02-14-2019

GB

41 Signins

326 Page Views

• Views: 326
  • Message 1 of 4

lenovo Y520T-25IKL - Unable to boot into windows

2020-07-20, 21:18 PM

Hopefully this time my post wont get removed!

So upon turning my pc on yesterday it was unable to load windows, just froze on the "circle" when windows 10 is loading.  I have tried the following options:

reboot and start windows normally

startup repair

uninstalling latest updates

Restoring to a restore point

Re-setting the pc

None of which have worked.  After re-setting the pc it all seemed to work fine and rebooted and started to re-install windows, at which point i got stop code: Clock watchdog timeout?

I did install an M2 ssd which is used as the boot drive/OS... is the drive faulty/damaged or could the issue lie else where?

(the machine is still under warranty)

Options

724 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

78 Signins

4408 Page Views

• Views: 4408
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:lenovo Y520T-25IKL - Unable to boot into windows

2020-07-21, 8:46 AM

Hi,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum community!

First thing to try is to do a BIOS reset: 

i will suggest resetting the BIOS settings, which can be done the following way, , you need to push the tiny button located (Go Here search with your serial number, then select pane "Knowledgebase and Guides" Then find the user manual and locate the Novo buttons placement in the manual),  

You can use, for example a paperclip to press it, after you have pressed the button, the laptop will power on, and present a small  

menu, use the arrow keys to select BIOS Setup, and press the enter key to select.

Now use the arrow key right to go to the tab called "Exit" then use arrow down key to highlight "Load Default Settings", then press  

enter, and then use arow key up to highlight "Exit Saving Changes", press enter, then press enter again to aknowledge saving, now let  

the computer boot, and see if this changes anything.

CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT Blue Screen Stop Error can occur on a Windows system when the specified processor is not processing interrupts. It usually happens when the processor is nonresponsive or is deadlocked. This error occurs when the processor is having problems with the co-operation of its cores and threads. The threads are tasks performed by the cores, and some cores can have many threads simultaneously. The problem is that one thread is waiting for an adequate response from another thread – or one kernel is waiting for a response from another kernel – and those responses are not coming. In technical terms, when the processor is not able to continue processing of tasks because its resources are occupied and are interdependent to get free, this state is called as Deadlock So, today, we will be trying how to fix this Blue Screen error and prevent it from happening in the future.

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bug check has a value of 0x00000101. This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.

CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT Blue Screen error

The following potential fixes will be carried out to fix BSOD errors related to error CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT on Windows 10,

1. Rollback a recently updated device driver
  2. Run Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool
  3. Disconnect new hardware.
  4. Troubleshoot in Clean Boot State.
  5. Update the BIOS.

If you tend to create a System Restore point usually, you can try to undo any modifications on your computer, by performing System Restore. Secondly, it is recommended that you carry out these tasks mentioned below in Safe Mode with Networking only.

If you Overclocked your system, first undo the overclocking and see if that makes the BSOD go away.

1] Rollback a recently updated device driver

If you recently updated your driver, I suggest you rollback your driver and see if that helps.

2] Run Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool

To fix any issues with your RAM, follow these steps.

Run the Memory Check on your computer. Start by hitting the WINKEY + R button combination to launch the Run utility. Then type in, mdsched.exe and then hit Enter. It will launch the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and will give out two options-

1. Restart now and check for problems (Recommended)
  2. Check for problems the next time I start my computer

Now, according to the option selected by you, the computer will restart and check for memory based problems.

If you get any issues there, it will fix it automatically else if no issues are detected, this is probably not the cause of the issue.

3] Disconnect new hardware

You can try to disconnect any new hardware device you recently plugged in. This error can also be triggered if the newly installed device is keeping the processor engaged with various instructions like faulty driver installation and more.

Hence, it is recommended to remove any such hardware devices one by one and check if that fixes your issues. And if you find that particular device that triggers the error, you can just check if the latest driver for it is stable enough with your operating system.

4] Troubleshoot in Clean Boot state

You can troubleshoot further manually by performing a Clean Boot. A Clean Boot starts a system with minimal drivers and startup programs. When you start the computer in clean boot, the computer starts by using a pre-selected minimal set of drivers and startup programs, and because the computer starts with a minimal set of drivers, some programs may not work as you expected.

Clean-boot troubleshooting is designed to isolate a performance problem. To perform clean-boot troubleshooting, you must disable or enable one process at a time, and then restart the computer after each action. If the problem goes away, you know that it was the last process which was creating the problem.

Another thing you could try is to reinstall, but not using the cloned factory image:

You can order a backup media for installation at pcsupport.lenovo.com search with serial number, go to the panel, drivers, select 3rd pane.

Or,

Download the below application, and create a bootable installation media for Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

when installing, and you are asked for the serial key, press the text that says "I do not have a key" then let it continue to install, then update drivers,  

and do a full windows update, then reboot, and your computer should be registered with the OEM key, since it is embedded into the computer.

Then go to pcsupport.lenovo.com search with serial number, go to the panel, drivers, and use either automatic driver installation, or manual driver installation.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

18 Posts

02-14-2019

GB

41 Signins

326 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2020-07-21, 22:09 PM

So today i have turned the desktop and strangely it started as normal and then gave the message "system restore completed successfully" which I find strange as it failed previously, and then I even tried a system restore afterwards which also failed.

I have run lenovo diagnostics tool and check: storage, processor and motherboard - no issues found

Windows memory diagnostics tool - no errors found also

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened here and if there is still an underlying problem with the pc?

Thank you in advance

Options

18 Posts

02-14-2019

GB

41 Signins

326 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-07-23, 21:26 PM
So turning the pc on today has reverted back to the original problem, with the pc freezing on startup trying to load windows. Any ideas?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete