07-20-2019 01:51 PM
I bought the Lenovo Y700-34ISH awhile ago mainly for gaming. I got it an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 and I use the PC connected to a 4k TV.
I started to stream a couple of monts ago and I have found it has been lacking in performance. I also play strategy games and they take forever to load.
So instead of investing in a new PC I decided to look at my upgrading options.
From my research I realized I can:
1. Upgrade from my current i5-6400 to an i7-6700 - my understanding is that I will benefit from the i7 multi-cores while streaming.
2. Grow from 16GB to 32GB altough I don't quite know if I will benefit from this at all.
3. New 1TB internal SSD Drive - this will probably help with my load times since Civ 6 ans Stellaris are taking forever to load.
4. Upgrade my GPU but I believe the 1070 is not the bottleneck.
My questions are:
1. The i5 to i7 uprgade is around e350, which I find really expensive considering is a 4 year old proccesor I believe. Is it worth it?
2. I have read in other posts the best proccesor I can get for my current motherboard is an i7-6700, is this correct?
3. The extra 16GB look quite cheap in comparison to the CPU upgrade, but I am not sure if I am even using the full 16GB I currently have.
4. Do I have to buy two 8GB modules or do I have to replace the current 16GB I have and get a whole new 32GB? I could swear I read somewhere there where 4 slots in the machine but Im so new to this that I wanted to know if I might be missing something else.
5. SSD Drive - This is probably a no brainer since it can go with me if I ever decide to change the whole PC. My question here is what is the currently sweet spot for the size. Maybe a 2TB is just a few bucks more expensive and so on. I have seen 1TB internal SSDs for around e100 and then they grow exponentially pricier.
Finally, these are the parts I have in mind just to double check they work with my Y700/34ISH
1. Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I76700 Desktop Processor (link to newegg in Germany)
2. G.SKILL Aegis 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (PC4 22400) Intel Z170 Platform Memory Kit Model F4-2... (link to newegg in Germany)
3. SSD I have no idea yet, I believe they all connect the same way to the motherboard and besides the size everything else is standard?
Thank you all for all your help !