PL

48 Signins

473 Page Views

• Views: 473
  • Message 1 of 3

Y710 further upgrades thoughts

2019-06-13, 21:31 PM

Hi there fellow members!

It's been some time since I last posted here but I'm still rocking the amazing cube as one of my main builds. In the meantime I have upgraded to 32GB of RAM, two 2TB SSDs and Asus gtx 1080 ti Turbo edition. Everything has been running flawlessly so far and I've been playing all  the latest aaa games without a hitch. Yet since I game mainly on my 40-inch 4k monitor (I have an ultrawide 2560x1080 hooked up to cube as  well for some racing games) there has come a time to move on to the rtx generation of nvidia cards to be able to max out everything at that resolution and hopefully make use of ray tracing technology.

So to cut to the chase I've decided to ruin my budget and purchase a rtx 2080 ti card and cram it into my trustworthy cube. And here comes my puzzle. I know it is a very power-hungry and hot card and from what I've read it either matches or exceeds, some sources say, the heat and power draw of a gtx 1080 ti which I currently use. So I guess I will have to upgrade the psu, too as I've probably been already pushing its limits. So that I'm aware of, I'll get hold of some nice psu to fit into the cube. However, I'm in two minds as to what kind of a rtx 2080 ti card should I go for. So far all my cards in the cube have been blower cooling style ones as I thought they provide the most adequate cooling for such a micro atx case. I'm tempted, however, to try an open air dual fan solution with rtx 2080 ti as even reference nvidia one is no longer a blower style. Maybe blower solution according to nvidia is not efficient enough anymore... I have found some blower rtx 2080 tis from Asus, Gigabyte, PNY and Zotac, though. So I don't really know. I'm afraid they could potentially overheat and throttle if I were to go the safe way and choose one, yet on the other hand if I were to buy an open air dual fan or even triple fan card, which according to reviews and YouTube videos I saw run cool and silent, the cube cramped space could potentially impede the airflow and cause the whole system to overheat  as the hot air would/could? be pumped into the case and not pushed out of the rear exhaust as it is the case with the blowers. I'm really perplexed now. That's why I'm looking for your insight on that matter.

I wonder if it might be the case that since in the cube the graphics card is installed upside down the air could possibly escape through the vents and perforation in the top cover... but it is a pure conjecture on my part. Maybe someone on the forum has tried running an open air cooling style card in the cube and could share their experiences. 

One more thing that also came to my mind is a possibility of installing a small AIO water cooling solution on the cpu to further improve airflow. Something like Corsair H80i or that kind of thing. I wonder if that could be mounted on the small factor motherboard of the Cube. Has anyone tried that? I apologise for a lengthy post but I'm really hell bent on that upgrade as I really love the Cube. I think its one of the best designs from Lenovo to this day and I just won't part with it:-) 

Take care everyone! 

Options

1 Posts

07-06-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Y710 further upgrades thoughts

2020-07-06, 6:55 AM
I’m doing the exact same thing. I just order a RTX 2080 ti blower for my cine.. How did you manage the PSU upgrade? Did a modular psu fit right in with the wiring?
Options

32 Posts

07-08-2017

PL

48 Signins

473 Page Views

• Views: 473
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Y710 further upgrades thoughts

2020-07-06, 8:14 AM
This is the PSU I chose : Corsair Sf750 750w. You can check out my other posts with pictures to see how I managed the cables. Basically this is a small factor PSU and the wires took some careful rerouting but other than that no problem. Good luck with your upgrade. My machine is still rocking and plays smoothly everything I throw at it. Recently I've added vr headset to my setup and I've been using HP Reverb with 2160*2160 per eye resolution with my Cube without any hitch.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete