Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

03-14-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

182 Page Views

• Views: 182
  • Message 1 of 4

Bad GPU hardware or driver?

2020-07-15, 0:29 AM

Hello,

I've had a Legion Y740 17" (NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2060 6 GB) for almost a year and recently started playing VR games with it. After waking the computer the following morning, I see these artifacts on my normally solid-color desktop (the lock screen image is much more corrupted).

The computer functions fine and any new drawn windows don't show this... it's just the Windows backgrounds/lock-screen images, and these artifacts disappear after some time too.

I have the latest NVIDIA drivers, but is it obviously faulty hardware (after being driven for hours at near 100% GPU)?  It would be a PITA to send this in for warranty repair as it's my main workstation too.

thanks!

GG5KHD

Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

329 Signins

14356 Page Views

• Views: 14356
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Bad GPU hardware or driver?

2020-07-15, 11:12 AM

Hi there goodguy5000hd

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I do find it weird that it only shows on the desktop background and the lockscreen, but on no other windows / folders / games popping up.

Does it show when booting up as well ? In the BIOS ? If not, then we can rule out a hardware fault I think.

Try to do a complete clean reinstall of the display drivers for your device. Not only can bad drivers cause problems, but incompatible drivers and old lingering drivers can as well.

Disabling Automatic Hardware Driver updates:

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Uninstall VGA with drivers and reinstall:

- Press the Windows key + X and select "Device Manager"

- Expand "Display Adapters"

- Right click the AMD, NVIDIA and/or INTEL VGA devices and select "Uninstall"

- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.

- Perform a restart of the laptop. 

Download and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page

Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then Display and Video Graphics

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

21 Posts

03-14-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

182 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2020-07-20, 20:37 PM

Thanks for the reply.

• I've not noticed it except after a VR gaming session (Oculus, Steam VR, NVIDIA near 90% for a few hours, CPU near 50%). 
  • It does appear on Windows apps as well, but after I resize them (forcing a redraw), they appear fine.
  • I don't notice it just after gaming, but rather the next morning after waking from sleep (no reboot).
  • After rebooting, I don't notice any problems, (perhaps until after the next gaming session.)
  • Lenovo Vantage says everything is up to date, NVIDIA drivers are kept up to date (according to the NVIDIA app).
  • Having noticed this just a few times, I've not had time recently for more gaming and to better characterize it, so I'll have to see if it returns and will have a better idea of the cause/symptoms.
Options

21 Posts

03-14-2018

United States of America

19 Signins

182 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-07-29, 18:32 PM

Well, I haven't been gaming lately, but the Adobe XD window showed this (on a second Windows "desktop") after a few days. It disappeared after scrolling the app window (forcing a repaint). No other windows or the Win10 desktop showed any corruption. GeForce driver app shows no available updates.

I assume it's a video card hardware problem, unless others believe it to be software for some reason.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms