05-29-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

Windows 10 Home for reinstall

2020-05-29, 3:13 AM

I have had this Y710 cube for a little less 3 years.  Just got the "SSD at risk" message.  I understand it's out of warranty, so I don't have problems buying a new SSD and putting it in by myself.  But is there any way to get the OEM Windows 10 or at least the license code that came with this computer, so I don't have to pay for it again?

Solved! See the solution
Options

337 Posts

11-26-2019

HK

138 Signins

2803 Page Views

• Views: 2803
  • Message 2 of 4

Windows 10 Home for reinstall

2020-05-29, 4:43 AM
For modern Lenovo products, the Windows license is stored in the BIOS. I would advise you to contact the support to verify it. On the other hand, major SSD manufacturers usually provide data migration software which allows you to clone the entire OS to a new SSD

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1015 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

122 Signins

5651 Page Views

• Views: 5651
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Windows 10 Home for reinstall

2020-05-29, 12:23 PM

@ defective_ssd wrote:

I have had this Y710 cube for a little less 3 years.  Just got the "SSD at risk" message.  I understand it's out of warranty, so I don't have problems buying a new SSD and putting it in by myself.  But is there any way to get the OEM Windows 10 or at least the license code that came with this computer, so I don't have to pay for it again?

Hi there Defective_ssd.

Welcome to the Community Forums.

You should be able to fetch the license key by running this command through Command Prompt/Powershell : 

In PowerShell/CMD(admin) type the following :

"wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey"

Without the quotation marks.

There is also a Windows Registry Method on how to do it, but for simplicity I will provide the link for it here

https://www.howtogeek.com/660517/how-to-find-your-windows-10-product-key-using-the-command-prompt/

Good luck! 

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

05-29-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:Windows 10 Home for reinstall

2020-05-29, 13:46 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. I was able to retrieve the key. I'll try the clone utility first and fall back to reinstall if that doesn't work out.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete