Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Desktops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 7

Trying to buy a Lenovo Legion i5 computer

2021-02-23, 19:27 PM

I am trying to buy a Lenovo Legion i5 computer and have been given a run around for days. When I am able to view the computer on the website, only 2 choices appear and it's impossible to configure the memory or the hard drive. Also, I can't show the problems on the website as this forum apparently only allows one image to be attached. The sales support is completely useless, repeatedly transferring me to different people forcing me to tell the whole story over and over and then declaring that I'm talking to the wrong person. Is there any way to buy a Legion 5i with a 2TB SSD and 32 GB memory? I don't understand why Lenovo would force me to reconfigure the whole computer, including reinstalling Windows 10 Home just so I can use the 2TB SSD they have been offering with other computers for a whole year now.

Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re:Trying to buy a Lenovo Legion i5 computer

2021-02-23, 19:29 PM

These are the only two choices available. If possible I would also like an i9 processor, something available for past year in their much smaller laptop computer, but there's no option for that in this giant tower case.

Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-02-23, 19:36 PM

One other thing is the Windows 10 Pro offering changes the graphics card to RTX 2070, not the RTX 3070, something many people will miss when the click the link to see the RTX 3070 offerings Lenovo advertises on other webpages. So basically we're given only one choice of configuration with the RTX 3070 card with no information on if the lower capacity memory cards have to be removed to get the memory people need or how to use a 2 TB SSD as the primary drive. I've never seen a computer manufacturer make things so difficult to purchase their computers. The changes desired, to the hard drive and memory, are so trivial that it defies logic as to why this is prohibited.

Options

6199 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28800 Signins

1649033 Page Views

• Views: 1649033
  • Message 4 of 7

2021-02-23, 20:14 PM

@ LenovoBuyer1 wrote:

I am trying to buy a Lenovo Legion i5 computer and have been given a run around for days. When I am able to view the computer on the website, only 2 choices appear and it' impossible to configure the memory or the hard drive. Also, I can' show the problems on the website as this forum apparently only allows one image to be attached. The sales support is completely useless, repeatedly transferring me to different people forcing me to tell the whole story over and over and then declaring that I' talking to the wrong person. Is there any way to buy a Legion 5i with a 2TB SSD and 32 GB memory? I don' understand why Lenovo would force me to reconfigure the whole computer, including reinstalling Windows 10 Home just so I can use the 2TB SSD they have been offering with other computers for a whole year now.

Welcome to the community.

Sorry you are having some dissatisfaction.

It is not rare for OEMs to offer limited/preconfigured systems under certain circumstances. In the case of this particular gaming desktop machine, limitations could be the result of sub-component availability, or due to compatibility issues with other components.

Typically, in my 22+ year experience with Lenovo machines, and IBM beforehand, it is the corporate/commercial machines like Think products (vs consumer machines ie Idea products) that offer system configurability on the ordering website. Even then, often, at initial product release, there is limited or no option for CTO (configured to order).

In your specific case, if the Legion desktop is your choice, you may need to get it with the dGPU you need and then upgrade to Win10Pro on your own, and then also get your desired 2TB SSD. Doing these things yourself would be similar to configuring a system through the ordering system, and it might actually be more economical. One thing that might not be as easy, though, is upgrading to a i9 CPU.

Bottom line is that, in time, there may be future options for custom system configuration on the website, but if you need/want the system now, some (re)configuration may be required on your part. There are plenty of discussions in this community, across all product lines, of folks doing so. I'm confident that members would be able to offer advice if you choose this path.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

4 Posts

02-23-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2021-02-24, 21:03 PM

After a whole day I still don't have an answer as to why I can't buy the computer I need. While the configuration seems to come close in the Legion 7i, that computer has a giant case that will take up a lot of space under the desk. The solution proposed by NateS really doesn't make sense. The Legion 5i is not new, there's no reason to limit its configuration with regards to memory or SS hard drives, it is not more economical to transfer everything over to a different hard drive as that would be extremely time consuming and Lenovo could claim that the entire warranty is invalidated because I changed the configuration and refuse to support their software and Windows on a different hard drive. In addition, I don't need Win10Pro, I just noticed that if someone chooses Win10Pro a significantly slower and cheaper video card is provided with only one number changed in the video card name. It seems deceitful on Lenovo's part. So the question remains, can I buy Lenovo gaming desktop computer in what is a very unremarkable configuration, 32 GB ram and a 2 TB SSD?  I have to note that nobody from Lenovo contacted me offering to make a sale.

Options

10 Posts

07-14-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 6 of 7

2021-02-27, 17:52 PM

dont buy it, lenovo laptops are terrible, they run pretty hot, i have a legion Y740 at the beggining you had access to activate the fans at max speed, then they add a bios patch that cancel the control of the user over the fans, and now the add another "FIX" that makes impossible to undervolt your cpu, think about it. maybe in a year you will be here like me trying to find a solution for the problem created by this company

Options

10 Posts

07-14-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

107 Page Views

• Views: 107
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-02-27, 17:54 PM

dont buy it, lenovo laptops are terrible, they run pretty hot, i have a legion Y740 at the beggining you had access to activate the fans at max speed, then they add a bios patch that cancel the control of the user over the fans, and now the add another "FIX" that makes impossible to undervolt your cpu, think about it. maybe in a year you will be here like me trying to find a solution for the problem created by this company

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms