Options

7 Posts

01-11-2021

IN

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 13

Are fans supposed to completely stop while idle?

2021-01-11, 7:27 AM

I've bought Lenovo Legion 5pi recently. Been using it for more than a month. And I'm pretty sure that before when the laptop was idling - not doing any tasks, it was super quiet and fans were stopping completely. 

Now I moved to other city through the flight. Was carrying laptop with myself and was super careful with it. Overall it works well. It' much colder here, so definitely no problems with cooling. But even when laptop is idle, for example just having desktop and no apps active, the fans are still spinning. They are not loud, it's very low noise, but still noticible. I've tried switching modes with Fn+Q, including Quiet mode, but it doesn't change anything. 

I'm pretty sure that before fans were stopping completely and you could not hear them anymore at all. But now they are always running, even though it's cold here. 

So am I mistaken, or on Lenovo Legion 5pi fans never fully stop and it's normal for them to always run at least on low speed even when laptop is not loaded with anything? 

Solved! See the solution
Options

12 Posts

12-30-2020

RU

12 Signins

245 Page Views

• Views: 245
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:Are fans supposed to completely stop while idle?

2021-01-11, 9:31 AM

После 1.5 месяца работы   ноутбука (легион 5) тоже без причины начали шуметь вентиляторы . Писал писал в поддержку ,а положительных результатов нет. Придется обращаться в сервисный центр

Options

1518 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

171 Signins

8016 Page Views

• Views: 8016
  • Message 3 of 13

2021-01-11, 11:24 AM

Hi Storoj,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Some high end laptops might stop fans completely when under little stress, but most often than not they will just run very slow and silently. Over time they will often become more noticeable. Dust accumulation and the compact design, wear and tear can all be the result of this. It can also be the result of system board updates that affects fan control and the like, maybe intentionally or unintentionally.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

12 Posts

12-30-2020

RU

12 Signins

245 Page Views

• Message 4 of 13

2021-01-11, 11:34 AM

1.5 месяца ноутбуку и вентиляторы стали работать шумно, с посторонним, неприятным шумом и с рывком при включении вентиляторов при повышении нагрузки, как будто они чуть заклинили и не могут крутится в тихом режиме. Так же при снижении нагрузки они продолжают работать в шумном режиме достаточно долго и при  температуре процессора около 40 градусов

Options

7 Posts

01-11-2021

IN

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2021-01-11, 12:53 PM

Thank you for the reply!

It must have been some weird update, even though I didn't update anything before it started happening. I really liked it when it was completely silent though :( 

Wish there was a way to manually fix it, but after researching apparently there is no way to manually control the fan speed on laptops. And fan modes with Fn+Q don't seem to make any difference anymore. 

Options

11 Posts

10-30-2019

SE

12 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 6 of 13

2021-01-11, 17:22 PM

After like 3 months using my laptop. My fans did never turn of either. they kept going even when idle. I opened it up, cleaned the dust, changed the thermalpaste and then it was good again. Use a painting brush to clean the fans and the cooling grills.
And I also have a cooling pad, and when i did not have a cooling pad i used like a brick to lift the PC up from the back. To give it more air.

Options

7 Posts

01-11-2021

IN

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2021-01-12, 6:38 AM

@ Hyldran0 wrote:

After like 3 months using my laptop. My fans did never turn of either. they kept going even when idle. I opened it up, cleaned the dust, changed the thermalpaste and then it was good again. Use a painting brush to clean the fans and the cooling grills.
And I also have a cooling pad, and when i did not have a cooling pad i used like a brick to lift the PC up from the back. To give it more air.

The thing is it's not overheating, since I moved to a colder place and it started happening. Having cooling pad as well. Also been using it only for this short time. Opening it will mean that warranty will be cancelled, which is not good. But thank you for reply, Hyldran :) 

I'm sure that it has to do with system, some settings changed or unwanted update happened. The only thing I did was trying to change time it takes to turn off the screen and fall to sleep to be shorter in Windows. May be that was the cause. Who would think that it would affect it. Still not sure if it was the reason though. But there is no way to fix, sadly. 

Options

7 Posts

01-11-2021

IN

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2021-01-13, 5:42 AM

Ok, after the BIOS update the issue is solved now and fans do stop when there's not much load. Wanted to give an update. Will mark topic as solved. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

12 Posts

12-30-2020

RU

12 Signins

245 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2021-01-13, 9:58 AM

какую версию биоса поставили? Просто lenovo vantage не предлагает для установки  новую версий БИОС

Options

7 Posts

01-11-2021

IN

4 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2021-01-13, 10:28 AM

@ Alexey32123 wrote:

какую версию биоса поставили? Просто lenovo vantage не предлагает для установки  новую версий БИОС

BIOS EFCN46WW. Was version 38 before that. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms