SE

2 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 1 of 2

Make the LENOVO Legion T530 Tower work with photo editing

2020-05-17, 11:52 AM

Hi all. 

In November 2018 I bought the LENOVO Legion T530 Tower (Windows 10 Home 64-bit , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) , RAM 8 GB , 2.8 GHz (bas), 4.0 GHz (turbo) , Intel Core i5-8400, 128 GB SSD + 1000 GB HDD). It works great for working from home and playing a lot of games. But I want to ditch my Apple computers and work on my digital photos with Lightroom/Photoshop and... I guess I need to make this thing faster in some way. Lightroom is slow to display libraries and Photoshop is just... ouch.

I like technology but never invested any time in computers, so please treat me as a newbie.

Anyone here that can explain what I need and why? I would really like to go shopping for new parts and update my precious little computer.

Thanks (and stay safe)!

Options

725 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

79 Signins

4408 Page Views

• Views: 4408
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Make the LENOVO Legion T530 Tower work with photo editing

2020-06-18, 14:55 PM

@ perpettersson wrote:

Hi all. 

In November 2018 I bought the LENOVO Legion T530 Tower (Windows 10 Home 64-bit , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) , RAM 8 GB , 2.8 GHz (bas), 4.0 GHz (turbo) , Intel Core i5-8400, 128 GB SSD + 1000 GB HDD). It works great for working from home and playing a lot of games. But I want to ditch my Apple computers and work on my digital photos with Lightroom/Photoshop and... I guess I need to make this thing faster in some way. Lightroom is slow to display libraries and Photoshop is just... ouch.

I like technology but never invested any time in computers, so please treat me as a newbie.

Anyone here that can explain what I need and why? I would really like to go shopping for new parts and update my precious little computer.

Thanks (and stay safe)!

Hi,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum community!

When it comes to phot shop, besides hardware, make sure the following is configured:

Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows®) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (macOS).

In the Performance panel, make sure that Use Graphics Processor is selected in the Graphics Processor Settings section.

Click Advanced Settings and specify the following options:

Drawing Mode:

• Basic: Uses the least amount of graphics card memory (VRAM) and enables basic graphics processor features
  • Normal: Uses more graphics card memory (VRAM) and enables graphics processor-based color matching, tone mapping, and checkerboard blending
  • Advanced: Provides the benefits of Normal mode and newer graphics processor advances that can result in improved performance

Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation: Enable to improve the interactivity of Warp and Puppet Warp previews

Use OpenCL: Enable to accelerate the new Blur Gallery filters, Smart Sharpen, Select Focus Area, or Image Size with Preserve Details selected (Note: OpenCL is available only on newer graphics cards that support OpenCL v1.1 or later.)

Anti-alias Guides and Paths: Allows the graphics processor to smooth the edges of drawn guides and paths

30-bit Display (Windows® only): Allows Photoshop to display 30-bit data directly to screen on video cards that support it

So that it can use your graphics card to accellerate itself.

Lightroom:

To enable GPU acceleration for image editing, please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Preferences -> Performance
  2. Click the “Use Graphics Processor” dropdown and select “Custom”
  3. Make sure that “Use GPU for Display” is checked
  4. Click on the “Use GPU for image processing (Process Version 5 or higher) checkmark.

Now when it comes to upgrading hardware, we have to consider the following:

To speed up the processes, we need more compute power

To speed up scratch storage, we need faster storage

So i would look for the following:

CPU which have faster turbo and single core speeds (I5-8xxx):

Intel® Core™ i5-8600T ProcessorLaunchedQ2'1863.70 GHz2.30 GHz9 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i5-8600K ProcessorLaunchedQ4'1764.30 GHz3.60 GHz9 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i5-8600 ProcessorLaunchedQ2'1864.30 GHz3.10 GHz9 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i5-8500T ProcessorLaunchedQ2'1863.50 GHz2.10 GHz9 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i5-8500B ProcessorLaunchedQ2'1864.10 GHz3.00 GHz9 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i5-8500 ProcessorLaunchedQ2'1864.10 GHz3.00 GHz9 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i5+8500 Processor
(9M Cache, up to 4.10 GHz) includes Intel® Optane™ Memory
LaunchedQ2'1864.10 GHz3.00 GHz9 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 

On the above table, i would look at the 8600K

When it comes to I7-8xxx

Intel® Core™ i7-8700T ProcessorLaunchedQ2'1864.00 GHz2.40 GHz12 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i7-8700K ProcessorLaunchedQ4'1764.70 GHz3.70 GHz12 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i7-8700B ProcessorLaunchedQ2'1864.60 GHz3.20 GHz12 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 
Intel® Core™ i7-8700 ProcessorLaunchedQ4'1764.60 GHz3.20 GHz12 MB Intel® Smart CacheIntel® UHD Graphics 630 

i would go for the 8700K

This will definately give you a speed boost by selecting either one.

The other option, would be to look for graphics cards, but test with the above settings first to see if you get a better speed up, also consider the storage.

since your desktop supports:

Drive Interface: SATA/M.2 PCIe i would go for a larger M.2 NVMe SSD disk (Please keep in mind you will need to reinstall your computer)

and then make sure the scratch space is set to use the SSD disk

Also, another thing to keep in mind, is the amount of memory, since pictures while being edited are stored in raw format, they will fill up the memory quite alot, and this is also an area you will have to consider.

Your desktop supports up to Max Unbuffered DDR4 SDRAM: 32GB, so you can install 2x16GB modules as maximum in it.

So now your thinking, which should i prioritize:

Memory

storage

cpu

gpu

But this is just my take on it.

I hope this helped you out a bit.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete