Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 1,365
Message 21 of 39

Re: Y900: M.2 SSD, not showing up in BIOS, but visible in Win 10

Glad I could help. The guy who posted this thread originally helped me a lot, and like you, this was the only solid info I could find on the web. Congrats on grabbing the 960 Pro, that's about as good as it gets. I opted to save some money and give up a little speed. Very happy so far with the MyDigitalSSD BPX 480. It is crazy fast, 480gb of space, and I got it for $187 shipped after Newegg did me a solid on a price match.

Even if CrystalDiskInfo hadn't confirmed it, the benchmark speeds I am getting alone would have confirmed this drive is operating at PCIE 3.0x4, 4 lanes. I am adding the CrystalDiskMark Zero Fill run and the ATTO stock run benches below. Best of luck with your install and temps.

CDM BPX 480 M.2 SSD Zero Fill Run.PNG

ATTO BPX 480 M.2 SD.PNG

wb9uze
Punch Card
Views: 1,272
Message 22 of 39

Finally got the Samsung 960 M.2 and installed it on the Y900 mainboard. Booted up on one of the 2 Sandisk Extreme Pro 480 SSD's I was using. System seen the 960 right away. Did a Macrium clone to the 960, shut the system down, pulled power off the Sandisk drives and booted right up on the Samsung 960.  Ran some Crystal Benchmark 5.2.1 64 bit disk tests and got some really nice stat's far above the Sandisk Extreme Pro 480's and they are very fast.  Only problem I had cloning was the Samsung 960 was a 512gb drive and the Sandisk Pro's are 480gb so I lost a little bit of space but I'll never need it I'm sure. As it is now I pulled one of the 480's and powered up the other one which is now "E" drive as a backup that I will clone about every week from the Samsung M.2. Temp's on the Samsung 960 are real good. I guess those 2 Noctua 120mm fans I installed in front are doing well.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,261
Message 23 of 39

@wb9uze wrote:

Temp's on the Samsung 960 are real good. I guess those 2 Noctua 120mm fans I installed in front are doing well.  

What temps are you seeing?   Can you give us details about the fans and the installation.  

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
wb9uze
Punch Card
Views: 1,254
Message 24 of 39

JUST RAN CRYSTAL STATS AND GOT A TON OF INFO BUT HERE IS WHAT U WANTED.

SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 -512.1GB PCIE 3.0X4 IS RUNNING AT 26C TO 27C.

SANDISK XTREME PRO-480.1GB IS RUNNING 23C.  

THE SANDISK DRIVE IS ABOUT 3-4 INCHES AWAY FROM THE LOWER FRONT PANEL FAN WHEREAS

THE SAMSUNG M.2 IS ON THE MAINBOARD AND PROB GETS AIR FROM BOTH FRONT FANS

(120MM NOCTUA NF-S12A PWM FANS (120MMX120MMX25MM) WHICH SNAPPED RIGHT INTO THE FRONT PANEL AND FIT LIKE A GLOVE. THEY ALSO COME WITH ANY CABLE U COULD POSSIBLY NEED INCLUDING EXTENSION CABLE + OTHERS.)

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,237
Message 25 of 39

Good info, thanks. 

Edit:  and props for using Noctua, best fans on the market. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
wb9uze
Punch Card
Views: 1,222
Message 26 of 39

FOLLOWUP-CRYSTAL DISK INFO 7.0.5

HAVE HAD SYSTEM RUNNING FOR ABOUT 1.5 HOURS NOW WITH STEADY TEMP OF 29C ON SAMSUNG 960 PRO 512GB M.2 MOUNTED ON Y900 MAINBOARD.

fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 1,194
Message 27 of 39

Great Temps man, stellar in fact. Congratulations! Are you using the stock fan profile, or have you altered that in the BIOS?

I cannot seem to make my fans go any faster no matter what I do in the manual BIOS fan Settings unless I choose MAX Fan, and that is extremely loud.

I did add another PWM 120mm Fan in the lower fan slot, and removed the stock SSD and moved the 2 TB storage drive into the lowest HDD Slot to give the best path for airflow, but still see 70c + when running multiple programs (3-5 virsu scans) at same time. Best I see in relatively cool room is 57c at complete rest a while after boot up. I need to speed up these fans for better cooling.

Can someone explain to me how to make the PWM Manual Settings in the BIOS cause my fans to run faster at lower overall temps without running wide open? Thanks for any help.

fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 1,184
Message 28 of 39

OK, got frustrated with myself and spent a bit of time messing with Manual Fan Control through the BIOS. The solution was lowering Minimum PWM and all the Phase 1.PWM settings far lower than I had imagined would be necessary to get fan speed up a bit. In effect I went from System Fan speeds of roughly 667 rpm up to about 867 rpm. This is still acceptably quiet for my needs, and helps drop the temps on my M.2 BPX480 as low as 52c at idle in a 69f room, and improves temps under load by about 5-6 degrees as well.  This is a decent start.

I have been looking at alphacool M.2 2280mm heat spreaders. Only holdbacks at the moment are checking to see if my M.2 slot will have sufficient clearance to use the alphacool since the BPX has chips on both sides and therefore needs the heatsinks installed on both sides. Other is that removing the MyDigitalSSD label may void my warranty. I need to check on this with the company and make sure. Not willing to dump a 5r year warranty out the window right at the beginning of ownership.

wb9uze
Punch Card
Views: 1,177
Message 29 of 39

I just installed the fans with a short wire with a resistor I think that lets it run at a slower steady speed.  Thought I'd try that first. Other than that I did nothing but install them. As I recall the fans can run faster without that cable. Look up the stats/documents on the Noctua fan. It comes with a lot of extra cables. 

Highlighted
fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 1,174
Message 30 of 39

Got this email from Doug at MyDigitalSSD regarding the tempertures I am seeing with my BPX480. Interesting what he had to say.....

"Not to worry, our drive definitely runs hot, but the main reason for
that is because we put the heat sensor on the controller itself whereas
our competition put the sensor further away on the PCB. You will not
need to worry unless the drive breaks the 120c mark.

Douglas Hare
MyDigitalSSD
support@MyDigitalSSD.com"

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors