Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
faatech
Token Ring
Views: 946
Message 1 of 3

Y700-34ISH - BSOD Stop Code 0x00000139

I have a Y700-34ISH Desktop (ideacentre). When I install a component into one of the USB ports (both 2.0 & 3.0) I get a BSOD with a stop code of 0x00000139 (Kernel_Security_Check_Failure). The component can be a thumb drive, an external hard drive, a card reader or a camera. I have used all of these exact same components for over a year now without any problems. It doesn't do it everytime, but when it does, the computer will reboot and the system comes back normal (components are useable). Everytime I try to do a Backup, the same thing happens (BSOD, then system returns to normal), but the backup program never runs. I've tried updating all my drivers. Verified no viruses (Norton's). The only new hardware I've added was a printer, but that was 6 months ago. I've done a hardware scan with Lonovo Solutions Center. No probem found. I even did a sytem Reset then a Restore to a configuration about a month old. No luck! Any ideas would be grately appreciated!

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 914
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y700-34ISH - BSOD Stop Code 0x00000139

When the BOSID occurs, Windows should be writing memory .dmp files that records what devices were loaded, and often can point to the root cause.    Depending on what version of Windows you are running and how it is configured, the dump file(s) will be located in C:\Windows\Memory.dmp (full memory dump)  or C:\Windows\Minidump\<timedatestamp>.dmp (minidump).    The minidumps are small enough that you can zip them up and attach to a reply in this forum, while the full memory dumps would have to be zipped up and uploaded to dropbox or some other online site, so they can be downloaded and reviewed.

How to configure the type of memory dump created by Windows

https://www.howtogeek.com/196672/windows-memory-dumps-what-exactly-are-they-for/

The minidumps can also be reviewed by yourself by uploading them to http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze.

Another thing you can try is to check for, and repair) corrupted Windows System Files using the built in System File Check (SFC) utility by following the steps below.

Run a System File Check scan  (this will check for corrupt Windows System Files).

• Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin) or Windows PowerShell(Admin) depending on your windows version and settings.
  • Type:  sfc /scannow   and press Enter
  • Let the disk check run (it could take 30 minutes or more)

At the end of the SFC scan, it will report that it either found no errors, found errors but fixed them all, or found errors but was not able to fix all of them.     If  it was unable to fix all of them, then you would need to run the DISM utility to update the local Windows Component Store  and then re-run the SFC Scan again to repair the files.

Run DISM

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet, and close all programs
  • Right Click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • Type:  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  and press Enter 

Note:   After running the DISM utility successfully, you must run the System File Checker again to fix any corrupted system files left unrepaired earlier using the new files retrieved using DISM.

Good Luck,

faatech
Token Ring
Views: 848
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y700-34ISH - BSOD Stop Code 0x00000139

Thank you for your reply! I should have mentioned I am running Windows 10. I looked at the two newest Minidumps and didn't see anything that would direct me to a suspect driver or device. I ran a System File Check scan and there were no errors found. Just a heads up for anyone reading this thread, there is a space between the c and / of sfc /scannow. I originally didn't notice that. After installing the thumb drive and card reader into another computer without any problems, I ruled out hardware as the problem. Since my computer was still under warranty, I called Lenovo Tech Support. The hardware Tech agreed with me that it wasn't a hardware issue. He suspected I was going to have to Reset (reinstall) Windows 10. Also, he suspected my System Image (Backup) was corrupted. After twice doing a Reset and System Image Recovery, I again agreed with his assessment and did a Reset. After a week of reintalling all my software (the reason for the delay in my reply), the computer is operating normally. Again for anyone reading this thread, when you do a Windows 10 Reset, choose the "Remove everything" option. I chose the "Keep my files" option and have had some issues reinstalling some of my software and drivers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors