Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Gaming – Lenovo LegionGaming Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

09-03-2017

Poland

7 Signins

103 Page Views

• Views: 103
  • Message 1 of 3

Brand new Legion y520 freezing randomly.

2017-09-03, 17:20 PM

Hello.

I've had my new laptop for just 8 days and it has frozen on me at least once everyday since i got it. When it freezes, nothing works, one thing i can do is to perform a hard shutdown by pressing down power button.

When it is freezing I can hear its work, however the image and sound entirely are stopping.

All drivers are up to date. I checked that by using "Lenovo Companion". I checked state of the system as well and everything was "OK".

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Product name: Lenovo Y520 15IKBN  type: 80WK

Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Answer
Options

55 Posts

06-04-2017

United States of America

419 Signins

2005 Page Views

• Views: 2005

Re: Brand new Legion y520 freezing randomly.

2017-09-04, 4:09 AM

Hey,

You might have the same issue as my Y520 - a bad motherboard. The freeze usually occurs when I'm watching videos or playing games but is extremely random and hard to replicate on command. The laptop doesn't seem to freeze if left on idle. I tried everything to get rid of the freeze (multiple recoveries and reformats, swapping the removable hardware, updating drivers, logging temperatures and events) to no avail. If you contact Lenovo, they'll probably ask you to go through the OneKey recovery steps first to reset your laptop. After that, if the freeze still occurs, then you can call them back to talk about further options. Since your laptop is still new, you can try to exchange it or otherwise you can send it to Lenovo Repair to replace the motherboard. The process took about 2 weeks for me (mostly shipping time since they completed the repair in a single day amazingly). My laptop hasn't been freezing since.

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

55 Posts

06-04-2017

United States of America

419 Signins

2005 Page Views

• Views: 2005
  • Message 2 of 3

2017-09-04, 4:09 AM

Hey,

You might have the same issue as my Y520 - a bad motherboard. The freeze usually occurs when I'm watching videos or playing games but is extremely random and hard to replicate on command. The laptop doesn't seem to freeze if left on idle. I tried everything to get rid of the freeze (multiple recoveries and reformats, swapping the removable hardware, updating drivers, logging temperatures and events) to no avail. If you contact Lenovo, they'll probably ask you to go through the OneKey recovery steps first to reset your laptop. After that, if the freeze still occurs, then you can call them back to talk about further options. Since your laptop is still new, you can try to exchange it or otherwise you can send it to Lenovo Repair to replace the motherboard. The process took about 2 weeks for me (mostly shipping time since they completed the repair in a single day amazingly). My laptop hasn't been freezing since.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

31 Posts

02-17-2018

Poland

49 Signins

694 Page Views

• Views: 694
  • Message 3 of 3

2019-04-02, 13:48 PM

Hey, did you solve your problem? I'm facing the same issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms