cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 19,568

CURRENT SUPPORTED LTS VERSIONS (as of 9/18/2018) : 18.04.1

CURRENT SUPPORTED NON LTS VERSION (as of 9/18/2018) : 18.10

An updated version of the guide can always be found here

NOTE: This guide focuses on Ubuntu 18.10, however the steps should be the same for 18.04.2

WARNING: Following these steps will erase the OS that comes on your laptop. Make sure you have a backup before continuing

NOTE: 18.10 doesn't seem to like USB 3.0 flash drives, so use a USB 2.0 one.  

This is a long guide, and you will need to be comfortable around a command line to complete it.

The Legion Y530 is designed to run windows, and many features, including Vantage and Nerve Sense, only work on Windows. However, there are many reasons one could want to run an alternative OS, such as Linux on their Legion, and this guide will help you set up the machine so you can easily boot and install the OS.

Step 1: If you haven't already done so, back up the machine with a 3rd party tool, or the built in Windows Back Up utility. 

Step 2: Download Etcher and Ubuntu 18.10 desktop

Step 3: Use Etcher to write the disk image to a USB drive (8GB or larger recommended)

etcher1.PNGEtcher main screen. if your flash drive is plugged in before etcher is opened, it should automatically select itetcher2.PNGetcher with disk image and flash drive selectedetcher3.PNGetcher writing imageetcher4.PNGetcher completed

Step 4: Hold down shift, and then open the start menu and press the power icon and then restart

Step 5: Hold shift until you see the advanced startup screen

20180827_200528.jpg

Step 6: From the advanced startup screen, select troubleshoot then advanced, then UEFI Settings. From the UEFI settings screen, press the restart button

20180827_200536.jpg20180827_200543.jpg 

20180827_200554.jpg

Step 7: once the machine boots into the UEFI Settings, navigate over to the security tab with the arrow keys, then down to the secure boot setting. press enter then change the setting to disabled using the arrow key. press enter to change the setting and dismiss the dialog.

20180827_200626.jpg20180827_200636.jpg20180827_200715.jpg

Step 8: Press F10 and select yes to save the changes

Step 9: from the point the Bios exits start pressing F12 until you see the device selection screen

20180827_220001.jpg

Step 10: Select your USB device from the list

Step 11: Select "try ubuntu without installing" or equivalent option 

Step 12: Once on the desktop has booted, open a terminal and run sudo rmmod ideapad_laptop to allow wifi to work then follow the ubuntu steps for installing the OS

Step 13: Follow the instructions for rebooting after the install has completed. after the legion screen, but before the boot screen, press escape to get to the grub selection menu.

Step 14: press e on the option for your OS, and edit the "quiet splash" line to "quiet splash nouveau.modeset=0"  once the nvidia drivers are installed, this won't be needed

Step 15: Press F10 to boot the OS, once you are at the desktop, open the terminal and run sudo rmmod ideapad_laptop

Step 16: without closing the terminal Perform a system update (e.g sudo apt-update && sudo apt dist-upgrade for ubuntu)

Step 17: run the command sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Step 18: add blacklist ideapad_laptop to the end of the file, this will get wifi working permanently

Screenshot from 2018-08-27 23-27-14.png

Step 19: once finished reboot. back at the desktop,wifi should now be working without needing the rmmod command every time. 

Step 20: run the command sudo apt install nvidia-driver-390 nvidia-prime, accept the installation and reboot after it completes 

Step 21: verify that the installation works by opening a terminal and perform the following 

• Run prime-select query (should return nvidia) 
  • Run sudo prime-select intel (should say “selected intel profile” or similar) 
  • Run prime-select query (should return intel) 

This concludes installing Ubuntu on the Legion Y530 and getting core functionality working.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
Dvk98

Ok so ..I managed to get Ubuntu 18.04 working .

I change quietsplash to nomodeset to get it installed .

And then after installation . I added nouveau.modeset=0.  To avoid getting stuck after the login screen due to the Nvidia drivers issue.

( http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how-to-install-latest-nvidia-drivers-in-linux )

After that I maganed to get the Nvidia drivers installed successfully and it's working fine .. touchpad is also working .

BUT my WiFi driver/adapter is not found .

I tried downloading the intelac9560 Linux driver (a file of .ucode format ) and placed it in /lib/firmware but still doesn't work.

Please tell what to do to get my WiFi working .

Step 21: run the command sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Step 22: add blacklist ideapad_laptop to the end of the file, this will get wifi working permanently

Reboot after saving the file

Dvk98

Thanks . It's working perfectly now 

XavierOx

I just installed ubuntu 18.04.1 on my legion y530 on the last 150MB of the 1TB disk.

I didn't have to edit i915 in Grub. Everything went smoothly.

I had to blacklist ideapad_laptop as explained above.. and now the WIFI works perfectly.

Thanks a lot for the info i found in this thread.

RileyLynx

Thanks for the detailed guide!

Can anyone confirm the following in Ubuntu?

- At least 3 hours battery life on intel graphics with light desktop/web use.

- Fans are inaudable under light use.

- Bluetooth works.

- Function keys work for screen brightness, keyboard backlight and volume.

Not too fussed about nVidia graphics in Ubuntu in the short term. If I purchace one of these I'll dual boot windows for gaming. I'd go for something with half the power but the smaller laptops make too many compromises for me.

XavierOx

Update to my previous post, i finally added the "nomodeset i915.alpha_support=1" option because i had several crashes (frozen screen).

It's now working well.

To answer some of the questions above with the ubuntu 18.04.1 i installed :

. Don't know the exact battery life. Don't expect great battery life from this laptop. Current battery notification says : 50% and 1h27m remaining.

. The fans often start when opening some apps such as firefox or chrome. Sometimes 3 seconds, sometimes more. So they are not inaudable under light use. Same thing under windows, would love to be able to improve that.

. Bluetooth work out of the box.

. Out of the box, function keys work for keyboard backlight and volume. Not for screen brightness.

I just replaced the 1Tb 5400rpm drive with a WD blue 3D 1Tb SSD and added a second 8Gb of RAM.

Everything was easy and work great. The i7 8750H is very very nice Smiley Happy

I can do some battery tests. Going to be working on re-writing some parts of the guide once 18.10 releases next month, and I believe the kernel will be new enough to solve the touchpad not working out of the box. 18.04.2 will have the HWE stack from 18.10 which may also fix some other issues.

I'm hoping that I can get it to a point where the setup is scripted, so there will be less steps.

Notes: Screen brightness hotkey not working is probably a graphics stack issue. 

Update (9/22/2018)

Booted the daily image of 18.10. Touchpad works out of the box, so external mouse won't be needed as soon as the 18.04.2 images are available with the HWE kernel. This allowed me to remove several of the steps from the guide. 

There are still a few issues with the 18.10 dailies, and I suspect these won't be fixed until the beta. As soon as the beta images are available, I will be installing them and doing a run-through of the new guide as I have it written to see what needs to be changed. I'm hoping that 18.04.2 (HWE) and 18.10 also fix the nvidia issues so I can get both GPUs working with switching. If all goes well I can have the new guide ready as soon as the final images for ubuntu are live.

Update: 9/26/2018 

Running the latest (as of 9/25) 18.10 daily, I have successfully installed the nvidia drivers and nvidia-prime.

Graphics acceleration and GPU switching without reboot appears to be fully functional. 

As soon as 18.10 is live I will be finishing the re-write of this guide

Should I install the 18.10 beta?

I am currently running it so I can finish re-writing the guide and have it ready for the final release. It seems to run well so far, but I wouldn't reccomend running a pre-release operating system on a machine you intend to use as a daily driver. the steps above don't apply for 18.10 and they won't apply once 18.04.2 is out. I am working on a script that will automate most of the above guide. 

saarraaaah

Thanks for the tutorial I've been really searching for it !

However I am stuck in the ppa part, I am getting the error that theres no user or team for teejee2008.

Please advise.

Isn't it teejee2001 ?

saarraaaah

I think it's a typo, look at the screenshot.

saarraaaah

It's seems there's a step that I missed, everything is running smoothly now

Thanks !!

wow, didn't notice that.

Those steps are gone once the new ubuntu is out, as the kernel version was bumped up to 4.18. 

tindus

Hi everybody,
I want to dual boot with original Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.x in my Lenovo Legion Y530.
Following this guide, the Ubuntu installer doesn't see any HDD partition, even the Windows 10 partition. I know that this guide specifies that "Following these steps will erase the OS that comes on your laptop.", but has anyone tried a dual boot installation?

Any help is welcome!!!

I've had this issue with UEFI systems before. There was a bug in the installer at one point where I wouldn't see the other OS and then failed to install any UEFI boot entries. I can try sometime this week to see if 18.04 or 18.10 will see Windows 10 and allow dual boot. 

Dvk98

I didn't have any those issue  other than the wifi and Nvidia driver .  I directly installed 18.04 alongside win10. 

Maybe try updating the bios . I remember updating to newer version I found in the lenovo website page.

tindus

@Fullmetal99012, I'll appreciate a lot any help!!!

@Dvk98, the installer doesn't show the option "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10". It jumps directly to select the device to install, but it doesn't see any of the HDD partitions.

Gensai

Hello @Fullmetal99012

I would like to ask you about your 18.10 description / script.
I have 9 day long holiday and it would be awesome if I could run linux on my legion.

Any chance to share your updated description for 18.10 (today ? Smiley Very Happy) ? 

BTW: I have problem with GPUs only. So if you share only that part how can I make GPUs to work properly, it would be perfect to me.

18.10 Guide is up. 18.04.2 is not out at time of writing this comment so 18.10 is best bet for stable setup with graphics working. As soon as 18.04.2 goes live I'll make an update since the LTS HWE stack is the recommended choice. 

Working on trying to see why some hotkeys aren't recognized (Mic mute, Camera, Airplane mode, and Screen record buttons) 

Gensai

Hi all

1st of all thanks for the updated guide for @Fullmetal99012!

I did some testing and found an interesting problem.

When I installed everything as Fullmetal suggested, first time everything worked fine.
I connected my HDMI monitor, screen extended successfuly. But after restart the external monitor didn't work anymore.

After some digging, trying, configuring (and probably some misconfiguration :-( ) I reinstalled ubuntu again...

But this time I installed nvidia-driver-410 from PPA repo (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa). Reboot. After that I connected my external monitor to my laptop, everything worked as before with v390 driver.

But this time before restart I deleted (renamed) /etc/X11/xorg.conf!
After restart, my external display still working. I can reboot with connected display, without display, it's prefectly functional.

My guess is the xorg.conf is generated by nvidia driver after conneceted HDMI first time, but the system actually running without loading that config until next restart. I'm not sure, but it's my guess.

I'm not a linux expert, I just want to share my experience. Probably it's also working with v390 driver if you delete xorg.conf but I don't want to try it now :-)

I hope it's helpful some of you.

Dvk98

I tried switching to Intel GPU via the Nvidia xserver and then Ubuntu stopeds booting . Then i..used nouveau.modeset=0 to get it to boot and I wasn't able to switch back to nvidia .had to stay on Intel GPU. I had to reinstall Ubuntu to get back to Nvidia . 

I tried removing and reinstalling the nvidia driver but It kept saying failed to load Nvidia driver.

Battery life is sucks when using the Nvidia GPU everytime 

Did anyone else have this problem ?

FenixAlive

I made free space in windows ssd before installing dual boot Windows/Linux, i had no problems.

Anyone has a solution for screen brightness control?

@FenixAlive screen brightness keys are working properly.

To switch the graphics card, do I need to logout and login or is there other method?

on 18.10 you should not need to log out/log in again, as this was fixed with the latest xorg and nvidia-prime. 

@tindus 18.10 detected windows and allowed me to choose "Install alongside windows boot manager"

@Gensai interesting, I haven't used external monitors with my Y530 yet, so I can try using them next time I run through the guide. I can test my install with the 410 drivers (didn't realize there were newer ones) and update the guide. 

I'm still trying to script out the entire guide so that its as easy as install, boot once with the nouveau.nomodeset option, run a script and reboot. 

My hunch on the non functional hotkeys (Airplane mode, screen record, etc) is that instead of ACPI events like the brightness and volume keys fire, they just change memory values on the Embedded Controller. I need to pull my ThinkPad Yoga driver for ubuntu and use it to see if my hunch is correct.    

But after switching to nvidia profile, applications like Settings and Chrome WebGL are still showing integrated graphics. Blender is also not showing CUDA availablity. Only when I logout and login, then all these applications are showing the Nvidia GPU.

Dvk98

Does the switching b/w GPUs work properly in 18.04.2 ? 

I'm currently in 18.04.1 and last time I tried switching to Intel GPU ..I was never able to go back to Nvidia . Ended up reinstalling Ubuntu.

Also is 18.10 LTS ? 

And also  I can upgrade to 18.04.2 from 18?04.1 using sudo apt dist-upgrade right ?

18.10 Is not LTS, it only has 6 months of support. 

Upgrading between point releases should work, but I have never actually done a point release upgrade.

Graphics Switching is broken in 18.04 and 18.04.1 since it changed how xorg worked and the fixes weren't ready until 18.10.

18.04.2 isn't available yet, so I don't have a definitive answer on graphics switching, but since it has backports and kernel from 18.10, it should work as it does on 18.10. 

@142434 Interesting. It's supposed to be instant, but optimus was always odd on linux. 

I have posted an updated guide and setup script to my git repo. 

It can be found here

https://github.com/kfechter/LegionY530Ubuntu

This should allow me to more easily and rapidly update things. 

Dvk98

just out of curiosity . 

where is my grub installed ?

(win10 is in the ssd and ubuntu in the harddrive) so is the grub also installed in the harddrive or within the ssd alongside windows boot manager. 

(Im assuming the MBR is in the ssd )

During the install ubuntu usually asks where you want to put it.

It could be on either the SSD or the hard drive. 

https://serverfault.com/questions/339309/how-can-i-find-out-where-grub-was-installed 

the above link may help determine where it was installed.

Sivvis

At first let me say thank you for this Guide.

The problem with the broken HDMI hit's me really hard, are there any workaround for this?

I'm now on Ubuntu 18.04 and the output from xrandr didn't show any HDMI, DisplayPort or USB-C, i try all with different cables and Monitors, nothing seems to Work...

UPDATE: Now it work's and i found a reproducible state, the kernel option "nouveau.modeset=0" hast to be set, even the Nvidia drivers are installed or the HDMI or any other display connection won't work.

Hope that this isu usefull for some people.

That's good to know.

I'm currently working on one of the bigger issues (Hotkeys not generating events). It's related to the module that also breaks wifi when its loaded. 

As of this commit to the linux kernel, the ideapad_laptop module no longer hard blocks the wifi/bluetooth, but it didn't make the merge window for the v4.19 kernel. Installing the 4.20-rc1 or 4.20-rc2 kernel on 18.04.x or 18.10 should take care of all the hardware problems, but could create other issues. I need to do a bunch of testing, but I am currently running Windows. 

jasiu

Hi All,

At the beginning I would like to say thank you to Fullmetal99012, your guide helped me a lot with installing Ubuntu on my Legion y530.

I would like to share with you problems that I encountered since I bought this laptop and solutions for them.
Problems only occured on Ubuntu, on Windows this laptop runs smoothly and well.

For me first problem was system freeze during BIOS startup (at the Lenovo screen). I went to the Lenovo webpage and updated BIOS to the version 8JCN44WW downloaded from Lenovo website.

Second problem, now on Ubuntu, was system hang ups after logging in (just after I wrote my password and hit enter system freezes). I found out that this only problem only occurs when the charger was unplugged and laptop was running on battery. When charger was plugged in, Ubuntu booted fine. At that time I have installed "X.Org X server - Nouveau" graphics drivers. After changing the drivers to the most recent NVIDIA drivers (415) the problem is gone. Ubuntu boots fine with charger plugged in and on battery..

Third, problem was second monitor being not detected. I found out that when I am running intel graphics card (sudo prime-select intel), my laptop does not see second monitor. It sees it only when runing nvidia graphics card (sudo prime-select nvidia).
The possible solution for this problem is described over here:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042774/linux/nvidia-drivers-390-77-no-external-display-on-...
But it did not work for me, for me only works setting default graphics card to NVIDIA one.

The last problem is how to enable the GNOME Night Light. At my laptop the switch in Settings -> Devices -> Displays -> Night Light (on/off), just does not work. So I found the solution over here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/951392/i-want-the-night-light-applet-from-gnome-shell-3-24/951469#95...

I have installed redshift (1. below) and every time I run the computer I just change the screen color temperature ussing command (2.)

1. sudo apt-get install redshift

2. redshift -O 4000

# 4000 is the color temperature

Below are the commands and actions what I did after installing Ubuntu:

- Ubuntu 18.04.1 installed with kernel 4.15.0-29-generic, graphics drivers by default were set to Nouveau

1. sudo rmmod ideapad_laptop
    # Enable WiFi

2. sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    # Add below 2 lines to the end of the file:
    "# Ideapad_laptop module bad"
    "blacklist ideapad_laptop"

4. sudo apt-get update
5. sudo apt-get upgrade
    #(I did it just to check if kernel will be upgraded, but it was not)

6. reboot

7. # step 1 and 2 one more time because in step 5 I allowed the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf to be changed

8. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    # adding the repository with NVIDIA 415 drivers

9. ubuntu-drivers devices
    # below is the output for this command

vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
    model    : GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile]
    driver   : nvidia-driver-396 - third-party free
    driver   : nvidia-driver-410 - third-party free
    driver   : nvidia-driver-415 - third-party free recommended
    driver   : nvidia-driver-390 - third-party free
    driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

10. sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-415

11. sudo prime-select nvidia

12. prime-select query
    # should show NVIDIA

13. reboot

MY QUESTIONS:
Could you please share with me what Kernel you are running? And what Kernel you suggest to install to get the best performance?

Gensai

@jasiu:

ubuntu: 18.10

kernel: 4.18.0-11-generic

nvidia driver: 410.73 

I'm working with this system in the past month with 2 external monitors and everything works as expected.

jasiu

@Gensai:

Thank you for your reply.

Could you tell me please how did you manage to install Ubuntu 18.10?
I have Windows installed with legacy mode and same with Ubuntu 18.04.1. For 18.10 installation I chossed legacy mode as well.
I created a bootable USB with 18.10 using Rufus app on Windows (settings: Partition scheme: MBR).

After booting by USB from BIOS I had a crash and could not go further. I want to add that I have BIOS version 8JCN44WW and there is no setting like "Secure Boot", unfortunately.

According to Fullmetal99012, Ubuntu 18.10 does not like USB 3.0 ports, and my Legion Y530 has all 3 USB ports 3.1A.

Gensai

@jasiu:

Secure boot option is only available in UEFI mode.

Why do you prefer legacy mode? Don't use it Smiley Happy it's legacy Smiley Happy 

In my case, every USB port worked during the installation (and later).

My installation steps: 

- use UEFI & turn off secure boot

- boot from usb (try without install) 

- after booted with "nouveau.modeset=0" install nvidia driver

-- I used PPA (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa)

- do blacklist part of description

- remove nouveau modeset 0

- remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf generated by nvidia driver

- restart

- done

When I say doesn't like 3.0 ports, I mean that my Y530 refused to boot any Ubuntu 18.10 USB drive that happened to be a USB 3.0 drive. Could boot any of my other machines fine, but not the Legion. Worked fine when I used a USB 2.0 drive.

I was running 18.04 with a self patched version of the stock kernel. I manually backported the change for the ideapad_laptop module that fixes the wifi hard block issue. 

EDIT: I've switched back to Windows temporarily until I can get more functionality working. 4.15.8 still doesn't have the ideapad_laptop fix yet. v4.20-rc2 and up in the ubuntu mainline do, but I wouldn't reccomend installing any rc Linux kernel since that breaks other compatibilities. 

Dvk98

Has anyone tried Linux mint 19 cinnamon on the y530 ? I tried live booting and I really like it  and would like to replace Ubuntu if Mint doesn't have the gpu switching and HDMI port problem .

Mint appears to use v4.15.

it also appears to require reboot after optimus switching, just as 18.04 does. 

most of these issues involve changes to the kernel and nvidia-packages that need to be backported, so a lot of distros are going to have these issues. 

I have tried running Arch, but that was even worse in the graphics switching department. 

I had HDMI out working on 18.04 with the 390 packages. 

jasiu

HI Again Smiley Happy

I have installed Ubuntu 18.10 on UEFI mode, currently running kernel 4.18.0-11-generic, graphics drivers nvidia-driver-415 (open source). Everything runs good instead of the fact that my computer makes noises. Those quiet noises are like beeping or cracking, like my computer was doing some calculations all the time. I think those are from the graphisc card. I did not have those noises when I was using nouveau graphisc drivers.

Maybe do you know why is like that and how to fix it?

Also when I had Windows on dual boot, on Windows everything was super smooth.

@jaisu, is it a kind of high pitched squealing? I get coil whine occasionally, but under high loads I also get a buzz from the power supply. 

Haven't found a solution for mine yet.

Contributors