!

Solved! See the solution
Options

271 Posts

02-06-2017

US

274 Signins

5830 Page Views

• Views: 5830
  • Message 2 of 18

Re: Legion C730 Cube M.2 NVMe Clip or Tray

2019-04-01, 17:46 PM

Greetings and welcome new Lenovo forum user,

That is not all that seems to be missing but also a M.2SSD 2242 HEATSINK.

If you take a look at page 39 of the Lenovo Legion C530/C730 Hardware Maintenance Manual you will see the two components that would be needed.

Yeah I too am having a very hard time finding the blue rubber button hold down but thinking it could maybe be listed under MISC INTERNAL as HDD rubber for TOWER, WST , Part No: 5M20U50604 on the Parts & Accessories support page. The M.2 heatsink is listed under heatsinks of the same Parts & Accessories support page.

Edit:  And as to Leneovo support saying "they do not support upgrades" I would tell them this would not be for an upgrade but the optional parts that are needed.

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2019

US

15 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 3 of 18

2019-04-01, 18:06 PM

Hi EyeDeeNo,

Thank you for the reply. I think in my case I am not missing the heat sink. My computer did not come with a NVMe Card installed. I purchased an NVMe card seperatly and was going to install it myself. I think the picture depicted is for those pc's that did come with the built in NVMe Card. 

However in my case the motherboard should have had that rubber button/clip attached in order to install an NVMe Card like the pic I attached. 

I did look at that HDD rubber for Tower, WST before and thought that might be it as well. But with no picture there is no way to really know. When I called sales they weren't even sure what an M.2 NVMe SSD was. Tech support didn't either, making it very difficult to get what we are looking for.

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2019

US

15 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2019-04-01, 20:04 PM

I've contacted support through Chat again. This time I was able to get a little more help. Though it seems they don't have a part on their part list for this. Meaning it's part of the motherboard, and therefore the best solution here is to return the computer. 

A case number was created for me for contacting order support. 

I really wish I could have just been sent the button. Such an easy and simple fix, looking at a picture of the mobo you can clearly see its just a push in and turn installation. Wouldn't even need to take the motherboard out. But it seems that won't be possible since they don't have the part available. 

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2019

US

15 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2019-04-04, 21:42 PM

Update:

So I contacted sales support and gave them my case number. The customer service rep was very nice and attempted to help with this issue.

I explained that I would really prefer if they could just send me the missing piece over doing a full replacement of the computer.

He got back to me the next day after inquiring and gave me the same answer I got from tech support. They had to issue a replacement and couldn't sent the rubber button.

Because I would rather just fix I'm going to look for my old screw kit that's probably collected a bit of dust over the years and see if I can put together a combo of screws and standoffs that could work. Yes it's a rig, and it will require me taking the motherboard out but at least I won't have to ship it, wait for another computer and hope they included the rubber button on the new one.

If anyone has encountered this or can think of a better solution, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Rick

Options

271 Posts

02-06-2017

US

274 Signins

5830 Page Views

• Views: 5830
  • Message 6 of 18

2019-04-04, 22:01 PM

"can put together a combo of screws and standoffs that could work" I was thinking of this too. I hope all goes well.

Sounds as if this blue plastic/rubber button hold down is only on hand over in China where the factories are and Lenovo doesn't have it listed or available as field replaceable unit. Edit: Well really it's apart of the motherboard so one would need to purchase a entire board to get it.

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2019

US

15 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 7 of 18

2019-04-05, 0:03 AM

Here is what I’ve done. Found my screw kit and found that a brass stand off is the perfect height. Had to put the screw part of the stand off in the mobo hole. So it was loose and I didn’t want metal touching it. So I wrapped the screw in electrical tape so there’s no brass touching and it’s a tight fit in the hole. 

Then I used insulation gaskets between the mobo and standoff. Another on top of the stand off between it and the ssd and then another gasket on the screw going into the stand off. 

It’s a secure fit and should work. It’s a hell of a rig but the ssd is now secure. 

Now to test it all. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

05-21-2019

US

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 8 of 18

2019-05-21, 19:13 PM

Im in the same boat as you im afraid. Im wondering why even fasten it down at all? Does it act as a ground or conduit of some sort. the port is not snug enough to hold the m.2 drive without a screw support?

Options

9 Posts

03-31-2019

US

15 Signins

146 Page Views

• Message 9 of 18

2019-05-21, 19:23 PM

So the card works in a push down mechanism. You slide into the slot and push the card down to screw it in. 

Without the screw the card sits up in a diagonal position. The motherboard is not on the bottom of the PC. So the card is basically in the air only held by the connection. I wiggled it a bit and found it wasn't as secure as I would like it to be. Last thing I want is move the PC and have the drive pop loose. 

This is the reason. For the screw. Now I'm not sure if there is a loss of functionality. Will it work in that diagonal position? Maybe, maybe not. I didn't try. 

Either way I rigged it and it's working perfectly fine. It was a bit of a pain but it worked out. I just can't believe they would skimp out and not send that button with the PC. 

Options

2 Posts

05-21-2019

US

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 10 of 18

2019-05-21, 23:44 PM

Right on, well hopefully there was a hole in the mb where the screw should go for the m2 ssd. There are some inexpensive screw kits on amazon ($6 or $7)  that i will throw in the cart when i am ready to get my m.2 and hopefully take the place of that blue clip deal. The guy above was right about the manual it shows the clip but hopefully that aftermarket solution is the same gauge.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete