Options

1 Posts

08-16-2020

EE

3 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 1

Ideacentre Y700 34ISH 90DF CPU upgrade failed. From i5-6400 to i7-7700.

2020-08-16, 7:20 AM

Hello, 

bought this PC 4 years ago. It still runs well. I've decided to upgrade it a little bit. Checked everything. So I've tried to install i7-7700 CPU instead of original i5-6400. The main difference between them is that i5 is Skylake and i7 Kaby Lake. But socket is same and power consumption too. I've thought that this is the best solution. Unfortunately the computer with i7 doesn't show any picture on monitor. But it works. Tried it without CPU fan, it gets very hot. I've put the old one i5 back and the picture is back. So I need a solution. Updated BIOS too. With update, provided on Lenovo drivers panel for this computer. And I really doesn't want to replace the motherboard. If I've wanted, I've been bought newer CPU.

With my best regards, Alexander.

Some editing. Checked Lenovo webpage. Some strange information about BIOS update from 06 december 2017. It says, BIOS updater check the CPU and install the needed version for Skylake of Kaby Lake. How I'm going to change CPU, if new BIOS is only for Skylake? And I can't find any older BIOS'es on Lenovo webpage. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete