UK

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 13

Y900 - 34ISZ freeze

2016-03-25, 20:42 PM

Hi guys,

bought this computer less than 4 weeks ago and it is freezong on me (screens turning grey and unable to do anything) so i am having to hold power button down to reset.

i have only plugged peripherals in so its stock.

any help? im keeping it as up to date as i can throught the help centre (which tells me its all fine)

thanks

Options

3836 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4368 Signins

49262 Page Views

• Views: 49262
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: Y900 - 34ISZ freeze

2016-03-26, 0:17 AM

I would do the typical things if you have not already

• Run a full virus scan.  If you do not have one, use Malwarebytes Free scanner from:  https://www.malwarebytes.org/trial/
  • Run Checkdisk   (Right Click on Start, select Command Prompt(Admin), type chkdsk c: and press enter.  If errors are reported repeat, but this time type chkdks c: /f and reboot
  • From the same Command Prompt(Admin), type SFC /scannow and let it run till completes.   (This will check for System File corruption and repair them if found)
  • If the SFC scan finds errors but cannot repair them all, from the same Command Prompt(Admin), type the following: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Note: Once DISM completes, you must re-run the SFC scan again to fix remaining errors.
  • Update all the Windows device drivers to the latest
  • Run Windows  Update to make sure you are up to date: Start / Settings / Update and Security

If you have the nVidia GeForce GTX 980 4 GB, make sure you have the latest 359.14  3/15/2016  driver from Lenovo installed, and if not, update it from here.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/y-series/y900-34isz?c=1&beta=false

Good Luck  

Options

3 Posts

03-25-2016

UK

4 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 3 of 13

2016-03-26, 16:05 PM

Hi, done all that except the drivers as i use NVIDIA GeForce Experience to keep them up to date. on 364.51 with them. nothing found on any of the scans.

Options

2442 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3391 Signins

41995 Page Views

• Views: 41995
  • Message 4 of 13

2016-03-27, 0:49 AM

Does it freeze and shut down the computer? If so, try to perform a system reset or system restore

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

3836 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4368 Signins

49262 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2016-03-27, 2:01 AM

Since it is only 4 weeks old, I would call support and open a support ticket before your 30 day return options expires just in case.  

Try this also,

Uninstall all nVidia softare from Programs and Features

Then, open Device manager (right click on start and select Device Manager), double left click on display Adapters to open, right click on your nVidia card, select Properties, then click uninstall.    Be sure to check the box to  "delete driver software for this device or it will use the same on already installed.

Once complete, reboot and Windows should re-detect your nVidia card and reinstall the nVidia driver fresh.   Perhaps it has become corrupted, and/or is unstable, or v364.51 is unstable.    In my experience, I do not use Nvidia Experience, and use the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach and only update if needed....Sometimes being on the bleeding edge is painful..

Alternately you can select Rollback Driver from the Drivers tab if available, but I would start clean. 

If that does not work, then I would let Lenovo either fix the problem, or replace them system.      

Options

10 Posts

07-07-2016

US

32 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 6 of 13

2016-07-07, 14:20 PM

I have the same computer.  Mine is the Y900 DIY.  Yesterday was the first day I set it up and it must have frozen 5 times!!  So far what I have done is to upgrade to the latest BIOS and installed the latest driver for the integrated graphics, both from the Lenovo Support site.  My graphics card failed the quick test in Lenovo Solution Center, the 2nd one which is the Mathematical Operations Test.  That was after the BIOS update and before the graphics driver update.  So far it has not failed this test after the graphics driver update and the computer has not frozen up yet either.  I have had momentary alerts pop up in the lower right corner that the graphics card had stopped responding but has recovered, or something to that effect, and it is viewable in Event Viewer under System.

I'll keep you posted.

Options

10 Posts

07-07-2016

US

32 Signins

132 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2016-07-08, 17:59 PM

Well today when it came out of sleep mode this morning, it did not recognize the 2nd video display.  There had also been messages in event viewer a couple hours prior while in sleep mode that the virtual memory capacity (pagefile) had been exceeded.  I put it into sleep mode with two browsers open: Internet Explorer and Edge, both with several tabs open.  But nevertheless this is not acceptable.  It was resolved by a system restart but I'm wondering if this is still indicative of a problem with the onboard graphics chip.

Options

3836 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4368 Signins

49262 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2016-07-08, 20:40 PM

Unless you are short of disk space, which would limit the page file size, the page file should be increased automatically as needed by Windows by default.    You should check your Virtual Memory (paging file) setting for Windows just to make sure it is set to the recommended setting.

1. Right Click on Start and select System, or open System from within the Windows Control Panel
  2. From the System Window, select Advanced System Settings from the left pane
  3. From the System Properties window, select Settings under the Performance Section
  4. From the Performance Options window, select the Advanced Tab
  5. Click change under the virtual Memory section and ensure the box to Automatically manage paging file size for all drives is checked.

In the old days it was common to set the paging file manually to a static value (typically 2x your physical RAM) but with the speed of modern hard drives, it is usually better to just let Windows handle it.

Make sure you have sufficient free space on your hard drive, which you probably do since it is new, but remember also that when you put the system to sleep, by default it will go into what is known as Hybrid Sleep, which means basically that it will both hibernate and sleep simultaneously, so some hard disk space will be used to store the hyberfil.sys file too. 

Good Luck,

Options

10 Posts

07-07-2016

US

32 Signins

132 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2016-07-08, 20:57 PM

Thank you.  I checked it and "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"  IS checked.  But the current page file is apparently only 1408MB.  I suppose that may have not been enough for hybrid sleep with lots of tabs open?  Dunno.  This is the Y900 DIY, so it only has 4GB of ram currently.  I plan to jack that up to at least 32GB when I get around to it.  1408 MB seems kind of low, with mor than 230 GB remaining on the SSD hard drive.  Isn't SSD as fast as memory anyway?

Maybe I should manually set the page file to something like 8GB?

Options

3836 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4368 Signins

49262 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2016-07-08, 21:10 PM

Windows by default periodically checks the status of the video adapter, and if it does not get a reply withing 2 seconds (by default) it resets the graphics card and pops the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message, which can be annoying.   This Timeout Detection & Recovery (TDR) process send alerts typically only when the system is under heavy load, such as during a game or other graphic intensive operations, but the wait timeout can be modified via the registry by adding the registry key shown below, which is set to double it to 4 seconds.  

You may want play around with the number a bit, to see what works best for you, but just note that the Dword value itself cannot exceed 8 characters  (e.g. to set it to 10, the value would be dword:00000010 )

You can create the key and enter the Dword value manually, copy the text below into Notepad, give it a name with a .reg extension, and import the file, or use the one I created that is attached which is set to 4..    

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers]
"TdrDelay"=dword:00000004

Note:  The attached file has a .txt extension appended to the filename to prevent accidental importing before you have a chance to view, verify or edit the contents, so if you choose to import it, you will need to first remove the .txt from the filename.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete