Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 2,295
Message 11 of 39

Re: ssd m.2 not showing up in BIOS, works in windows

Thank you, you are a great help to me.

I saw the slot below the 2nd PCIE x 16 slot, but it was not marked as an M.2, even though I was pretty sure it was one. Lenovo pre-sales support said this board did NOT have an M.2 slot. The motherboard diagram in the manual did not even show the slot. There may be other folks somewhere, but you are the first person I have seen report successful install and OS boot of the Y900 from an M.2 PCIE SSD. Maybe my google-fu is lacking. Smiley Embarassed

In my Y900-34ISZ I also have the upper front fan, but no lower front fan installed. I would prefer not to have to install another fan unless unavoidable, but do want to upgrade to the SX8000 M.2 drive soon.

My motherboard BIOS is  01ZKT32A, 12/11/2015. It appears the latest BIOS for my system is 01ZKT40A, and it is marked Critical, but everything is operating splendidly as is so I am somewhat hesitant to update the BIOS.

I thank you again for your speedy and detailed responses.

fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 2,279
Message 12 of 39

Hello again audpar. Do you mind telling exactly what model Y900 you have? I see the Razr Model Y900 RE-34ISZ 99FK0010US specifies PCIE 3.0 x4 ssd via M.2 slot, while my Model Y900-34ISZ 90DD000SUS (with GTX 980 and 16gb DDR4 ram) specifies optional SATA SSD via M.2 slot.

Y900 specifications page

If my model only supports SATA SSD (rather tha PCIE ssd)  via M.2 then there is no real agvantage to doing that type upgrade over the regular 256 SATA 3 6gbs SSD that came already installed.

audpar
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,278
Message 13 of 39

Hey. You worry too much Smiley Happy

They have same chipsets, razr version only has m.2 ssd (interface+actual disk) included so you don't have to buy it separately.

I have this one

Y900-34ISZ type: 90DD008KPB

BTW, I've added fan, now ssd temp averages at 62, so I guess it's a bit better. Still though, when under pressure sometimes peaks up to 70.. I think I'll ask Adata if that's okay Smiley Happy Don't really want to lose warranty by attaching radiators...

fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 2,269
Message 14 of 39

As always, thank you for your reply. WRT worrying too much , I probably do Smiley Happy. I hate returning stuff so want to make sure I get the right item first time. Now vacillating between the cheaper ADATA and a faster OCZ. Will likely end up with the ADATA. Pretty significant price difference. If the ADATA version with the heat sink was available it would likely end the debate.

I also plan to add another 16gb DDR4 when what I like goes on sale. This will max the board at 32gb.

audpar, you seem very knowledgeable about these systems - do you happen to know if they are SLI or Crossfire capable? Mostly just curious, but good documentation on this motherboard's capabilities seems hard to come by.

Glad to hear your adding the fan has helped the heat issue. Great to know.

I appreciate your willingness to help. I try to do the same where I am able.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,246
Message 15 of 39

I'm only concerned about temperature as it almost never drops below 65 and goes up to 70, but in specs it says it's working temp is up to 70

Installing even a basic heatsink can drop the temps by 10C, providing the inside case temps aren't being super heated by GPUs. 

Puget Systems - Samsung 950 Pro M.2 Additional Cooling Testing

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 2,172
Message 16 of 39

I just bit the bullet and ordered the MyDigitalSSD BPX 480gb PCIEx4 M.2 SSD at newegg. It was $12.50 cheaper at another site but my new Amex Premier Gold card will give me $50 off my first purchase at newegg so I ordered there instead. Plus newegg has usually given me excellent service.

Look forward to trying to get this done as soon as possible.

fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 2,113
Message 17 of 39

The MyDigitalSSD BPX 480 M.2 SSD arrived today. Got it installed tonight and it indeed shows as a PCIE 3.0x4 Device running on Windows 10 storNMVe driver. Speeds are good, not quite as good as I had hoped but really solid.

CrystalDiskMark BPX 480 M.2 SSD 1st Run.PNG

CrystalDiskInfo BPX 480 M.2 SSD.PNG

wb9uze
Punch Card
Views: 2,068
Message 18 of 39

Re: Y900: M.2 SSD, not showing up in BIOS, but visible in Win 10

When you say "M.2 INTERFACE" are you saying an "M.2 CARD PLUGGED INTO A SEPARATE PCIe 3.0 X 4 CARD WHICH IS PLUGGED INTO A MAINBOARD Y900 PCIe SLOT?"  I HAVE A Y900-34ISZ (PURCHASED IN JAN 2016) AND MY MANUAL DOES NOT SHOW ANY MAINBOARD M.2 SLOTS TO PLUG DIRECTLY

IN TO.   I ONLY SHOW A MINI PCIe SLOT YET I'VE SEEN MANY TIMES WHERE THE Y900-ISZ IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE (2) M.2 PCI SLOTS ON THE MAINBOARD AND ONE IS OCCUPIED BY A WIFI CARD. HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO VERIFY THIS. THANKS    

fullonshred
Token Ring
Views: 2,059
Message 19 of 39

Forget the manual. It has a few errors. There is an M.2 Slot directly below the lower PCIEx16 slot. It is clearly visible in the picture below. Note the 3 silver rings for different length M.2 drives. These rings are directly to the right of the PCIex1 Slot. There is a black screw in the 3rd ring from the M.2 Slot  (this is for an 80mm length M.2 Drive).

32625171110_de5fa71f42_z

Here in the second picture see the size 2280 M keyed MyDigitalSSD BPX 480 M.2 PCIEx4 3.0 SSD installed. This is below the lower PCIEx16 slot and above the Wireless adapter card you mentioned. Hope this helps. Mine is still working perfectly and offers the best performance per $ spent in the M.2 PCIEx4 3.0 SSD category. See my CrystalDiskMark scores above. This thing is FAST!

32625170920_1416b31d6b_c

wb9uze
Punch Card
Views: 2,043
Message 20 of 39

AHH SO. I SEE SAID THE BLIND MAN. RIGHT ON. THE MANUAL IS SURELY FLAWED. IT'S GOING TO SAVE ME BUYING A PCIe INTERFACE CARD AND USING A PCIe slot. PLAN ON USING A Samsung 960 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCI-Express 3.0 Internal SSD 512G MZ-V6P512BW. FROM WHAT I READ HERE I SHOULD GET 4 LANE PERFORMANCE FROM THE M.2 SLOT.  I'M RUNNING 2 SANDISK 480GB EXTREME PRO'S RIGHT NOW. ONE WILL BE PULLED AND USED IN THE DELL M6500 AND THE OTHER WILL BE USED SOLELY AS A CLONE TO BACKUP THE 960 SSD.  THEY ARE PRETTY QUICK BUT I'VE HAD  A FIRE EXTINGUISHER FOR AWHILE AND NEVER USED IT.  I'M GOING TO INSTALL SAID SAMSUNG 960, DO A LITTLE CLONING, AND STAND BY WITH THE EXTINGUISHER WHEN IT BOOTS IN CASE THE CHIPS START SMOKING. THANKS MUCH FOR THE QUICK REPLY SINCE I'VE BEEN READY FOR AWHILE TO PULL THE TRIGGER ON BUYING THE 960 SSD.  SHOULD BE A SIGHT TO BEHOLD. I'LL HV TO WATCH THE HEAT CLOSELY ON THE DRIVE. I DID INSTALL 2 NOCTUA 120MM PWM FANS IN THE FRONT PANEL WHICH MAY HELP SOME. THINK THE POWER SUPPLY SHOULD HOLD THE EXTRA STRAIN OKAY. THANKS AGAIN AND FYI THIS WAS THE ONLY POST ANYWHERE I COULD GET ANY GOOD INFO ON MY QUESTIONS. KUDOS!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors