01-27-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

139 Page Views

• Views: 139
  • Message 1 of 2

A review and comparison of Lenovo Legion Y520 & Y7000 laptops

2019-01-28, 6:34 AM

In this post I'm going to share my impressions of the Lenovo Legion Y520 (15IKBM) and Y7000. I'm hoping my feedback will help someone make an informed decision, and provide the Lenovo team with insights into developing better products.

I purchased the Y520 on December 2017 on BestBuy for $1100, here are the specs:

Model #: 80YY0074US

CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ

GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q 6GB VRAM

RAM: 16GB

Disk: 256GB SSD

Like:

- The asthetic of this laptop is great. The all black construction, textured cover and subdued logo make for a simple but pleasing asthetic.

- The keyboard on the Y520 is fantastic and super comfortable to type on.

- I love the red accents on the inside of the laptop, it's subdued on the outside, but 100% gamer on the inside.

- At the time, the price to spec ratio of this laptop was unmatched. Best value on the market.

Didn't like:

- The screen is very dim, I always have the brightness set to max, and is very hard to see outdoors.

- The hinge on the laptop screen is not very ridid, while it's easy to open with one hand, it also wobbles slightly when I type a lot.

- This model of the Y520 is missing a 2.5" drive bay, severely limiting its upgradeability. I solved this with an external hard drive, but it's a a really unfortunate omission.

I purchased the Y7000 on December 2018 on Costco for $1050, here are the specs:

Model #: 81LF0000US

CPU: Intel i7-8750H

GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 Max 6GB VRAM

RAM: 16GB

Disk: 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Like:

- The build construction of this laptop is really good, the screen hinge is sturdy, and the top of the laptop is made of metal, giving it a sturdy and premium feel.

- I love the asthetic of this machine (minus the lit up Y logo on the cover), it's a sleek device, slightly smaller than the Y520 and I prefer this hinge design to the Y530 or Y730 models.

- The screen is actually really good. While I would have prefered to have a high refresh rate panel, the 60hz panel included in this model is very bright and is a huge improvement from the Y520.

- The screen has really thin bezels around it, it looks great when opened, unfortunately this is also a minus since it resulted in a webcam positioned at the bottom (a nosecam).

- The keyboard is still really good, although the keys are a bit smaller than the Y520 since the device is overall smaller. Lenovo makes great laptop keyboards, and the inclusion of a full sized number pad is definitely appreciated.

- The thermal performance is great. The CPU and GPU are able to run at their max core clocks during extended gaming sessions. The fans get quite loud, but that's to be expected from a small powerhouse like this.

- All the important ports are on the back of the laptop. This is great, thanks Lenovo!

Didn't like:

- The lit up Y logo on the cover is super annoying to me. I mainly use this laptop as a desktop replacement connected to a monitor, so the light shining is always shining into my eyes. I wish Lenovo went with a more textured logo, as opposed to a lit up one, or gave users the option to turn off the light through their software.

- The webcam positioned at the bottom of the screen is not good. No one likes a nosecam, and this is one problem Lenovo needs to invest in.

- While the thermals are quite good, I feel there was a missed opportunity here. Both the Y530 and Y730 models have air exaust vents on the sides, in addition to the back. The Y7000 on the otherhand expells hot air only through the back of the laptop. Considering the devices are so similar, this seems like a missed opportunity.

Summary:

Overall I'm very happy with my purchases, and the Y7000 seems like a really great platform for future Lenovo products. Hopefully Lenovo can address the nosecam issue, remove the lit up logo, and improve thermals on the Y7000. As for the Y520, it feels like an outdated design compared to the Y7000, but I really do love the red accents and keyboard backlighting on the inside. Now my wife and I both have Legion gaming laptops, we choose Lenovo for our computing and gaming needs.

I really love the Lenovo Legion line of products. Keep it up Lenovo!

Options

6 Posts

01-27-2019

United States of America

8 Signins

139 Page Views

• Views: 139
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: A review and comparison of Lenovo Legion Y520 & Y7000 laptops

2019-01-30, 4:45 AM

I don't see my post on the board, maybe I edited it too many times?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms