02-14-2020

US

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 3

Legion T730-28ICO Fails to Boot or Find 2nd Hard Drive

2020-07-16, 14:03 PM

I purchased my Lenovo Legion T730-28ICO PC in November, 2019.    It has an i7-9700k CPU, 32gb RAM, a GeForce RXT 2070 GPU, a 500gb SSD, and a 1,000gb HDD, just as shipped by Lenovo.

Alas, it is now difficult to boot the machine at all.  It has also "lost" the second internal drive.

I noted early on that it had a tendency to "black out" (have a seizure) for 4-5 seconds at odd intervals, while performing simple operations or watching video.  I occasionally use it to edit 4k video, but involving fairly small projects.  I also edit HD video (half-hour projects) and use some spreadsheets.  No real gaming.  I occasionally plug in, but then remove, SD card readers or other USB devices.

About 1 month ago, the boot time for the Legion became slower and slower.  I also noted that sometimes that the File Explorer would be unable to "find" the 2nd internal hard disc drive (which came installed).

This past week, the Legion has failed to boot multiple times.  The monitor shows only the Legion logo and a circle of dots that flash and spin.  The "automatic repair" function sometimes works, but other times does not.  When a boot occasionally succeeds, sometimes the keyboard does not work, so I cannot enter the PW, and must try to boot again.  It can take hours to boot and sign-on successfully.  The second internal hard drive is, more and more often, not accessible.  Yesterday, I backed-up that drive.  Now, today, after three hours and multiple (often failed) boots, that drive remains inaccessible.   But the boot problem suggests that the issue may be more than just a defective drive.  The system programs are on the primary SSD.

I have no other external drives, SD cards, or thumb drives connected to the computer.  I have tried various cold starts.  The "automatic repair" function has enabled me to access this Forum, but I am afraid that the boot problem (and maybe the "seizure" phenomenon) will soon make the computer inoperable. 

A paradox: if this is some sort of BIOS problem, that is something that won't appear if the machine boots, but cannot be diagnosed if a boot flat-out fails.  Right?  And why does the "automatic repair" function not assure that the next time one starts the computer that it should boot as normal?

I would not be qualified to tear apart the machine and micro diagnose things.  That was never necessary for older machines of other brands in my possession which still work.

Any guidance is welcome.  Humble prayer alone has not worked.

Options

2 Posts

02-14-2020

US

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Legion T730-28ICO Fails to Boot or Find 2nd Hard Drive

2020-07-17, 14:57 PM

This morning I held a "live chat" with Lenovo support.  The contact suggested I try a "factory reset."  I attempted this, but when the PC restarted, a pop-up stated "unable to make changes."  Again I tried a factory re-set.  This time, the T730 would not re-boot at all.  Two cycles of "preparing automatic repair," achieved nothing.  After a few minutes with the "preparing automatic repair" text on screen, the computer made a "rush" sound, as if about to boot, but then nothing happened.  Nothing to see but the LEGION logo and the spinning dots.  During a following attempt, once more, to boot, the attached screen message appeared.  

Recovery

Your PC couldn't start properly

After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be repaired.

Error Code: Oxc0000001

You'll need to use recovery tools.  If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again

Press F1 to enter Recovery Environment

Press F8 for Startup Settings

Press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings

But nothing happened when I actually tried to invoke the F-key or other options.  It did not matter whether I pressed the keys briefly or longer.  Even if the keys, had worked, I'm not sure what would have to happen to have more effect than the "automatic repair," which often does not work and, at best, works only for one boot.

Last Step: I re-started the PC and, after seeing "preparing automatic repair," now see only the Legion logo and the spinning dots.  My experience is that if the auto-repair does not work within 15 minutes, it won't work at all. 

Right now, I am using an old laptop to make this Forum entry.

Has anyone else faced this situation?  What to do?

Comments welcome.

Options

15 Posts

12-25-2019

US

18 Signins

83 Page Views

• Views: 83
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Legion T730-28ICO Fails to Boot or Find 2nd Hard Drive

2020-07-20, 4:16 AM

This is a new PC so someone at Lenovo is going to have spend time with you. Microosft can also help and the good thing about that is they can get your PC going remotely. You just sit back and watch it get fixed. Any explanations we could give will be complicated and drawn out. First thing to do then, is to image the drive using MS backup, so you can use it WHEN (not if) windows needs a fresh install. It gets better -- sounds like you have a great edition.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete