Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okumam
Paper Tape
Views: 966
Message 1 of 6

BIOS says "invalid" for product name, serial number, MTM - y7000

I had my motherboard replaced due to heat issues.  I was looking at the bios for something else, and saw that the sytem says "invalid" for serial number, product name and mtm.  The lenovo vantage app incorrectly says it's an ideapad, and shows invalid serial number and model.  As a result, it cannot find any updates although I know there are some.

What do I need to do about this? 

Guru
Views: 958
Message 2 of 6

Re: BIOS says "invalid" for product name, serial number, MTM - y7000

You need to call whoever replaced the motherboard and ask them to update serial number, model etc...

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

okumam
Paper Tape
Views: 948
Message 3 of 6

Lenovo sent the tech. I don't have any way of contacting him. I guess I should schedule another visit by calling Lenovo. Unfortunately the contracting techs were awful about coming on time. They canceled 4 times before actually making it to the appointment.
Guru
Views: 938
Message 4 of 6

You can call support and they will send another tech.  I had the same problem with my my nephews laptop.  In the mean time your laptop will work just System update/lenovo vantage wont work for finding updated drivers.

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

okumam
Paper Tape
Views: 935
Message 5 of 6

Will they need to open it up, or is it more of a "go into bios, put a password in and change the information" kind of a thing?  I am asking to get an idea of how long it may take and if they'll need to send any parts.

Guru
Views: 910
Message 6 of 6

My nephew had an ideapad 730.  The computer wouldnt boot and the motherboard was replaced.  But they didnt update the serial number.  They insisted it had to be sent to factory.(Microcenter said this)  1 week later someone from Microcenter called my nephew and said just bring it in we can update without motherboard replacement.  So my nephew brought laptop back in.  1 day later they said it still needs to be shipped to Lenovo because the serial number couldnt be updated and they dont know why.  My nephew gave up since he needed it for college and picked up his laptop.  The serial number/model number issue was never fixed.  He just updates the software manually now when needed.

Whether its Ideapads or Thinkpads it seems like the technicians cannot remember to update serial numbers.  I have had 2 motherboard replacements on Thinkpads.  My A30p they forgot to update serial number and by the time i noticed warranty was expired so IBM never fixed it.  My W510 they almost forgot but since I had gotten onsite warranty after my experience with factory warranty with A30p I reminded the technician about the serial number while he was packing up.  He said "sorry i forgot" and then he got his disk to update it on the spot.  My nephew and and my nieces Ideapad that were fixed both times they forgot to update.  Microcenter actually claimed that serial numbers could not ever be updated they come from the factory with serial numbers and model numbers.   I am only talking about my personal experience and my sample size is obviously small so I cant say what happens to other people.  For me 3 out 4 times they forgot to update.  The one time it was done was the one time I was standing next to technician to make sure he updated serial number before he left.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors