Options

6 Posts

07-18-2016

US

10 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 1 of 7

Y900 DIY model CPU a bit loud? Any suggestion of replacement?

2016-07-25, 16:44 PM

I found the CPU fan is a bit loud in my opinion, I like a more quiet one. Any recommendation of a quiet CPU fan compatible with this machine?

Solved! See the solution
Options

2442 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3392 Signins

42000 Page Views

• Views: 42000
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Y900 DIY model CPU a bit loud? Any suggestion of replacement?

2016-08-01, 1:36 AM

The Lenovo Y900 gaming series uses industry standard parts. The socket for your computer is LGA1151- so you'll need to find a fan that fits that socket. If you're looking for something really silent, consider a water cooled system. The Y900 allows for water cooling from the top. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

6 Posts

07-18-2016

US

10 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 3 of 7

2016-08-02, 23:01 PM

Solution:  No need to change parts!

Go to BIOS, change the system fan setting from SmartAuto to Manual, set minimum PWM to 10%, the world will be quiet again.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2442 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3392 Signins

42000 Page Views

• Views: 42000
  • Message 4 of 7

2016-08-04, 2:21 AM

Great! Feel free to mark this thread as solved, so other users will know how to solve issues similar to yours.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Options

17 Posts

07-04-2008

United States

30 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 5 of 7

2016-08-11, 17:52 PM

There are three possible solutions to this. 

1: Adjust the fan curve. This is what you did. This causes the fan to engage less and thus produce less noise. However, this may cause your CPU temperature to rise (the default curve is the way it is for a reason!). Make sure to benchmark after adjusting your fan settings to ensure that the resulting temperatures are acceptable. RealBench can be used to stress the CPU while you monitor the temperature with HWMonitorThis fix is free, but could reduce performance or CPU life time.

2: Change the CPU fan. The mount on the default heatsink is a standard 120 mm mount and thus you can replace it with any 120 mm fan of your choice (or even a 140 mm with a 120 mm mount like this Noctua). A more premium fan could be better at cooling while also being quieter. Larger fans, like a round 140 mm, are quieter than smaller fans (assuming equal quality) while pushing the same amount of air by merit of being able to do so at a lower RPM.

Note: if you did this, it would free the CPU fan for some other purpose. The Y900DIY comes with three empty fan mounts and you could relocate the fan to one of these locations. However, the fan would then make noise, which you find undesirable.

3: Upgrade to a different cooler. You could replace the stock cooler with a more effective cooling solution that is thus quieter. Higher end air coolers (like this Noctua) can use multiple fans and thus the total fan speed may be lower while maintaining temperatures. Alternatively, liquid coolers (like this Corsair) can use the same fans while being much quieter and/or cooler due to the superior cooling offered by liquid. Coolers tend to come with their own fans and thus your current fans could be re-used elsewhere.

I highly advise a liquid cooler! The upfront cost is high (that unit linked is $100), but they are extremely effective: you will either have reduced temperatures or reduced noise and possibly both, depending on how aggressively you overclock.

Again, reducing your fan speeds will increase your temperatures and this will reduce the life span of your CPU!

If you really want to, you can also install a liquid cooler on your graphics card, thus further reducing noise!

---
X60T
Options

9 Posts

08-23-2016

GB

11 Signins

289 Page Views

• Views: 289
  • Message 6 of 7

2016-08-27, 20:24 PM

Hi

I noticed the same problem. However when I removed the cpu fan without disconnecting it from the motherboard, when i ran it.it was silent. As soon as I fixed it to the motherboard the droning came back. This meant the sound was due to vibration somewhere on the case. With my particular computer it turned out to be mainly caused by vibration in the plastic front panel and the plastic filter behind it. I used small pieces of bluetack to cushion the adjacent plastic pieces. Surprisingly it worked.

Options

105 Posts

01-24-2017

US

330 Signins

1810 Page Views

• Views: 1810
  • Message 7 of 7

2017-01-24, 14:15 PM

Agree with what HuaZ said. Runs super quiet and still stays plenty cool even under load.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete