Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Desktops
All Forum Topics
Options

61 Posts

01-02-2017

United States of America

65 Signins

443 Page Views

• Views: 443
  • Message 1 of 4

Legion T7-34IMZ5 Desktop - Bios and Driver Updates?

2021-05-20, 4:09 AM

How often does Lenovo provide bios and driver updates?  I have had my Legion T7 34IMZ5 since January 2021 and haven’t had a single update.  I check for updates weekly and nothing has been released.  Most of the available drivers are for Windows 10 version 1909 (November 2019 Update) and version 2004 (May 2020 Update).  Nothing has been released for version 20H2 (October 2020 Update) and the recently released 21H1 (May 2021 Update).

Since I purchased my Lenovo – my first ever Lenovo product, I have had the following updates for my other devices:
•    Dell XPS 15 Laptop – has had a total of 21 bios and driver updates since January 2021.
•    Dell XPS 8930 Desktop has had a total of 27 bios and driver updates since January 2021.
•    Apple iPad and iPhone have had multiple updates.

I use Intels and NVidias sites to update my Intel drivers and Nvidia GPU.  I keep up on all of the Microsoft updates as many of them have security updates.

Does Lenovo update the bios and drivers?  If they do, what is the release cycle?  I’m concerned that I’ve purchased an unsupported product and that Lenovo as the vendor only provides bios and drivers when they release a new product.  Is that the case?

Options

4630 Posts

12-11-2015

United States of America

4687 Signins

53777 Page Views

• Views: 53777
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Legion T7-34IMZ5 Desktop - Bios and Driver Updates?

2021-05-20, 5:12 AM

There is a BIOS update for your system available that was released on May 6, 2021, but as is far too common with Lenovo, the accompanying readme.txt give no information on what it addresses, which is one of my beefs about Lenovo BIOS updates. 

Driver updates are only released when updated by the hardware manufacturers of the devices installed on your system, and the ones updated are typically done to address issues with new versions of Windows, and/or to address issues with software and game, which is often the case with graphics drivers.

I tend to follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule, and don't apply updates unless needed to address some issue I am having with my systems. 

As far as Windows 10 20H1 & 21H1, according to Lenovo your system has been tested and was found to be compatible with both 20H1 and 21H1.   Why Microsoft has not offered 20H1 on your system yet is unknown, but according to MS their rollout of the latest 21H1 is going to be done in steps.     If you want to install 21H1 now, see the article below

Get the Windows 10 May 2021 Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-the-windows-10-may-2021-update-7d20e88c-0568-483a-37bc-c3885390d212

Cheers, 

Options

61 Posts

01-02-2017

United States of America

65 Signins

443 Page Views

• Views: 443
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-05-20, 16:04 PM
Thanks for your reply JDGillis. The mentioned Bios update is only for systems with the new Rocket Lake processor, which hasn't even started shipping to the US. I take a very different view on updates as cybercriminals are constantly looking for ways to attack systems that are not kept up to date. I agree with your assessment that Lenovo doesn't need to worry about driver updates for components that are from a 3rd party, but these PCs have many proprietary components - system board (bios), GPU (bios/firmware), etc. are all Lenovo labeled and have custom proprietary software. I've seen notes on this forum that Lenovo is working on a bios update, but those notes are over a month old and we've seen no ETA or any actual updates. Like many others are stating in these forums, these devices feel very neglected when it comes to bios and driver updates.
Options

31 Posts

12-25-2019

United States of America

39 Signins

183 Page Views

• Views: 183
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-05-26, 17:05 PM

Suggest not worrying about bios updates -- esp as you say when bios' update notes give you no clue why the bios update is issued in 1st place. Also, since bios is something hackers are interested in exploiting as of late it may be wise to have a password for access, as well as enable secure boot*. Don't know if you've actually tried to update your bios but apparently some are having problems getting bios to update, even if they follow Lenovo instructions.

Edit: Almost forgot to suggest to all that you use bitlocker encryption on your main drive. For noobs this is old school but do not seek out 'free' full version software or game cheats since you are in effect inviting crooks to exploit without you even knowing you invited them in. Even best A/V can't help knucklehead moves like that.

Like your 'if it ain't broke' advice, too.

Just saying.

* See NSA attachment FYI

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms