Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

08-01-2019

Canada

29 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 1 of 5

Affected laptop, looking for a cause and solution

2020-08-20, 22:42 PM

My laptop Y740 has started to have problems with keyboard something like 3-4 months ago, and the problem just like that disappeared without my intervention. 2-3 days ago the problem reoccurred [the latest event I remember is cleaning the keyboard with cotton pad and isopropyl alcohol; the problem did not occur right after the cleaning]. I was suspecting that the problem could be caused by the small spill of my tea on the area of the keyboard but I am unsure if that is the main cause of this problem, and again the problem did not occur after the spill.

I'd like to know what may be causing the problem and how to solve it, or is it even solvable?

The behavior of the laptop:

My backlit keyboard is turning off on the interaction with the keyboard. Any randomly pressed key would either diminish the backlit or turn it completely off.

I can hear very quiet buzzing sound in my headsets when the backlit is ON [this has been happening since I bought this laptop] I thought it is caused by the GPU because when the GPU is running hard, the buzzing intensifies.

All keys work fine, although the hold key[ex. hold + o] sometimes is interrupted when writing. Hold key works fine in games though [at least I haven't got an opportunity to check it out].

When pressing menu start everything's fine but holding the menu start would occasionally turn of the backlit and monitor. The monitor comes back in, although sometimes it goes off for as long as I am holding menu start. The other times when holding menu start the monitor would flash quickly.

I think that would summarize it all. I reached out to the tech support, and unfortunately due to the covid they can't do the on-site investigation/repair and I can't really send it to the repair depot yet.

Waiting for your response.

Options

4689 Posts

01-22-2010

United States of America

39006 Signins

597346 Page Views

• Views: 597346
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Affected laptop, looking for a cause and solution

2020-08-21, 0:45 AM

Is it buzzing when it is running plugged in, just on battery, or both.

I've had to open various makes, models of various years and put thin paper between the keyboard cable and metal chassis parts because of interference.  You might have a doubtful ground in your outlet, you could try to plug it into a different outlet.  

Opening it up though could void your warranty, you  might have to send it in.

Dave 

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

17 Posts

08-01-2019

Canada

29 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-08-21, 1:52 AM

Okay, but my real problem is the keyboard itself. It does really odd things lately. When I am wiring now everything is fine and there's no problems with it.. and as soon as I go into menu start, search the keyboard goes nuts. It seems like pressing the keys active [ctrl+v} ONLY WHEN in windows10 windows, meaning menu start search, settings search, etc. 

This odd phenomena does not appear in google chrome, games. It is so strange. My backlit keyboard however always turns off. Now when I am holding the right arrow key, the problem completely disappears. As soon as I let it go and press other keys, the backlit keyboard will go off, and this strange ctrl+v thing starts to spam in my menu start search, etc. 

But you are right. I will have to send it in.. the problem is that it will take too long, sadly, to get it back. 

And now when I finished writing this the problem again disappeared. I don't understand that. If it was some sort of interference with the metal chasis or any other interference shouldn't the problem be existing all the time and easily reproducible? My problem seems to be so random and confusing. Now as I am editing this, nothing is happening. no backlit turns off nothing. It just like that fixed itself temporarly and I did literally nothing.

Options

4689 Posts

01-22-2010

United States of America

39006 Signins

597346 Page Views

• Views: 597346
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-08-22, 1:36 AM

It could be an intermittent connection problem with the keyboard and backlight connections on the motherboard. Maybe the plugs aren't seated completely on the board.

Any further diagnosis would involve opening it up.

Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

17 Posts

08-01-2019

Canada

29 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-12-25, 1:35 AM

The problem disappeared and now I am waiting for the reoccurance again.

Text below: I am going offtopic there

I think that my unit must be someohow flawed because I had problems with fans/thermals too and I don't know if that's a hardware issue or software issue. I'd give it a guess that the software for fan control has a flaw: Quiet thermal mode runs fans the fastest and loudest without reducing CPU and GPU performance. Balanced mode and Performance mode are both just for show and do nothing but limit my fan speeds. But I am already gettin off topic. Currently I am gaming on Quiet thermal mode because it runs the best [runs the loudest and has as much power as other thermal modes (funny isn't it? I think it supposed to be a little different than that)]

I tried reaching the customer service or tech service on multiple occasions but it never works out well. I had "scheduled" service tech to come repair or see the laptop but that never happened. 

I lost faith in Lenovo service and I gave up on finding a solution regarding my keyboard, which currently works, and thermals [in that case I can't even describe how frustrated I am]. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms