cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 47,726

Note: some of these steps also apply to any other Legion or Lenovo gaming latop with Optimus and GeForce Graphics. Intel drivers are specific to laptops with 8th generation Intel CPUs.

Note: Not all applications will run on the NVIDIA GPU, even when selected.

Symptoms : NVIDIA GPU Doesn't seem to activate when needed, or NVIDIA control panel is missing.

Right click the desktop, and see if the context menu shown shows "NVIDIA Control Panel." If not, proceed to step 1a under solution. If it does, proceed to the next diagnoses below.

desktop context menu with nvidia.PNG

If you are trying to get an application to run under the NVIDIA GPU, there are two options. One is to temporarily run it on the NVIDIA  GPU, the other is to configure it to always run under that GPU. If you want to have it run on the NVIDIA  GPU once, proceed to step 1b, otherwise go to step 1c

Solutions

1a Download both the latest Intel GPU Drivers and GeForce graphics drivers (making sure to select notebook for the GeForce drivers) 

Intel - Download the driver marked latest and named "Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10"
Nvidia - Use the search feature, selecting your graphics card, OS and other relevant options, and download the latest driver (examples below)

nvidia1.PNGnvidia2.PNG

Install the Intel drivers first, and then the NVIDIA  drivers, as the drivers for the NVIDIA GPU may not install properly without them.

1b) To configure the option to add "run with graphics processor" to application context menu, right click the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. then click the menu at the top named "Desktop." Finally, make sure the option 'Add "Run with graphics processor" to Context Menu' is checked. (you can also check "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area") This will allow you to see if an application is running on the GPU. Proceed to step 2.

nvidiacontrolpaneloptions.PNG

1c) To permanently configure an application to run under the Nvidia GPU, right click the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. Then on the left side, select "Manage 3D Settings." On the right pane, select the tab labeled "Program Settings." If you see the program you are looking for in the list, great! Select it, and change the dropdown to "High-performance NVIDIA Processor" Proceed to Step 2b. If you don't see the application in the list, click add, then browse to the location of your application. once its added, follow the same step to change the dropdown to "High-performance NVIDIA Processor," then proceed to step 2.

nvidia1.PNGnvidia2.PNG

2) If you didn't enable "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area," please do so now from the "Desktop" menu at the top of the application.

If you are running the application using the context menu, fund the shortcut for the application you want to run.  If its on the start menu, you may need to right click the shortcut, open the "More" menu, and select "Open File Location." Then right click the shortcut and use the "Run with graphics processor" menu. once you select the NVIDIA Option there, the program should open, the icon in the task tray should go from grey to colored, and if you click on it, it should show your application.  

If you configured it to run the application on the NVIDIA GPU every time, open the application that you configured. The icon in the task tray should go from grey to colored, and if you click on it, it should show your application.

Screenshot (5).png

nvidia tasktray.PNG

Was this information helpful?

Comments

Hi 

Many thanks for your excelent walk-thru post.

My new y530 dosn't have any Nvidia software installed and Nvidia 1050Ti was never utilized so far in my daily use:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/y530-Does-Nvidia-GPU-work-at-all/td-p/4188160

Just in case of need I checked the steps in this post starting with downloading Intel's UHD 630 driver.

The problem : 

Latest version of Intel Graphics Driver for Windows 10 is 24.20.100.6286. Under : This Download is valid for products list below: my i7-8750H CPU is missing.

Current Intel drive installed is : 23.20.16.5017 from 6/11/2018. This driver doen't appear on the list of drivers on Intel's site.

Interesting. Intel may not have updated the compatible products list. 24.20.100.6286. From the Intel download site is what I am currently running for the graphics on my 8750H.

Thanks. Just installed the Intel driver and 'the sky didn't fall' :-)

Will wait some time until testing the Nvidia driver/software.

I am very cautious with installing anything on my Windows laptops as this is a working 24/7 machine.

90% of software running is portable.

alex

Hi,

Tried to install today Nvidia's drivers and got the same incompatible Nvidia driver error.

I was hoping to refrain from installing GeForce Experience software which many flag as buggy.

The Nvidia driver installed looks like an Intel driver ?

Nvidia2.jpgNvdia.jpg

I use Geforce Experience on my desktop and the legion as it was required for GameStream. 

Gamestrem.PNG 

Driver version looks OK, its just the way device manger shows it.

Device manager isn't showing an exclamation point, so the device is loaded in windows, just seems to be missing the control panel.

Any idea why I get the incompatibily error and how can I fix it ?

Will running update driver or uninstalling and let Microsoft reinstall may help ?

Not sure on the incompatibility. When I did the driver install it was on a completely fresh install of windows. 

It seems similar to my W530 issues, where if any piece of the lenovo drivers for intel graphics existed, the nvidia driver from their site would fail to install.

As a last resort, I would try installing the nvidia driver package from the lenovo drivers page. 

I haven't seen Nvidia driver package on Lenovo site. There is only a Nvidia VGA for y530. 

ps. I don't game and don't have Nvidia Shield :-)

The nvidia (vga) package Is the nvidia driver for the y530, just repackaged.

OK.

Installed GeForce Experience , installed the new gaming 399.07 drivers, made the changes you recommended here. 

Pity I can't add any app, example, MPC-HC, to use the Nvidia GPU.

Looks like there are issues with video players and optimus switching

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/513313/media-player-classic-homecinema-forced-on-integrated...

http://codecs.forumotion.net/t1418-mpc-hc-with-nvidia-optimus

I also noticed that some applications wont trigger the gpu even when "run with nvidia" is selected

These are 5-6 years old posts and still Nvidia has fix it.

I don't see why would you want Nvidia to decode video. Your CPU should easily handle software decoding and Intel HD 630 is also more than capable of hardware accelerated decoding of high bitrate/resolution compressed video.

Encoding is a different story.

EZTarget0

I have a new Lenovo Legion Y530 with Intel i5-8300H CPU with integrated Intel UHD630 video, and with nVidia GTX1050Ti / 4GB discrete graphics adapter.   I have some questions:

1) Is there an easy way to see when the 1050Ti is / was in-use (vs the Intel graphics).  Is usage logged, or is there a real-time "monitoring" tool I can use?.  (nVidia Control Panel is available from desktop Right-click, I haven't tried assigning 1050Ti to any games or applications).

2) This laptop came with nVidia driver version 24.21.13.9827 dated 6/13/2018.  Lenovo Support page for this laptop recommends and offers to download version 25.21.14.1630_WHQL.  Nvidia web site shows version 416.81 was released (by nVidia) on 08Nov 2018.  Are these the same driver set? OR  does Lenovo have "customized" driver files or settings in their nVidia driver sets? (Asus used to have customized graphics drivers for their discrete video cards).

3)  If the Lenovo graphics driver set (430MB) aren't customized, am I safe to download and install the latest GTX1050Ti (Notebook) driver page version 417.01 dated today 26Nov2018?

Thanks in advance for replies.

1) Yes!

https://ccm.net/faq/41241-nvidia-display-gpu-activity-icon-in-the-notification-area

2) and 3) I always prefer to use the newest GPU drivers from Nvidia. That's what I did for my Y530 and it works great so far.

OLDSALT65

Lenovo Y520-151KBN I'm disappointed that I can not play my Oculus Rift on it when it's advertised as VR ready. My Oculus will run on a GTX 1050TI card it is a shame the HDMI runs off the CPU and not the video card. Do you have a fix for it?

Len0vation

OLDSALT65,

I understood that the GTX1060 supports VR, but not the 1050TI, that is what I see with this system anyway.   The Intel i7 processor 8750H is capable, but the graphics hardware would also have to support that and seems to be the key to operability more than anything else.

Nitin1401

hi everyone/support,

having the same issue and spent days trying to find a solution but with no avail, you may be right as it seems a firmware issue as the GPU is not detected else I would have been able to install it. The bios option is very limited for the Lenovo legion Y720 and the option to swith graphic not available, see screenshot attached whereby it is available on the Lenovo Legion Y740.

Should it be great if a bios update for Lenovo Y720 in that sense be available from Lenovo team.

Looking forward to hear from yolegiony740.PNGy720.PNGmissing graphic select option

Contributors