Austin, TX

10 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 1 of 9

New Y900-341SZ Started Spontaneously Rebooting

2016-02-17, 18:57 PM

Hi,

I have had a number of Lenove laptops for my businesses over theyears and have found them to be extremely reliable and durable.  So it seemed like a no-brainer to buy a Lenovo Y900 when I was in the market for a new gaming machine.

I have had my machine less than a month, and have been absolutely loving its blazing speed and awesome graphics. But, it has recently ( last 4 days or so) started spontaneously rebooting at seeming random, but frequent intervals.  This is basically rending the machine unusable.

I suspect it's something graphics related because while it is random (can't exactly reproduce), it seems to be happening when there is more graphics activity.  Seems to, but not always.

I tried making a diagnostics USB stick and when the diags run, they say that they do not support the graphics adapter in the system (the Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 that came pre-installed).

Any ideas?

Solved! See the solution
Options

11780 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7065 Signins

741244 Page Views

• Views: 741244
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: New Y900-341SZ Started Spontaneously Rebooting

2016-02-18, 21:40 PM

Hi jstec , 

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

For this random issue on a new pc , best that you try first updating both BIOS and Video driver and observe if same symptom . You may check its version from the support site

Similar issue that new release BIOS for system freeze up on this article . 

Update us how it goes. 

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

6 Posts

02-17-2016

Austin, TX

10 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2016-02-19, 8:08 AM

BIOS updated successfully, video driver, apparently, but system does not stay up long enought to be able to check. Now I am getting a blue screen with WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.  Microsoft help says to try reverting to a previous restore point, but that has not helped.

What now?

Options

11780 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7065 Signins

741244 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2016-02-19, 14:26 PM

Hi jstec , 

Greetings. 

How was it working without the Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 installed and using just the Onboard graphics ?

If previous restore would not work and that even doing factory reset would give the same failure , it only leave probable graphic card issue on its firmware . 

You may call in tech support for recommended service , having them informed of the initial issue and current error code including the steps tried specially updating recent Graphics drivers and BIOS . 

Update us on how it goes. 

Regards

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

02-17-2016

Austin, TX

10 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2016-02-25, 8:02 AM

I have been very busy for the last week and haven't had any time to work on this.  I'm just now able to take a look,  I did have the machine up and running for more than an hour  last night.  This was after it having been completely powered down for several days.

In the working time that I had, I did see that a new BIOS version was released in the past few days, and I successfully installed that.  I also could see that the nvidia 980 driver update that Windows Update wants to install is a higher version number than the one on the Lenovo site.  Since Windows wants to install the latest, that is the one I am using.

After somewhere between 1 and 2 useful hours yesterday, the machine again began giving the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and once it started rebooting, I could barely get through Windows login before the error appeared again.  That lead me to believe it might be a heat issue since it work for a long time and then started repeatedly failing almost immediately.

But today after the machine was again cold from sitting powered down for a day, I removed the nvidia 980 card and then powered it up.  I immediately got the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and was stuck in a loop where the machine would *maybe* get as far as the Windows login screen before throwing the error.

I was eventually able to get to the trouubleshooting screen and am now doing a Windows reset.  We'll see, but I am skeptical because a little online research shows that the WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR is usually caused by a fault wiuthin the CPU itself.  So I'm starting to get the feeling that this machine is simply a bad machine.

What next?  Call tech support?

Options

6 Posts

02-17-2016

Austin, TX

10 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2016-02-25, 10:17 AM

Hmmm, it looks like the Windows Reset is now stuck at the 64% level.

I have watched it reboot several times now, and it always starts with the "Installing Windows" screen showing 64% with "Installing features and drivers" in blue and "Configuring settings" at 0%.  It pretty rapidly progresses to 65% and 2%, then after a while get s to 74% and 28% at which point it reboots and is back to 64% and 0%.  This cycle seems to be stuck in an endless loop, and I am thinking that the reboot is caused not by it being ready to move to the next phase, but rather by the internal error that was previously showing as WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

At this point, I feel that what I have is basically a very expensive door stop.  :smileyfrustrated:

Please advise.

Options

11780 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7065 Signins

741244 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2016-02-25, 14:16 PM

Hi jstec  , 

Greetings. 

We have done what is neccessary and that even the factory reset freeze , best that we have service done here . 

You may call in tech support and have and onsite tech set you up for the repair service. 

English  1-877-4-Lenovo, 1-877-453-6686
Schedule a Callback for faster support  

24 hours a day 7 days/week

Update us how things go. 

Regards

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

01-25-2017

US

1 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 8 of 9

2017-01-25, 20:41 PM

I too bought a new Y900 ideapad gaming laptop and the first one was dead on arrival.  Would not post and Lenovo sent me a new replacement.   The replacement boots but now it randomly reboots daily.

How did Lenovo technical support resolve your reboot issue?

Thanks

Options

6 Posts

02-17-2016

Austin, TX

10 Signins

38 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2017-01-25, 22:36 PM

My issues is almost a year old and was rsoled with a replacement macine, but not by Lenovo.

In a former career life, I was a computer engineer (with time at IBM among others), so I know a few things about troubleshiooting PCs.  From everything I could tell by how/where it was failing, all my discussions with Lenovo Support, and what i could find online, it was apparent that my machine had a bad microprocessor (Intel quality issue).

If I remember right, we got to the point where Lenovo wanted me to send the machine back and they'd either fix it or send a replacement.  Being without my machine for several weeks was not somethingI really wanted to do.

Fortunately for me, I bought my machine through CostCo online, and they were wonderful about replacing it.  I returned it to a local store, they issued me a refund, and I re-ordered the same model from them and had it the next day.  Talk about great customer service!

Coming from my Computer Engineering background, I can tell you that there are *many* reasons why a machine could spontaneously reboot.  Among them are a hardware defect (the root cause of my problem), power supply fluctuations, overheating, too much over-clocking beyond what the chip set can handle, issues with device drivers, etc.  So I'm not sure my experience can directly help you as there are too many variables.  

Good luck with it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete