Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

09-13-2016

United States of America

2 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 1 of 5

Black Screen - Still Happening even after Rolling Back Windows 10 update

2016-09-13, 15:22 PM

Hi, all - 

Purchased a Lenovo Y700 17 inch laptop, with the NVIDIA GTX 960m 4GB card, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD and Windows 10 Home 64 bit.  Upon purchasing the computer, the laptop was bricked essentially 2 days after opening.   Couldn't get past the loading screen, and sometimes when I could, the laptop would shut off (screen wise) while still running, and need a hard reset to reboot.  

After finding lots of complaints online (the Windows 10 Anniversary Update being the culprit), I decided to reinstall windows without that edition (as it looks like there's no solution yet for that).   This included many restarts in safe mode, disabling all start up programs and testing it one process after another.  After reinstalling windows TWICE (I have a friend who carries USB sticks around 24/7 with every version of windows, and is the kind of guy Geek Squad would go to if they had problems), I still had issues, because the updates started to roll in automatically no matter what I did.   Since it was found in another thread that it's the Windows 10 Anniversary update causing the problems, I then turned all my WiFi connections to metered, in order to NOT get the Windows 10 anniversary update, and for at least a week, my computer worked well.   

Sadly, now only 2 weeks after it being shipped to me, it is back to daily cutting to black screen (hard drive is still running) usually when I web browse on chrome. This black screen of death still shows something running on the screen (it's like a dark navy blue, but nothing is displayed).  I tried the F2 or F3 feature to see if somehow it was switching modes, but to no avail.  I still have to do a hard reset, and then everythign works as normal.  I should also note, I still do NOT have the Windows 10 Anniversary update on this machine, so the black screen problem is still happening even without it.

I'd say "whatever" if this was my 6 year old Toshiba, but this is a 2 week old machine and I cannot imagine myself doing this over and over again.  Btw this latest version was a clean, non-bloatware version of Windows 10 Home 64 bit I'm running now, done as an install from a USB, and as far as I can tell for the last week, the black screen is now only happening when on battery power.   Can't confirm this 100%, but usually if I stay plugged in, I won't get a crash.

Windows Update has been increasingly mad that it cannot install the updates it wants to install (I get tons of notifcations that my updates are unable to finish), but until I see a fix for the Windows 10 Redstone Anniversary update, I have been hesitant to do anything other than use this workaround (because a random cut-out and reboot on an SSD is better than a 17 inch brick.  I even updated the most recent version of NVIDIA from the website themselves (Aug 31 update), yet Windows is still asking for driver updates to the NVIDIA.

Can anyone offer any solutions?  Is this a hardware issue, and if so, do I just call and have this mailed back to Lenovo?  I know this computer is under warranty for another 11 1/2 months, but I want to make sure I **bleep** this in the bud.

Thanks

Options

4 Posts

09-13-2016

United States of America

2 Signins

36 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re: Black Screen - Still Happening even after Rolling Back Windows 10 update

2016-09-13, 16:11 PM

Funny the "n i p in the bud" gets censored.   

Wanted to add, we updated the BIOS as well, and also removed McAfee and most of the Lenovo pre-installed programs.  

We separately (after talking to Customer Support) attempted to install and run the Lenovo Hardware scan, but after 2 hours of it still loading without any scan results (this hardware scan bug was actually how I found the Windows 10 Anniversary Thread/Work Around in the first place), I have given up on this being a viable solution.  

I have a laptop now that installs no updates (becauase I can no longer choose like in old Windows versions which to ignore and which to install), that still has blank/black screen cut outs while on battery power.   

Thanks all!

Options

299 Posts

08-27-2016

Greece

1478 Signins

7297 Page Views

• Views: 7297
  • Message 3 of 5

2016-09-15, 15:27 PM

Download and clean install windows iso from microsoft, with the anniversary update already included. Don't forget to install drivers from lenovo, especially intel drivers, like power management, as soon as setup is finished. If you don't, windows will install drivers from windows update, you don't want that

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Options

4 Posts

09-13-2016

United States of America

2 Signins

36 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2016-09-20, 16:49 PM

Clean install of Windows 10 was done, as well as each driver taken from the Lenovo Site and downloaded onto this jump drive.   The problem still persists (albeit intermittently).  I've had 2 screen blackouts in the last 8 days.  

Is there anyone else with an alternative solution or a fix being worked on?  I know I'm not crazy, and I know this is happening to other Y700s.

Thanks

Options

299 Posts

08-27-2016

Greece

1478 Signins

7297 Page Views

• Views: 7297
  • Message 5 of 5

2016-09-20, 17:03 PM
Do not install HD530 driver from lenovo. Instead let windows update install it for you and see how it goes

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms