09-03-2020

US

16 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1 of 7

Legion Tower 5i - front fans blowing wrong direction

2020-09-25, 13:26 PM

What direction are your front fans blowing?

This issue was first brought up in here:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Legion-Tower-5i-CPU-RGB-Fan-lighting-not-working/m-p/5037190

I think it needs a thread of its own, so I decided to start a new topic here.

It seems that many people have purchased Legion Tower 5i desktops with the front fans installed incorrectly.  For example, when I received my computer, both front fans were blowing air out the front (stickers not visible).  This was definitely incorrect so I flipped both fans so air would blow inward (stickers visible as in photo below).

After doing this I found out that some people received their Legion Tower 5i with the top fan blowing air inward and the bottom fan blowing air out (see photo below):

I'm interested in hearing how other's front fans came installed.

Please reply with:

• The direction your front fans were facing when you first received your Legion Tower 5i desktop
  • Did you leave them that way, or did you flip any of them around?
Options

Re:Legion Tower 5i - front fans blowing wrong direction

2020-09-25, 14:04 PM

This issue did deserve its own thread. Mine came like the bottom photo. The front top fan was blowing in and the front bottom fan was blowing out. That is fundamentally wrong (see any diagram or video on case air flow). Further, two fans blowing out and only one blowing in total creates negative air space in a case. Worse with the bottom blowing out it was starving both the PSU and GPU of cold air. I flipped the bottom so both fans are now blowing air into the case (like the top photo). 

Options

12 Posts

01-09-2017

US

21 Signins

287 Page Views

• Views: 287
  • Message 3 of 7

2020-10-03, 12:43 PM
Same; just got my machine, and fans were flipped.
Options

9 Posts

09-12-2020

US

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-10-17, 19:45 PM

I started this whole thing, and now I'm curious if switching the bottom fan to an outtake was done to help the GPU get better flow across the bottom of the card, I doubt it was done for dust reasons as it creates an area of negative pressure where dust can get sucked into the system. after having the fans both as intakes I have noticed that my RTX 2060 Is thermal throttling when I play COD: Modern Warfare 2019. The case itself has no actual Dust filtration and the power supply vents directly into the case rather than out the bottom, I had my power supply trip once while simply trying to post a picture in discord but haven't had any issues since. But cooling wise for both the GPU and Power Supply having the bottom fan as an intake could theoretically help with temps.

Also, a Lenovo Admin did confirm that flipping the fans would not void the warranty as long as you don't damage anything while doing it. I may do some testing to see if there is a noticeable difference between the two configurations, if there is I will post my results in this thread.

Options

10 Posts

09-03-2020

US

16 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-11-03, 14:34 PM

Since people have received their desktops with haphazardly installed fans,  it would be nice if someone from Lenovo would chime in and let us know how they are supposed to come installed.

Options

1 Posts

11-11-2020

US

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-11-12, 0:58 AM

I do not think anyone from Lenovo will be commenting but I did find this youtube video and it appears the labels should be facing inside the case.

I hope this helps!

Options

5 Posts

11-17-2020

CA

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-11-25, 4:19 AM

I asked Lenovo support about this.

My fans were both blowing out, with both labels invisible from the inside. The machine has crashed multiple times with no warning. Not sure if the crashes are due to the backward fans.

During my chat with Kyle from support, the following conversation happened. Apologies for the length. I did remove some superfluous sentences, and I put in bold the more important parts. Read only the bold parts to save time.

Alexandre: I've read elsewhere that some Legion computers have been misassembled and the fans in front are facing the wrong way.

Alexandre: Which way should they be facing?

Kyle: Do you have the link where you're reading it?

[...]

Alexandre: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/Legion-Tower-5i-front-fans-blowing-wrong-direction/m-p/5040801

Kyle: Thanks.

Kyle: Please take a photo of your fan installed in the tower.

Alexandre: sure. But I really would like an answer.

Alexandre: No one from Lenovo has answered in that forum thread...

Kyle: Checking on it.

Kyle: Please give me 2-3 minutes here.

Alexandre: Here is the photo:  

File attachment upload has started.

The file IMG_3874.jpeg (554.17KB) was received.

Kyle: Thanks.

[...long delay...]

Kyle: Hi Alexandre. I'm sorry for the delayed response.

[...]

Kyle: The right set up of the fans should be the 2nd photo.

Alexandre: ah! So, one in and one out?

Kyle: Yes.

Alexandre: what is the risk of having them both like i do?

Kyle: I think the set up of your fans were both blowing air out. Correct?

Alexandre: it does seem that way. with the label facing out.

Kyle: The uses of fans are to control the heat inside of the tower.

Alexandre: So, no air intake...! yikes

Kyle: Do you need an onsite service to set this up for you?

Alexandre: No. What is the risk of having all fans blow out?

Alexandre: I suspect that many many clients have this problem and never know about it.

Alexandre: If there is overheating, could the CPU simply stop running and cause a sudden stop?

Alexandre: This is a known problem and lenovo should warn all of their clients.

Alexandre: lol. As if Lenovo would proactively offer good service to their clients. #wishfulthinking

Kyle: If the device is overheating  your computer may become unstable, suddenly shut down, or even suffer component damage.

Alexandre: it would be interesting to know how many machines were misassembled.

Alexandre: How many clients received a faulty machine? How many clients will have a suddenly misfunctioning computer? (and maybe just outside the warranty period...)

Kyle: Honestly I don't have any idea about it.

Alexandre: Kyle, will you report this problem to lenovo?

Kyle: I already escalated this to our supports and manager in order for us to provide an answer to our customers and on how to deal with this.

Kyle: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Alexandre: good. hopefully they will react before the century is over.

Kyle: It's my pleasure helping you today. Thanks for reaching Lenovo Premium Care Support. Have a goodnight. Stay Safe!

Kyle has disconnected.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete