Options

17 Posts

07-04-2008

United States

30 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 1 of 4

Y900 DIY: Video issues that appear to be caused by integrated GPU when using dedicated GPU

2016-07-07, 3:16 AM

The Lenovo IdeaCentre Y900 DIY (P/N: 90DD000VUT) comes with no dedicated GPU by default, but does include an integrated GPU, which is a Intel HD Graphics 530 (as it is part of the included Intel Core i7-6700K).

I used an older video card, a AMD Radeon HD 7950, which worked completely fine in its previous machine and with none of the following issues. However, said machine also lacked a integrated video card.

When using the dedicated video card, I have the following issues:

1. Unable to access Sleep option.

Only Hibernate, Shut Down, and Restart are available. powercfg -a reports that the graphics component has disabled this standby option. 

2. Poor performance for some 3D accelerated tasks, such as rendering Task View.

Bringing up Task View (Windows 10's version of Expose, accessed by pressing Windows+Tab) is choppy and not smooth.

3. Constant flicking when using f.lux

f.lux  causes constant flicking when changing color temperatures.

4. Windows reports that a non-existent display is connected, which is listed as a Generic Non-PnP Monitor.

This monitor has actual dimensions and exists for rendering and focus reasons (that is, windows can be moved to it, the cursor can travel to it, etc.), but does not exist physically and none of its contents may be physically seen.

Regarding point 4, said monitor can be disconnected via Windows' DIsplay Settings. This prevents applications from being rendered there (and thus becoming invisible) and resolves points 2 and 3 as well. This would be a sufficient resolution to this issue in of itself. However, said monitor will reconnect each and every time the computer's boot state is changed, either from shut down or Hibernate. This is incredibly annoying, to say the least.

Items I have already done to troubleshoot are:

-Update integrated video card driver.

Downloading the Intel HD driver from Lenovo and attempting to install it actually produces a message statingthat I do not meet the minimum requirements to install the driver. I manually installed the current driver (15.40.10.64.4300) through Device Manager. The previous driver version was 10.18.15.4279. This did not resolve the issue.

-Update dedicated video card driver.

The 7950 is running the latest AMD drivers, which are 16.6.2.

Any assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated! Again, the issue can be fully resolved by disconnecting the phantom display in the settings for such, but this must be done every time I interact with the machine and is extremely annoying. 

Thank you so much for reading!

---
X60T
Options

2444 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3396 Signins

42025 Page Views

• Views: 42025
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Y900 DIY: Video issues that appear to be caused by integrated GPU when using dedicated GPU

2016-07-09, 2:40 AM

Have you tried disabling the integrated graphic drivers? It might be conflicting with the dedicated graphics you have in there. 

Press "Windows-R" to open the "Run" tool, type "devmgmt.msc" into the box and then click "OK." Double-click the "Display Adapters" category in the Device Manager window to display its contents. Right-click the graphics device labeled "Onboard" or "Integrated" and select "Disable."

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

17 Posts

07-04-2008

United States

30 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

Re: Y900 DIY: Video issues that appear to be caused by integrated GPU when using dedicated GPU

2016-07-09, 19:55 PM

wrote:

Have you tried disabling the integrated graphic drivers?

Yes. The driver is actually not engaged in Device Manager and cannot be disabled. 

For my next troubleshooting step, I will reformat the drive and reinstall Windows.

---
X60T
Options

17 Posts

07-04-2008

United States

30 Signins

156 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2016-07-10, 4:04 AM

wrote:

Have you tried disabling the integrated graphic drivers?

This problem may be indicative of a motherboard firmware issue, actually!

I cannot access the BIOS if the dedicated video card is installed. The dedicated video card must be physically removed before I can see the BIOS (using the integrated video's display out). If the dedicated video card is installed, no display port on either the dedicated or integrated card will show the BIOS.

Notably, this issue did not exist with the former motherboard.

---
X60T
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete