Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-04-2020

Canada

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 3

Best docking station for Legion 7i

2020-09-04, 13:17 PM

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Legion 7i laptop (15IMH05).  I'd like to get a docking station to hold all my peripherals so that I can just have 1 or 2 cords attached vs. many.  I recognize the Legion 7i does not support Thunderbolt passthrough charging so the power cable will always need to be connected.

Could anyone recommend a good Thunderbolt docking station that doesn't have power passthrough that would be compatible with the Legion 7i?  I don't want to fry the new laptop and I haven't been able to find one through Lenovo or Google.

I don't need a ton of ports but it would be nice to have the ability to send sound out to speakers, monitor hookup, some USB A and USB C and potentially a Thunderbolt port for the future.

Any ideas or experience you have with a dock for Legion 7i would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Answer
Options

71 Posts

08-31-2020

United States of America

35 Signins

420 Page Views

• Views: 420

Re:Best docking station for Legion 7i

2020-09-04, 13:54 PM

The good news is that all USB-C docks use the same protocol, so literally just take your pick from Amazon, or Lenovo's Thinkpad line if you are so inclined.

Now... according to USB-C spec,  if you plug a power providing dock into a laptop that doesn't support it then nothing bad will happen.  The laptop should be designed to ignore the power.  I would feel 90% comfortable that Lenovo is adhering to that spec.  However, to be sure, just buy a dock that doesn't provide power.

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

71 Posts

08-31-2020

United States of America

35 Signins

420 Page Views

• Views: 420
  • Message 2 of 3

2020-09-04, 13:54 PM

The good news is that all USB-C docks use the same protocol, so literally just take your pick from Amazon, or Lenovo's Thinkpad line if you are so inclined.

Now... according to USB-C spec,  if you plug a power providing dock into a laptop that doesn't support it then nothing bad will happen.  The laptop should be designed to ignore the power.  I would feel 90% comfortable that Lenovo is adhering to that spec.  However, to be sure, just buy a dock that doesn't provide power.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

09-04-2020

Canada

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 3

2020-09-04, 19:27 PM
Awesome, thanks! Was hoping for thunderbolt if possible but there don’t seem to be many that don’t supply power and I’m not entirely sure I’m willing to gamble.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms