10-19-2020

CA

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 2

Upgrading Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 cube Wifi card

2020-10-19, 1:20 AM

As the title says, I have a Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 that I would like to upgrade its wifi card. Since the board type is a mini_itx, I'm not sure how to do this, and which wireless card I should buy. I want something better than the Killer Wifi e2400 that it uses, in my current room I can't use ethernet because the landlord use google nest, and I'm having troubles with the signals because the router is on another floor.

Thanks in advance.

Options

1279 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

147 Signins

6831 Page Views

• Views: 6831
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Upgrading Lenovo Ideacentre Y710 cube Wifi card

2020-10-19, 9:11 AM

Hello AmazonPrime,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Here is the the official guide on getting OEM(Original Equipment Manufacturer) parts:

How to Look Up and Purchase Accessories, Upgrades, and FRU/CRU Replacement Parts

Using your serial number in the parts lookup can get you the OEM whitelisted part number and other compatible substitutes if available.

For Replacement Part pricing and availability

Here's some information that could come in handy:

Current Wifi Card is:

M.2 Card, Killer™ Wireless-AC 1535 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth combo adapter, 2x2

• Running : 802.11ac Network Protocol,  Bluetooth 4.0, with a dual band frequency receiving antenna (2 transmitting, 2 receiving)

When looking for upgrades or replacements to better Wifi Cards, make sure you make yourself acquainted with the network protocols and their supported settings here

I'd make especially note of the Frequency, Bandwidth, Stream Data rate and Range they support.

Frequency = What network frequency they're able to use. Wifi has two, the 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

• 2.4GHz (slower, but longer range) , the 2.4ghz band is also a very crowded bandwidth, used by everything from garage openers to microwaves and lots of other stuff.
  • 5GHz (faster, but shorter range). is less crowded, depending on where you live, but because of the higher frequency is not able to penetrate walls as easy as the 2.4ghz.

Bandwidth = The channel bandwidth of a wireless signal determines that signal's data rate. The higher the channel bandwidth, the faster the connection.  Normally you'd use the 20mhz range in the 2.4ghz network frequency and 40mhz or more in the 5ghz network frequency.

Stream Data rate = How much mbit/s you might be (It's an aprox up to calculation) able to see on on the Network protocol, determined by the bandwidth used and supported by the Network Protocol.

(ex: 3466 Mbit/s = 433.25 MB/s)

Range = Well, just that, range, determined by the Network Frequency it's on (2.4ghz or 5ghz).

So when you are looking at Wifi Cards, check the Network protocol it's on (802.11xx etc) then consult the chart.  Also make note of the antennas and bluetooth version. 4.0 isn't bad, but we do have 5.0 becoming widespread atm.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete