Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

10-13-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 5

Booting from USB SSD

2020-10-13, 4:27 AM

Hello!

I have the Legion Y740-15ICHg and I decided it's the right time to upgrade to a bigger SSD, so I bought a nifty Samsung one and a USB enclosure. To make things easier, I would like to clone my old SSD to the new one, but Samsung's migration software doesn't recognize the SSD in the enclosure as a Samsung drive, so it refuses to do its thing. So, I want to flip it around and stick my old SSD into the enclosure and boot into that to clone to the Samsung drive that will be recognized inside my computer.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about doing this? Is there anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks a lot!

Answer
Options

4 Posts

10-13-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

Re:Booting from USB SSD

2020-10-15, 20:46 PM

Never mind, I figured it out. For all the other doofuses like me... unplug the source drive after cloning it to the target drive. 

You need to install Samsung's NVMe driver, but it will not detect because Lenovo has RST/RAID enabled by default. This sits on top of your AHCI controller and prevents Samsung's software from seeing it for what it actually is.

Boot normally, then enable Safe Boot. On restart, enter BIOS and change Controller type from RST to AHCI. It will give you a message saying that all existing data on the drives will be erased. I CANNOT GUARANTEE that what happened to me will happen to you, but nothing was erased for me. Make backups just in case.

When you save and exit, the computer will boot into Safe Mode. Disable Safe Boot and reboot one more time.

Now, you are running on Microsoft's AHCI drivers. I successfully installed the Samsung Driver and obtained compatibility with their software, along with my cloned drive.

So, I guess I solved my own problem. Hope this helps anyone else in this situation.

Replies(4)
Options

44 Posts

10-03-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

15 Signins

260 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 260
  • Message 2 of 5

2020-10-13, 18:13 PM

Sounds reasonable.

As long as the USB SSD is recognised by the BIOS, you should be able to select it as the primary boot device.

You might need to enable Legacy boot options, or something similar.

Options

4 Posts

10-13-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-10-14, 1:41 AM

Thanks Jimbo! I hope so too. Do you know how I would go about selecting boot options or devices? I've never messed with boot-stuff and it makes me nervous.

Options

4 Posts

10-13-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2020-10-15, 17:29 PM

Well, I've figured it out... but have a new problem. The Samsung SSD is in my computer and I can successfully USB boot from my old SSD. The issue is I cannot install Samsung's NVMe driver because it doesn't detect the internal SSD as a Samsung device, and so I can't use their software to clone. I think this may have to do with RST/RAID "taking over" the controller, but I can't boot if I switch to AHCI, even in safe mode.

Answer
Options

4 Posts

10-13-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-10-15, 20:46 PM

Never mind, I figured it out. For all the other doofuses like me... unplug the source drive after cloning it to the target drive. 

You need to install Samsung's NVMe driver, but it will not detect because Lenovo has RST/RAID enabled by default. This sits on top of your AHCI controller and prevents Samsung's software from seeing it for what it actually is.

Boot normally, then enable Safe Boot. On restart, enter BIOS and change Controller type from RST to AHCI. It will give you a message saying that all existing data on the drives will be erased. I CANNOT GUARANTEE that what happened to me will happen to you, but nothing was erased for me. Make backups just in case.

When you save and exit, the computer will boot into Safe Mode. Disable Safe Boot and reboot one more time.

Now, you are running on Microsoft's AHCI drivers. I successfully installed the Samsung Driver and obtained compatibility with their software, along with my cloned drive.

So, I guess I solved my own problem. Hope this helps anyone else in this situation.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms